Ball in non-animal hole

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is there any relief available if a ball is effectively underground in a hole, but it is definitely not an animal hole?

The circumstance in question is a hole with a tiered fairway. There's a line of wooden sleepers between the tiers. The sleepers have been there for years and some are showing their age. One in particular has a hole that's clearly caused by rot. The scorecard make explicit mention of the sleepers, declaring them to integral to the course with no free relief available for a ball resting on or against.

The argument a few people have made is that they are clearly artificial, and there's a mention of "on or against", but no mention of "in". They think they should get free relief. I think a ball ending up there is really unlucky, but tough. Who's right?

Steven Rules

Visit site
At the start you say 'underground in a hole', but later I gain the impession it is in a rotted-out hollow within the sleeper.

If the latter then no relief. The Committee has declared the sleepers integral and explicitly said no relief for a ball on or aganst. If it is in a rotted hollow it sounds to me like it is still sitting 'on' a (internal) part of the sleeper. No point trying to be 'tricky' by trying to find a loophole in the Committee's intent.

It would be definitely worth having a mature conversation with the Committee, though, about the unintended consequences of the local tule and/or improving the maintenance around this aspect of the course.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there any relief available if a ball is effectively underground in a hole, but it is definitely not an animal hole?

The circumstance in question is a hole with a tiered fairway. There's a line of wooden sleepers between the tiers. The sleepers have been there for years and some are showing their age. One in particular has a hole that's clearly caused by rot. The scorecard make explicit mention of the sleepers, declaring them to integral to the course with no free relief available for a ball resting on or against.

The argument a few people have made is that they are clearly artificial, and there's a mention of "on or against", but no mention of "in". They think they should get free relief. I think a ball ending up there is really unlucky, but tough. Who's right?
As the sleepers are specified by local rule to be Integral Objects the definition specifies that "free relief is not allowed", regardless of whether the ball is "on or against".

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
4th hole at Charnwood Forest has a dry-stone wall across the fairway. Integral part of the course. No free-relief if your ball gets lodged inside the wall.

chnwdfrst 4th.jpg

It is a short uphill par 4. Laying-up with the tee shot is sensible.