Holes made by deer hooves in bunker

D-S

Visit site
I understand that under 16.1 c you get free relief from a hole made by an animal in a bunker. How do you distinguish between a hoof print and a hole. A hole is quite likely to be made by the hoof/paw etc. just as a ’print’ is. Also I assume it is a dropped ball for relief in a bunker?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is in the definitions

Animal Hole

Animal Hole/1 – Isolated Animal Footprint or Hoof Mark Is Not Animal Hole

An isolated animal footprint that is not leading into an animal hole is not a hole made by an animal but rather is an irregularity of the surface from which relief without penalty is not allowed. However, when such damage is on the putting green, it may be repaired (Rule 13.1c(2) – Improvements Allowed on Putting Green).

D-S

Visit site
So if a deer paws the ground in a bunker then that is defined as a hole but if it walks through it then the resultant holes are not holes? Is there a guide to tell the difference as it is extremely unlikely that one could witness how the hole/print is created?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So if a deer paws the ground in a bunker then that is defined as a hole but if it walks through it then the resultant holes are not holes? Is there a guide to tell the difference as it is extremely unlikely that one could witness how the hole/print is created?
If it paws at the ground there will be sand/soil thrown away from the ‘hole’, a print is just an indentation and I expect it will be fairly obvious which is which.

D-S

Visit site
If it paws at the ground there will be sand/soil thrown away from the ‘hole’, a print is just an indentation and I expect it will be fairly obvious which is which.
My specific question refers to holes/prints in a bunker where I think such a distinction would be far less obvious.

salfordlad

Visit site
Best approach if it is a regular/repeating problem (deer that demonstrate poor etiquette by failing to rake bunkers after they have been through) is have the Committee use MLR F-13, which can be limited to bunkers if desired.

IslaG

Visit site
How can a hoof print in a bunker ever be isolated? Does the deer only have one leg? Or perhaps hopped in? A flamingo print I could understand but a solitary deer print ….

salfordlad

Visit site
How can a hoof print in a bunker ever be isolated? Does the deer only have one leg? Or perhaps hopped in? A flamingo print I could understand but a solitary deer print ….
Sure, the prints likely come in groups, but not always - different bunker conditions, even within the same bunker - may mean one or few prints are in evidence. But that guidance is simply saying that an animal meandering through a bunker does not create a GUR relief situation whether that be a deer, rabbit, dog or whatever (caution: elephants are beyond my experience). But if a bunch of critters have held a communal tap dance with extensive damage then that's a different kettle of fish (sorry!) and the Committee may need to be consulted (or simply rake if it is one/few bunkers).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We occasionally get monkeys sitting about in the bunkers. They make quite a mess but I couldn't swear they are making holes (anyway they're usually just the decoys for the ones hiding in the trees setting the ambush)