How Are Your Members Applying the 3 Minute Rule?

brfcfan

Visit site
There is a debate ongoing at our club whether it is etiquette for someone to pull out a watch and time somebody looking for their ball.

I was pretty much on the fence with this but recently I have been involved in a game or 2 and 1 or 2 words have been said when someone has said "I think the 3 mins is up lets move on", and it has not gone down too well.

I love golf and play it in a relaxed environment but I have to say I am thinking about taking a watch out on every round and timing looking for lost balls including my own.

If I was playing with you and I timed you looking for your ball, would you think I was a bit of a you know what, or do you think it is acceptable? (Does it depend if I am your mate or someone you have just met?)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I generally time my own searches. Some of my playing partners are happy for me to check theirs but I dont often do it.
I feel that in comps that a search should always be timed.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I wouldn't mind. I wear a watch and time myself and will let others know gently than 3 mins is up.
Its not like I am there with a stop watch saying ready steady go.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I'd be more than happy for someone to be doing the timing providing they had the courtesy to look for my ball at the same time and weren't standing there looking at their watch tapping their toes and tutting until the three minutes were up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never seen anyone time a search in all the years I have been playing.
I wouldn’t bother me.
I never wear a watch when playing.
I think some kind of timer on a trolley would help the search ,when the buzzer goes its lost.

IanMcC

Visit site
My GPS watch is strapped to my trolley. When I look for a ball in a comp one button press flips it form yardage to actual time. Once 3 minutes is up, ball is lost. Simples.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i had to resort to a cheap stopwatch for my bag, after a few matches where my oppo would look for a ball well over 5 mins let alone 3. i don't wear a watch on the course so that seemed the sensible option. only tend to bring it out for matches, in strokeplay if the two others are agreeing the times up its not that bad, but in a one to one situation it can be a problem esp ig you are in the middle of the fairway and your oppo is in waste high rough;)

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I get your point. The rule is the rule, so the fact someone times the search probably SHOULDN'T be an issue. However, in reality, we all know that certain golfers will take great exception in this, and could make things very uncomfortable. I suppose that is true when questioning some golfers on any rules issue. So, unless you have a pretty thick skin, I can't imagine any golfers ever timing a search. And, many golfers have the attitude "we are just here to have fun, so I'm not bothered if the 3 minutes has run over a little or not" and so wouldn't want to time a shot anyway (I like that attitude in general by the way, although it does little to protect the field if other players in other groups are not getting the same flexibility).

Perhaps Committees should actively encourage players to time searches if they have a watch or timer on their trolley. May especially be a good idea if slow play is considered an issue at that club. If the Committee are constantly requesting searches to be times, there'd be less "guilt" by players doing so, and less scope for players to get angry for being timed. Just a thought.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Surely Garmin (other manufacturers are available) could add a Countdown type clock to their devices !

I haven't found it an issue. Perhaps it's easier to find wayward balls on my course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If looking for a players ball and it not being found almost immediately - I'll look a little bit longer and then say to the player that 'Not looking good - anyway - I'm thinking your time is about up'. I don't say it is up as I don't actually know that - but I say this so that the player looking is aware that I am aware of the 3 minutes search time. And generally what happens then is that we look for a very short time more and if not found then give the ball up as lost.

I have no idea whether the wider club membership are trying to keep to the 3mins limit. But my regular Saturday morning roll-up group of up to 36 members does.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spent more than 5 minutes waiting on a tee today because the guy in front playing on his own would just not accept it was a lost ball.

Therein lies the real problem.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I spent more than 5 minutes waiting on a tee today because the guy in front playing on his own would just not accept it was a lost ball.

its the fault of people who insist in playing with pricelss Gutties that old Tom Morris won his opens with and just can't accept its lost.... :ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Your allowed as long as you like when on your own!
But must call anyone waiting through, that’s just bad manners!