Hole Length at 2024 Open

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This par 5 at RT is a great golf hole if I remember correctly. Green stuck up close to a sand hill on the right and a run off to the left.

Brave (or foolish) to go for it in 2.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Links courses play very differently depending on how dry the fairways are and which way the wind blows . But I don't think there has ever been a thought that a par 5 should not be reachable in two for the pros just that if it is the second shot should hopefully involve a little more than a mid iron and have a degree of risk. But because of the first statement the second is very condition dependent.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Links courses play very differently depending on how dry the fairways are and which way the wind blows . But I don't think there has ever been a thought that a par 5 should not be reachable in two for the pros just that if it is the second shot should hopefully involve a little more than a mid iron and have a degree of risk. But because of the first statement the second is very condition dependent.

Its so common for the pros to get there in 2 that its leaking into expectations of club players

I was listening to one of the lads in last week comp complaining about course set up saying that they couldn’t reach any par 5 in 2 (I think he was about an 18 h/cap)

Springveldt

Visit site
We’ve got a 621 yarder on ours.

It’s a good drive and 3 good hybrids for me. :ROFLMAO:
My new course has the 2nd hole as a 557 yard par 5. Last 3 times I've played it I've hit driver, 3 hybrid, 3 hybrid as it runs south to north and has been into the wind on each occasion. It's only stroke index 12 so I'm assuming that during the summer we get the normal south west wind but still not sure as the sea is on the east (and about 60 yards from the fairway if the tide is in) so not sure if the course gets a more easterly wind than the traditional south west.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My new course has the 2nd hole as a 557 yard par 5. Last 3 times I've played it I've hit driver, 3 hybrid, 3 hybrid as it runs south to north and has been into the wind on each occasion. It's only stroke index 12 so I'm assuming that during the summer we get the normal south west wind but still not sure as the sea is on the east (and about 60 yards from the fairway if the tide is in) so not sure if the course gets a more easterly wind than the traditional south west.

Even off the white tees, ours (10th) is 589 yards. If you’re fortunate enough to bomb it miles off the tee, there’s a lake to stop you doing that. Ideal place to be playing your 2nd shot is about 25 yards short of the water to avoid hitting off a downslope. From that position, you’ll still have around 345 to the green, all uphill, probably plays about 370 to 380.
There’s a fairway bunker up the right - plus 3 bunkers around the green.

To top it off it follows one of the harder par 4’s on the course, and one of the hardest par 3’s I’ve played.

I sometimes wonder why I’m a member there…😂

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Our par 5s are
536 uphill often into a hurting crosswind, plays more like 560.

525 usually into prevailing wind. Easiest of the par 5s.

557 uphill, usually wind behind but plays its yardage. More like 600+ when into the wind.

557 usually into prevailing wind. With a pond and a stream to cross off the tee, then a pond all the way down the left, gorse and a marsh down the right and the pond cutting in front of the green. It will regularly play nearly 2 shots over par in comps.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our par 5s are

503 yards black tee (480 whites) usually down wind

502 yards black tee (477 whites) normally into wind off the tee and then dog leg left .. making even long hitters struggle to get at in 2

634 yards black tee (599 white) always into wind. Elevated tee making it very exposed to any luck of wind.

581 yards black tee (527 white) again into wind, fairway all rolls left ...all the way down the left side is a sand waste area

The par 5s are definitely the toughest holes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours are 513 and 490 off whites and both come at the end of the front nine, so I see them as good par opportunities to 'rescue' my front nine score. 😁