Hillside v Birkdale

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What is it (specifically) folks are referring to when the say Course A is better than Course B ? There’s words like quality, layout, class etc but these are pretty meaningless as measures to the casual reader and may even just be how a course suited one players eye

What’ do you mean when you say 'best/better' & how many of these measures need to be better than course B to make course A better ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What is it (specifically) folks are referring to when the say Course A is better than Course B ? There’s words like quality, layout, class etc but these are pretty meaningless as measures to the casual reader and may even just be how a course suited one players eye

What’ do you mean when you say 'best/better' & how many of these measures need to be better than course B to make course A better ?
Very good question, I know when I went to Mauritius I had already said I would play Anahita and Il aux cerf. The one which I preferred I would play again. Anahita just edged it. They were totally different but it ticked boxes for me.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Very good question, I know when I went to Mauritius I had already said I would play Anahita and Il aux cerf. The one which I preferred I would play again. Anahita just edged it. They were totally different but it ticked boxes for me.

Yeah it might just be one players preference rather than anything to do with quality or design. Maybe all it takes is back to back birdies to make A better than B (so it’d be nice to read about what ‘it’ is that folks prefer)

I’ve never played the courses this thread is about but to use your reference since they’re only 1km apart & similar green fee around €170,
Ile Aux Cerfs has by far the best quality of fairways of the two (they’re like freaking carpets) although the grade of sand in the bunkers at Anahita is better…but the sheer range of hole layouts/design is better on IAC
Anahita is much better playability for longer hitters and has wide fairways while Ile Aux Cerf has to have a much more tactical shot selection to score well on a very tight course. Both have been used for international tournaments. You'll probably find the ball after a loose shot at Anahita but very doubtful you'll find it at IAC in among mangroves
The quality of cut holes is better on Anahita because the sandy soil can fray the edges at IAC during a days play but neither has the best nap/breaks on the greens (these are found at Heritage) Anahita greens are hardest to read on short putts
The views are world class stunning at both overlooking the ocean but Anahita has the better closing hole/s. The Burgers & Pizza are better at Anahita although the buffest is better at IAC
Staff are excellent at both….

See what I mean, there so many variables to being ‘better’ and they're not all stacked to one course & I haven’t even listed a tenth of them, so I’m curious to read opinions about Hillside & Birkdale

The Dog.

Visit site

A very good question. The obvious measures are condition, layout, ambience, wider environment, clubhouse, catering and so on. It’s easy to form an opinion based on criteria like this.

I have been fortunate enough to play quite a lot of the best courses in the UK and especially England. The ones that really stand out as the special courses have something different. It’s probably down to how they make me feel. Just an absolute joy to be there as they get everything right. Aesthetics, the welcome, the presentation, the service and pulling off that trick of making you feel like a member for the day.

There are plenty of courses I’d put in this bracket but here are some examples: Birkdale obviously, Sunningdale, RCD, St George’s Hill, Royal St Georges, Swinley, Hankley and The Berkshire. It’s not the case on my view that they need to be top end courses like this though. I’d also love going to Woking, West Hill, Crowborough, West Sussex, Tandridge, Fulford, Blackmoor, Hayling, Beau Desert, Bearwood, Piltdown and Coxmoor for example and for the same reasons.

I’d go further and say there are several courses that are highly regarded by some that I won’t ever rush to play again: Grove, Oxfordshire, Belfry, Wentworth West, Loch Lomond and the Wisley. Just didn’t do it for me for various reasons.

Why you like a club is a difficult thing to nail down as one mans meat is another mans poison. It’s one of the things that makes golf so lovely.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

That has always been a contentious question. I think courses have to be looked at in different ways. If your looking for membership then clubhouse and catering matter, but if it's only for the day I am sure there's a good pub nearby to get food from. Best example I think of courrse comparisons is if you head off to FIFE in Scotland. IS the Old Course the best course in the county, most who know the area and I am with them in saying no. But is it the course that everyone wants to play the most........yes. That is why I was curious as to which is the better course. If I was in the area and looking for a game of golf I would play Birkdale over Hillside. But is that because it's a better course, or just because it's the more famous course.