Hollow irons

D

Deleted member 1147

Spoke to a friend today who has ping i500s … said he occasionally has big fliers with short irons.

D

Deleted member 1147

A mate of mine, he's a local PGA Pro, had similar issues
He ditched his i500 set, and went to a Titleist CB set
I tried the i500s and the spin was incredibly low. But the i210s had too much spin.
So I bought Mizzys.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spoke to a friend today who has ping i500s … said he occasionally has big fliers with short irons.

Our pro had the same issue with his i500 so went back to his s55's. My brother also sailed one over the back of our 180 yard 17th with a "p7" something TM iron. Thankfully never had the same issue with my Mavrik Pros.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our pro had the same issue with his i500 so went back to his s55's. My brother also sailed one over the back of our 180 yard 17th with a "p7" something TM iron. Thankfully never had the same issue with my Mavrik Pros.

@bluewolf also had issues with the p790’s

He could larrup the long irons like the son of Palmer and Trevino but cacked his pants when he had to hit higher than a 7 iron due the crazy distance results.

It was funny to watch but also concerning that a bit of kit could seriously affect a persons form.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

He could larrup the long irons like the son of Palmer and Trevino but cacked his pants when he had to hit higher than a 7 iron due the crazy distance results.

It was funny to watch but also concerning that a bit of kit could seriously affect a persons form.

After the season @bluewolf has had he should be playing Tilteist blades #baller

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got the P790's and they are one of the best irons I've used. They look amazing, feel good (maybe not true forged blade buttery) and they perform very well. The only times I get flyers is out of rough, but then what club can't you get those from.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With all this talk of flyers, has anyone seen any data on what causes one to happen.

Is it possible they are more likely if you swing excessively from the inside and shallow. This sounds like you catch more grass between the ball and face rather than coming from the outside and a little steeper.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With all this talk of flyers, has anyone seen any data on what causes one to happen.

Is it possible they are more likely if you swing excessively from the inside and shallow. This sounds like you catch more grass between the ball and face rather than coming from the outside and a little steeper.
There not flyers imo. Mine were off the fairways.
They are perfect shots, it’s how we would hit the ball if everything was 100% on every shot
But most ams only get 70/80% out of most shots.
Just a theory of mine.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I think if I were in that position I'd combo the set with something like the P770. Mind you I'd love to be in that position! #hackerhere

i*windows

Visit site
I have a set of Lynx Forged VT irons and a new set of PXG Gen3, The Lynx feel better and look better, but I have had the more than the odd shot which just goes so much further than the others, I'm hoping the PXG behave a little better, if not I'll go back to a single piece forged club.

evemccc

Visit site
Really like the look of the 225s....but I suspect I won't be buying new........
Might try and pick up a used set in the autumn.

I don’t know how much a second hand set would be, but I imagine a second hand set doesn’t save as much as if it ordinarily would (what with the relative increase of the second hand club marketplace in the last couple of years

I’d also recommend the 2nd Swing YouTube channel video of the JPX 921 Forged 7 iron being hit with 6 different KBS shafts — shafts in irons affect things massively, and this video is a superb example of that. The guy hitting it is a pro who is obvs very good

Maybe I’m a mug, but it convinced me to buy new irons and get a decent fit for shafts and head, when I do buy new irons

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I suppose you have to add the new Ping i525 to this now..
Although reviews say it's loud....there's a thing..:whistle:

Aren't they all though? Some of the reviews I've seen say Ping have worked to dampen the sound. It's always difficult to compare the sound from an indoor simulator with being outdoors. They do look nice and will be looking forward to trying these

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pro I'm seeing tomorrow has the 525 irons to demo, says I can have a hit.
Suspect I won't be able to tell much at the moment but I'm looking forward to it anyways

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Suspect I won't be able to tell much at the moment but I'm looking forward to it anyways
Hadn't really given them a second thought and they had gone off my radar but the slightly stronger lofts and higher launch has me interested. Hoping my pro will have them soon or can get a demo into the shop.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very nice looking iron and felt very solid off th face, would need to hit some other brands to see how it stacks up but would I buy a set, yes can't see why not.