Hmmm nice shot Keegan

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Love watching Keegan Bradley think he is a fantastic player and great to watch. Him and Mickelson partnership at the RC was something to behold!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No i wouldnt extend any routine because i know that extending any routine will increase playing time. But there is no "guaranteed" - everyone would love to pull off the perfect shot - but not even the pros do that. Bradleys routine is awful to watch - it is very frustrating. But its his routine and as long as he doesnt hold up play or that routines effects the pace of play then away he goes.

The question is would you do a routine you know helps you play a bit better but you also know slows the pace of play down ?

If I knew it would make me play better then yes I would, as at the end of the day it's about shooting the lowest score possible and not going round in 3hrs and 8 mins. conversely if I knew by quickening up or no PSR would make me play better, I would do that and go round in 3hrs 8min. At the end of the day when you stand on the 1st tee and finish on the 18th whatever the time it's taken to play is the time. Yes you do your utmost to keep things moving along and not unduly hold play up, but you can only control what you do at the end of the day.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If I knew it would make me play better then yes I would, as at the end of the day it's about shooting the lowest score possible and not going round in 3hrs and 8 mins. conversely if I knew by quickening up or no PSR would make me play better, I would do that and go round in 3hrs 8min. At the end of the day when you stand on the 1st tee and finish on the 18th whatever the time it's taken to play is the time. Yes you do your utmost to keep things moving along and not unduly hold play up, but you can only control what you do at the end of the day.
Have you ever played for the enjoyment of the game, or does your enjoyment only come from a low score ? What happens when you stop improving, will you give up ?

No offence intended but you seemed to be a Pro wrapped up in an amateurs body. You seem to be prepared to do anything to improve, even if it would mean you were a nightmare playing partner. Each to his own, but the majority of golfers play to enjoy the game, which is not just about shooting low scores.

D

Deleted member 15344

yes you can control only what you do -- if you hold up play due to an extended PSR then you have caused problems for everyone else on the golf course ?

Would you still do that PSR if you knew it was slowing up play behind and slowing up your FC ? It appears your only aim is to play well regardless of how that effects other people. Can you not see the problem of slow play ? Or does it not bother you how long it takes as long as you play well ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have you ever played for the enjoyment of the game, or does your enjoyment only come from a low score ? What happens when you stop improving, will you give up ?

No offence intended but you seemed to be a Pro wrapped up in an amateurs body. You seem to be prepared to do anything to improve, even if it would mean you were a nightmare playing partner. Each to his own, but the majority of golfers play to enjoy the game, which is not just about shooting low scores.

Eliminating other variables, which do you enjoy more - shooting high scores or low ones!

That's not to say shooting big numbers means a round isn't enjoyable. It has to be given the frequency!:whistle:

But there's no point preventing yourself from scoring low numbers is there!

As for the long 'PSRs' of these guys. It's not the PSRs that are long imo - it's the number of times they have to be repeated. The 'couple of waggles to get comfortable' turns into 8 or 9; something is not quite right, so the whole thing gets repeated. That's the thing that sends me off on one, not the concept of a PSR of itself!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Eliminating other variables, which do you enjoy more - shooting high scores or low ones!

That's not to say shooting big numbers means a round isn't enjoyable. It has to be given the frequency!:whistle:

But there's no point preventing yourself from scoring low numbers is there!

As for the long 'PSRs' of these guys. It's not the PSRs that are long imo - it's the number of times they have to be repeated. The 'couple of waggles to get comfortable' turns into 8 or 9; something is not quite right, so the whole thing gets repeated. That's the thing that sends me off on one, not the concept of a PSR of itself!
To me it is not all about the score, and if it was I wouldn't play. Eliminating other variables is totally irrelevant. It is like saying would you prefer a sunny day or a wet one, oh and by the way you die on the sunny day, and win the lotto on the wet day. :mad:

I could practice every day, play more and I would definitely get better. I proved it when I was younger. I enjoy playing much more now so your argument is a load of old cobblers. I apologise to any Northampton fans out there.:)

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To me it is not all about the score, and if it was I wouldn't play. Eliminating other variables is totally irrelevant. It is like saying would you prefer a sunny day or a wet one, oh and by the way you die on the sunny day, and win the lotto on the wet day. :mad:

Rich, I agree that it not ALL about the score but, to me at least, it's MOSTLY about the score. That's because the score is a reflection of my play that day - how often I hit a shot where I wanted to; how well I putted; how well I scrambled.
The banter during the round is like - not the icing on the cake but - the jam and cream in between the layers! Without both, the round doesn't "fill you up" with the joy of golf.

To put it another way, if I play with a miserable (old???) git and play really well, I'd be say 80% happy, whereas if I play with a laugh-a-minute mate and play UTTER TRIPE, I'd be a lot less happy.

[I reserve the right to change my opinion on this topic without prior notice! :D]

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Rich, I agree that it not ALL about the score but, to me at least, it's MOSTLY about the score. That's because the score is a reflection of my play that day - how often I hit a shot where I wanted to; how well I putted; how well I scrambled.
The banter during the round is like - not the icing on the cake but - the jam and cream in between the layers! Without both, the round doesn't "fill you up" with the joy of golf.

To put it another way, if I play with a miserable (old???) git and play really well, I'd be say 80% happy, whereas if I play with a laugh-a-minute mate and play UTTER TRIPE, I'd be a lot less happy.

[I reserve the right to change my opinion on this topic without prior notice! :D]

I agree, but to take out of the discussion all other parts of the game, and just think it is the score that matters is a very blinkered view in my opinion. Each to their own, but I do take umbrage with someone seemingly telling me (not you my friend;)) that it is just the score that matters. Seems a selfish view, and I would not bother spending five minutes with someone like that, let alone four hours.:eek:oo:

Fortunately I haven't come across that many on the forum that I would not want to play with again.;):whistle::D

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, but to take out of the discussion all other parts of the game, and just think it is the score that matters is a very blinkered view in my opinion. Each to their own, but I do take umbrage with someone seemingly telling me (not you my friend;)) that it is just the score that matters. Seems a selfish view, and I would not bother spending five minutes with someone like that, let alone four hours.:eek:oo:

Fortunately I haven't come across that many on the forum that I would not want to play with again.;):whistle::D
I agree rich, everybody wants to play well, but we've all experienced those who turn into knobs when it's not their day.:eek:

Anyone who believes handicap golf is all about the winning needs to enjoy their own company.

If I only got enjoyment from playing well, I'd be miserable most of the time :D

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bradley is the antithesis of all that is wrong with the pro game. The PGA won't do anything. They haven't the gumption. I would like to see the European Tour set a precedent and take a much firmer stance for their own offenders. As far as I can see it is the only way to get the message across and set an example for those coming into the game (youngsters but not exclusively).

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You took my comment out of context. I was stating that golf is about getting the ball in the hole with the fewest strokes as possible and not a sprint. Yeah I want to improve, that's who I am as a person, and no offence but your comment about what happens when you stop improving is twaddle. You can always improve and yes I will do try anything. At least I'll try unlike some but hey everyone to their own.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You took my comment out of context. I was stating that golf is about getting the ball in the hole with the fewest strokes as possible and not a sprint. Yeah I want to improve, that's who I am as a person, and no offence but your comment about what happens when you stop improving is twaddle. You can always improve and yes I will do try anything. At least I'll try unlike some but hey everyone to their own.
Sorry 'you can always improve' ? Are you Peter Pan that never gets older ? Seems to me that most professional golfers start losing their powers before they reach 50, but good luck with your improvement. You could be the best golfer in the world when you are 70.:whistle:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry 'you can always improve' ? Are you Peter Pan that never gets older ? Seems to me that most professional golfers start losing their powers before they reach 50, but good luck with your improvement. You could be the best golfer in the world when you are 70.:whistle:

Of cours you can always improve. No-one, ever, is, has or will be, the perfect golfer. Putting can always be better, chipping can always be better etc. not saying that you'll improve it over time, but you can always improve.

Regarding a PSR and extending it if it made me play better...I most definitely would. If I played with someone who took 6 shots on a hole and took 30 seconds per shot, then I would happily take 45 seconds per shot and complete the hole in 3 or 4 strokes and ultimately the same time....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Of cours you can always improve. No-one, ever, is, has or will be, the perfect golfer. Putting can always be better, chipping can always be better etc. not saying that you'll improve it over time, but you can always improve.

Regarding a PSR and extending it if it made me play better...I most definitely would. If I played with someone who took 6 shots on a hole and took 30 seconds per shot, then I would happily take 45 seconds per shot and complete the hole in 3 or 4 strokes and ultimately the same time....
Of course you can never have a perfect golfer, but individuals realistically can not keep improving as unfortunately the body starts to deteriorate as you get older. If you are a scratch golfer at 30, do you really think you will have a plus handicap at 70? Sorry to bring you the bad news.;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Of course you can never have a perfect golfer, but individuals realistically can not keep improving as unfortunately the body starts to deteriorate as you get older. If you are a scratch golfer at 30, do you really think you will have a plus handicap at 70? Sorry to bring you the bad news.;)

Thoughts are things!

Think you can't- you won't

Think you can- you might

Think you will- you will

The mind is a very powerful tool if used.........

D

Deleted member 15344

Thoughts are things!

Think you can't- you won't - Probably

Think you can- you might - possibly

Think you will- you will - all depends on what you are thinking you will

The mind is a very powerful tool if used.........

The mind is powerful but its also restricted by the body

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'm not saying you will be...what I'm saying is that you can always improve....whether or not you will of course, is a different matter entirely

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
...what I'm saying is that you can always improve....
A 24 handicapper can probably improve until they are relatively old. A 5 handicapper that my comments were directed to will struggle a lot more. The bad news is as you get older the body gets weaker. I played off 6 was I was 16, but there is no way I could get back to that standard now, even if I practised every day. I would also say that putting, chipping and the short game does not necessarily get easier as you get older.

I have yet to see a Pro that has improved when they reached 60. If you base you game solely on improving in my opinion you will be disappointed in later life. Hence why I think there is more to the game than just improving, but that is just my opinion.