Iron Testing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No launch monitor at this stage just range balls so I could see flight at range. Once narrowed down I'll go for a proper fitting
Again I think acoustics on a range and on a course may sound different as feel with proper balls will change too. Even without a monitor are you seeing any differences in distance and dispersion compared to your current clubs

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
So, I've worked through 4 new irons on my bucket list, and surprisingly so far I've been disappointed.

I won't be buying unless there is an improvement on the irons that I have. Input appreciated

Rave reviews on American forums for Callaway Epic Forged irons. I haven't seen a single negative review.
Super expensive though...in line with exotic Japanese models.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
AP3 man here. Have made a considerable difference to my game. Gapping can be a little tricky towards the end of the bag but overall wouldn’t change them (well, at the moment anyway!!)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So, I've worked through 4 new irons on my bucket list, and surprisingly so far I've been disappointed.

1. Firstly was Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal. I had high hopes for this, but was disappointed with the feel and the distance was no better. In addition it felt heavy with stock shaft at 105g.

2. Second up was Cobra King, couldn't get away with these at all. No feedback.

3. Thirdly was Ping G410 this had a horrible popping sound which I felt off putting.

4. Forth was Ping I500 which again I didn't take to.

I am much happier with my Cleveland CG16 fitted with stiff 85g shafts, the feel, feedback and flight is great. However I've had these about 7 years.

I'm yet to try the following on the list:-
Callaway Apex CF19
Titleist T200/AP3
TaylorMade P790
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged.

I won't be buying unless there is an improvement on the irons that I have.

Input appreciated

Was that the Nippon Modus 105; and if so what flex?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes it was think it was regular

The difference between an 85g shaft and 105g is night and day. I am not a fan of the Hot metal range, the forged are plenty forgiving and offer far more in terms of forgiveness/dispersion tightness. Try them with a KBS stiff 90 and you’ll see a massive difference imo. Having said that, there’s no telling if a different head/shaft combination would work even better, and for that I would advise a proper fitting with launch monitor and a full range of options. Any way you cut it, it’s great fun looking for a new set of irons so enjoy the process, once you find “the ones” you won’t need to do this for a very long time (unless you make significant swing changes).

I asked in light of this comment as the Nippon Modus 105 regular and the KBS Tour 90 stiff produced almost identical figures for me. Whilst the figures suggest that there will be about 15g between them, according to the Mizuno website the actual weight difference is 1g.

I went with the Nippon primarily for the feedback; the KBS felt great on every shot, but I couldn't tell you where I'd hit the ball on the club face, I'd only know from the result. The Nippon only felt great out of the middle & I could tell as soon as I'd hit the shot what the result would be.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I asked in light of this comment as the Nippon Modus 105 regular and the KBS Tour 90 stiff produced almost identical figures for me. Whilst the figures suggest that there will be about 15g between them, according to the Mizuno website the actual weight difference is 1g.

I went with the Nippon primarily for the feedback; the KBS felt great on every shot, but I couldn't tell you where I'd hit the ball on the club face, I'd only know from the result. The Nippon only felt great out of the middle & I could tell as soon as I'd hit the shot what the result would be.

Ah. I thought it the Nippon was stiff too, all valid points above!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you want to see a good contrast, check out the lofts on the Louisville Golf website for their Tony Stewart irons. They're a club weaker than what we had in the 1960s.

Do you mean their Tom Stewart range?
Those are hickory and so have 1930s lofts. The table below shows loft creep through the decades, I've updated it with a couple of models from 2019 including the Callaway Epic Forged, which has had to squeeze in two additional wedges due to the extreme loft cranking!

My favourite dates for lofts are the 1960s/70s, when a PW was 52 degrees and a gap wedge was unheard of.
The Epic Forged are roughly three clubs stronger than this and will also have a shaft length equivalent to their loft, eg the 8 iron is pretty much the same loft as 1970s 5 iron and has a length of 37", the same as the 1970s 5 iron length.....

1578167290251.png

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The modern stampings are simply something with which we have to live because most clubmakers don't offer the option of stamping actual loft instead of club number.
The problem is when they go too short for the loft. Then we have to order long and flat to compensate, and the swing-weights get a little heavier.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah. I thought it the Nippon was stiff too, all valid points above!
Look at the profile for me Nippon feels a little soft so tip stiffness is high torque and kbs felt a bit rough or abrupt .. but I don’t know which end is giving me that.

Also head weight is critical as it can totally change a shafts feel, so what is good in one iron may be poor in another unless the head weight are very similar