Hollow irons

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have the SIM2 irons. Not sure if they are foam filled but they are taking a bit of getting used to moving from MP18s.

They sound and feel a bit dead, they go well enough and far enough but no feedback on strike.

Can’t say about pitches etc as I still use my S18 50 degree for those.

I found the P790's feel a bit dead but they still fly, I think it may just be a characteristic of these type of clubs and takes some getting used to.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So nobody (so far) has experienced any fliers.

I have a theory, that people who blame the "hot" club for a random flier, generally don't make solid contact with the ball or don't have an accurate understanding of how far they hit each iron, especially off downhill lies etc...

Funnily enough the assistant pro at our club got rid of her flex face irons because of the flyer issue & I'd wager her strike was a lot better than most on here.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PXG Gen 3’s just feel like super soft forged clubs.

I was hitting the brand new 790’s the other day in my lesson.

Same shaft etc.

Felt honking tbh but flew exactly the same (7 iron only).

I think hot spots exist on most clubs tbh. Sometimes the moon, Jupiter and the Stars are in alignment. then you properly flush one and it Flys. So instead of taking credit for you personally hitting a club like you can, you instead blame the club for overshooting the green..

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any owners of TaylorMade P790, 770, Mizuno 225 (probably too new) irons with hollow foam filled cavities. I think PXG and Cobra have similar models too. How do you find them?

Not thinking about long iron/utility, more interested in the regular short and middle irons. Do you get the odd one which flies off the face very hot, how do they handles short pitching shots, any other feedback?

I used Mavrik Pro irons for last season and don't see myself changing anytime soon. They don't look that great in hand and they dont have the bladed type look of the hollow irons you mention, but, I can safely say at address they look fantastic, they feel great for a non forged iron, and my handicap has never been as low (4).

The long irons 3, 4,5 are as easy to hit as the short irons and I can flight them high or low. I have never once had a flier off the club face and find my distance control is good. My only criticism is that the lofts are strong (44 degree pw) so I've had to put another wedge in.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've owned P770 and Titleist AP3. I have never encountered any fliers or hotshots, but I would agree with a couple of the poster above, they did feel dead to me which was a bit disappointing as the P770 were lovely looking clubs.

Despite what the sig says I currently have Miuras in the bag and definitely prefer that forged type of feel/feedback.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used Mavrik Pro irons for last season and don't see myself changing anytime soon. They don't look that great in hand and they dont have the bladed type look of the hollow irons you mention, but, I can safely say at address they look fantastic, they feel great for a non forged iron, and my handicap has never been as low (4).

The long irons 3, 4,5 are as easy to hit as the short irons and I can flight them high or low. I have never once had a flier off the club face and find my distance control is good. My only criticism is that the lofts are strong (44 degree pw) so I've had to put another wedge in.

What wedge set up have you gone for?

I have ap3s which are super strong at 43 pw. Had to buy a new gap at 50 to plug some of the distance as I usually had a 52. Could really have gone for a 48 tbh.

There is obviously still a big jump from 43 to 50. When I do find myself in that tricky area. The wind usually dictates if I hit an easy pw or full 52.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
No disrespect but the flier issue seems to poke its head up with the golfer that actually finds the sweet spot on occasion and has a decent swing speed. I desperately wanted to like the titleist ap3 but had a major problem with the odd flier

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not hollow heads but after playing Mizuno MX-23 irons for several years I got my handicap down to single figures, thanks in a large part to a very tidy short game.

In getting there I picked up quite a decent sum in winnings and so to reward myself I bought a set of JPX 825 Pro irons.

I can't say I remember hitting any fliers but what I did find was that on chips the ball jumped off the face, it completely threw my short game, I started switching round with my old shorter clubs and over a couple of years lost all confidence and developed the yips.

My short game is still dire, such is the fragility of the golfer's brain.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I've owned P770 and Titleist AP3. I have never encountered any fliers or hotshots, but I would agree with a couple of the poster above, they did feel dead to me which was a bit disappointing as the P770 were lovely looking clubs.

Despite what the sig says I currently have Miuras in the bag and definitely prefer that forged type of feel/feedback.

I also owned the P770's, I didn't notice any fliers but I also didn't get on with the feel. I moved to a P7MB / P7MC mix and I couldn't be happier. The P770's are a great set of irons though if you're not after that forged feel and want a little extra help.

oleinone

Visit site
Ping G700 - very pleased. High launching with my swing. Fliers - if , on the rare occasions, I really really flush one it goes but I don't think that's any different to any club.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the Titleist T200s they are hollow and very consistent.
No flyers off the fairways.
The loft is strong but they launch pretty high which is what I wanted as a low ball hitter.
You can put the T100s in the short irons as a combo, but I have had no problem with the 200s.
Look great at address not to big.

sunshine

Visit site
Not hollow heads but after playing Mizuno MX-23 irons for several years I got my handicap down to single figures, thanks in a large part to a very tidy short game.

In getting there I picked up quite a decent sum in winnings and so to reward myself I bought a set of JPX 825 Pro irons.

I can't say I remember hitting any fliers but what I did find was that on chips the ball jumped off the face, it completely threw my short game, I started switching round with my old shorter clubs and over a couple of years lost all confidence and developed the yips.

My short game is still dire, such is the fragility of the golfer's brain.

But these aren’t hollow irons with a trampoline face. They are forged cavity back irons.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought my father some PXG 0211 DC irons with graphite shafts for his birthday this year and they actually felt better than my P770's. This may have been down to the shafts.
My dad also hasn't noticed any fliers but he absolutely loves them, I think he finds the lighter overall weight a lot easier to swing than the heavy steel shafts he used to have in his Mizuno's.
They are crazy long though as the loft of his 7 iron is closer to my 5 iron so it's not something I would choose to use but I can see why he likes them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When they came out I was quite tempted by the HMB. Had a few goes and was almost on the brink of buying them. Looked good ( was using MP4 blades at the time) good distance and were pretty forgiving. I was invited to play a Texas Scramble with a friend of a friend who was off +3 and two other guys off scratch at muir of ord. The plus guy had just got the Hmb on a whim that week. He had at least 3 flyers with them, 2 of which included a lost ball. Two approach shots went a good 30 yards plus too far with a 7 iron. one was something to behold. Carried the green and landed some 20 to 30 yards into a farmers field full of cabbages. It was funny at the time but put me off them none the less. I belive he got shot of them the next week

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
What wedge set up have you gone for?

I have ap3s which are super strong at 43 pw. Had to buy a new gap at 50 to plug some of the distance as I usually had a 52. Could really have gone for a 48 tbh.

There is obviously still a big jump from 43 to 50. When I do find myself in that tricky area. The wind usually dictates if I hit an easy pw or full 52.

I go 44 pw, 48 gw (same as the set) then 52 and 56. Sometimes I swap the 56 for a 58 if I'm playing a course with deep bunkers. But most of the time I just keep the 56 in and open it if I need too.

Just been watching the videos of your swing mate. Looking good. A lot less flatter than I remember.

Boomy

Visit site
P790’s here, love them, a sweet strike feels fantastic, and I get feedback from non sweet strikes ??‍♂️ I’ve not experienced any fliers that I’m aware of ? Very happy with them, moved from Titleist AP2’s to the TM P790.