How Are Your Members Applying the 3 Minute Rule?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt that the R&A & USGA devise any rule on the basis that they don't expect the average club golfer to abide by it. Equally I don't doubt that the authorities have no interest at all in what consenting adults do in their social golf.

You may never have knowingly been timed by another player nor ever seen a player timing another one. Why should you have? What should be happening is other players timing themselves whether visibly or not and you timing yourself. There seems to be a misplaced concentration in this and another recent thread on a perceived inappropriateness or even absurdity of timing other players. It is no player's responsibility to apply the Rules to anyone else but himself or herself. It is for the player and the player alone to know when the search for his own ball is timed out, to know when he finds his ball whether it is his ball in play (found in time) or not in play (not found in time). It is thus the player's responsibility to ensure that he has some reliable method of measuring time passing, no-one else's. Another player can only report to the committee or ask for a ruling in match play if he thinks another player has played his ball found after three minutes, but unless he can confirm that he timed the search with a watch or other timing device, he might as well not bother.

There's no good reason for thinking that the Rules should dictate how timing must be done any more than you should think that a recipe should tell you how to measure 40 minutes cooking time.

Since it is the player's responsibility to time himself, there is no difficulty in his knowing when his search started and that's finally what matters. Knowing when someone else's search begins is usually a matter for a referee, but if you think another player or your opponent is at and searching for too long, my advice is to watch what happens. You'll generally see the player walking along towards an area and although he may well obviously be looking ahead to spot his ball, that is not part of his search. When you see him slow down, stop perhaps to drop off his trolley or bag, begin to cast around a limited area with his head down while perhaps poking around in the grass with a club, he has started his search. It isn't precise and can never be precise. When refereeing, I am careful to start my watch only when I have no doubt that the search has started. That gives the player a some leeway, but allows me to stop the search bang on three minutes after that. I need to be confident that there is no question but that the ball is lost.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What has changed re precision? Did players who were lax before suddenly lax now?
5 mins is quite a long time in comaparison, but i know of guys no matter how long you were allowed to search they would go over it... always treat a lost ball like it was a priceless object that had been in the family 200 years

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
m5 mis is quite a long time in comaparison, but i know of guys no matter how long you were allowed to search they would go over it... always treat a lost ball like it was a priceless object that had been in the family 200 years
I think this hits the nail on the head. I'm not convinced they ever go on to find their ball in that extra time but blimey it is painful to be behind, be a part of etc. Some people just push things.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think this hits the nail on the head. I'm not convinced they ever go on to find their ball in that extra time but blimey it is painful to be behind, be a part of etc. Some people just push things.
one of the guys at my club who sis well known for not giving up a search. was made to DQ, lost a ball on the old 7th, kept on looking didn't go back and hit a prov, so the other two carried on played 8th and 9th without him, he caught them up on the 9th tee as they stopped at the Bothy, said he's found it and gave them his scores for the 3 holes. they told him he would be DQ'd for not playing the holes with them and searching for his ball well over the 5 mins (told it was more liike 10) hissy fit threw the scorecard he was keeping at them and walked in

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
m5 mis is quite a long time in comaparison, but i know of guys no matter how long you were allowed to search they would go over it... always treat a lost ball like it was a priceless object that had been in the family 200 years

hmmm - maybe I'd spend less time looking for my ball if a PP chucked me a ball of same make and model and told me to have it to replace the one I was looking for...

(not to play you'll understand - to keep and to compensate me for my terrible loss)

So my ball stops on very edge of the hole but doesn't drop. Do I turn to my PPs and say 'close enough - that's in'. No we don;t. I have no issues with strict adherence to the 3mins and no issues if anyone times me. Even in casual golf. In fact I'd rather practice and get used to keeping within 3mins in rounds that don't really matter. Lost two balls on Saturday when I don;t normally lose balls. I called 3mins on myself in both cases even though I think I might have found them if I'd kept going.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
one of the guys at my club who sis well known for not giving up a search. was made to DQ, lost a ball on the old 7th, kept on looking didn't go back and hit a prov, so the other two carried on played 8th and 9th without him, he caught them up on the 9th tee as they stopped at the Bothy, said he's found it and gave them his scores for the 3 holes. they told him he would be DQ'd for not playing the holes with them and searching for his ball well over the 5 mins (told it was more liike 10) hissy fit threw the scorecard he was keeping at them and walked in

Reminds me once of leaving a player to look for their ball (lost tee shot) on a long par 4 the other two of us were just about to tee off on the next hole when he joined us.

RulesGuy

Visit site
There is a debate ongoing at our club whether it is etiquette for someone to pull out a watch and time somebody looking for their ball.

I was pretty much on the fence with this but recently I have been involved in a game or 2 and 1 or 2 words have been said when someone has said "I think the 3 mins is up lets move on", and it has not gone down too well.

I love golf and play it in a relaxed environment but I have to say I am thinking about taking a watch out on every round and timing looking for lost balls including my own.

If I was playing with you and I timed you looking for your ball, would you think I was a bit of a you know what, or do you think it is acceptable? (Does it depend if I am your mate or someone you have just met?)

I have been busy. I asked two questions to 60 golfers from my own and other clubs by email, in person and whatsapp. The golfers were from a wide demographic and I got 57 replies. The questions were:

How do you time yourself when searching for your ball? and;
How do you time the person whose card you are marking?

Non of the respondents said they use a watch etc.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been busy. I asked two questions to 60 golfers from my own and other clubs by email, in person and whatsapp. The golfers were from a wide demographic and I got 57 replies. The questions were:

Didn't ask me as I use a watch.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you don't use a watch or similar device for measuring the passage of time, then the correct answer to the question "How do you time yourself searching for a ball' is, "I don't time it."

User20204

Visit site

Did any of them say they used their phone ?
A stop watch ?
An egg timer ?
The sun ?

Come on man, elaborate !

RulesGuy

Visit site
Apart from a couple of jokers who said sundials the nearest to any semblance of timing was 1 mississippi 2 mississippi etc. The general consensus was that common sense is used and some said that they had a quick look and then cracked on with it. I must say that I am intrigued by what appears to be a wholesale substitution of the 3 minutes for what people feel is 'right'. I cant think of another rule that may have been substituted in this manner. There is of course always the danger that this small sample is utterly unrepresentative and that the reality is that everyone is as assiduous as Chellie.

Colin you are correct. My next 60 victims will be asked 'how do you know when the 3 minutes is up?'. My money is on me getting the same answers

User20204

Visit site
I stated earlier in this topic that a couple weeks back I hit my ball in to the woods, as I approached it I got out the timer on my phone and started it as I got to the area where I believed my ball to be.

After 1.39 seconds my PP's started to walk away, in a manner that they thought the time was up, I had almost twice as long left.

Swango1980

Visit site
I stated earlier in this topic that a couple weeks back I hit my ball in to the woods, as I approached it I got out the timer on my phone and started it as I got to the area where I believed my ball to be.

After 1.39 seconds my PP's started to walk away, in a manner that they thought the time was up, I had almost twice as long left.
1.39 seconds. That was harsh of them
Not even the Red Bull pit crew can change Verstappens tyres in that time.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

I think that was half the reason for the change, most people when guessing give up pretty quickly anyway.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If it's a competitive round then I will time it as I have a GPS watch. I'd have no issue if someone timed me, it's the rules and that's the way it is. When I've refereed finals I've been extra sure to keep an eye on the time.
If playing with friends in a bounce game then nobody really times it, we generally have a good luck and if it's not immediately obvious we move on. Always taking into consideration anyone who is behind us.
However, the time you are allowed to look for a lost tee is unlimited!

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have always used the stopwatch on my wristwatch to either time myself or fellow competitors when looking for a ball, like others have said how else do you know when the time is up, I have never made a point of it just start the stopwatch when the search begins, once the time is up just say I think thats about time up and lets move on.