Highest gross on par 4?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So, what’s your highest gross on a par 4 and what were the circumstances?

Wolf

Visit site
I once had a 10 at my first course as a junior playing off of 10 as well at the time,. I remember I was +2 gross at the time, in the 1st round of our Junior Cup 36 hole major comp.

13th hole hooked tee shot left into someone's garden. 3 off the tee, hooked left into same garden, 5 off the tee pulled tee shot rather than hooked this time into trees just off fairway, attempt to chop my 6th out sideways hit a tree and dropped straight down. 7th shot managed to actually chop it out to the fairway, 8th shot onto green and 2 putts later I had my 10.. +2 gross to +8 in a single hole.

The reason its so vivid in my memory all these years later is I managed to get it round in level par from there on in and got a 0. 2 cut and got to single figures for the first time. Went out next day and shot under my new handicap got cut to 8 and miss out on winning the comp by a single stroke.. If only I hadn't hit the 3 off the tee ball in the garden as well it would have been my first ever board comp win. I never won that comp ever always had 1 mare of a hole and came 2nd 4 times 😞

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A very good friend of mine has had a 16 on the par four 10th, twice with no lost ball or penalties.

For me, it's a nine. Boring. 9s are easy as.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
17. Yes, you read that right. 17 and I beat my bro in law in doing so. 18th at Walter And Kingsdown.

Or on the right and a road on the left where a ball would never be found again.

Tee shot and 5 reloaded a piece as we pretty much alternated left and right!

Edit. Just remembered it’s a par 5.

Have done double figures plenty of times. Not in last few years fortunately.

Took 11 on the 18th at The Belfry (Brabazon). Water from the tee twice. Then laid up from the fairway bunker only to Chuck another one in the water. Sliced the next to right of green and leaving a chip from behind the rather large tree. Left myself 30ft downhill from the top tier which I duly sunk to rather sarcastic applause....

Fish

Banned
Visit site
17. Yes, you read that right. 17 and I beat my bro in law in doing so. 18th at Walter And Kingsdown.

Or on the right and a road on the left where a ball would never be found again.

Tee shot and 5 reloads a piece as we pretty much alternated left and right!

At last, I can now admit to my...........................13 today on the 3rd, a favourite and normally kind hole for me 😟

Just missed my par putt on the 1st, parred the 2nd and thought to myself, ‘here’s that round I knew was coming’, and then, I wasn’t greedy, thought I don’t need driver on this hole, my ‘go to’ 4w is enough to draw a nice shot to the fairway even though at 9.30 it was pishing it down and was into a 2-club head wind.

Struck the ball nice, a bit of draw around the large oak to the side of the river and then watched it sail away oob’s on the wind, I then repeated this exact same shot not once, but 3 times to be 7 off the tee. I then got to the middle of the fairway then blocked my 8th right of the green into the brambles, hacked it out for 9, chipped it up to the bunkers for 10, on the green for 11 and 2-putted for 13😳

That’s a new record for me, both off the tee and overall for any one hole.

It was a big mental ask to keep going in really tough windy conditions, driving rain & soaking wet greens, but I soldiered on, and even though that was a complete stinker, there were so many positives during the round.

Back on the horse tomorrow morning in my roll up where I’m expecting some banter as I tee it up on the 3rd 🤫

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
13. Tee shot was one of those off-centre and/or skyed hits that no one had any clue where it went. The reload was hooked deep, deep into the woods, where only bears & dragons live, with no hope of finding it. 5th off the tee was a straight pull which hit a tree and rebounded back over our heads. Am now playing 6 from 20 yards behind where i started - and PPs struggling to control their mirth. Blocked by a couple of trees, so can only chip it to a playable position by the ladies tee. Don't especially remember shots 7/8/9/10 but they can't have been much good. Then three putted. Otherwise played the round really well and finished just 5 shots behind the winner.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wary of putting anything as I've got to play the 10th hole at Stoke-by-Nayland Gainsborough today and it was hard enough yesterday in a practice round. That hole is just open to disaster off the back tees.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too long ago to remember but I can remember a 10 on a 135 yard par 3 when it was just a 9 iron off the tee.

Bunker right with tee shot

Bunker shot OB

Bunker shot out in to bunker on the opposite side of the green

Bunker shot out and back in to first bunker

Bunker shot out on to the green

and a three putt.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I can vaguely remember numbers like 14, fifty years ago. In modern times, a 9. I was 5 off the tee.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

16 genuine shots, no penalties and it still haunts me today. Was playing in a medal round, stood on the 14th tee on a very straight forward hole, 315yd par 4. The 13th and 15th run either side so even a poor drive is usually playable. Had a decent found going and, in theory, the hardest of holes are behind me.

This part of the course is ‘new’ and was built up from the original ground level when the course went from 9 to 18 holes. There is an old oak tree that was left in situ and so it’s now in quite a deep hole that is rarely mowed so ending up there is not a good place to be.

Anyway, hit my tee shot and ended up down in the hole. Hit a provisional and in hindsight should have just left the first. Went into the hole to see if I could find it and ‘luckily’ did so almost straight away. This was unusual in itself as it’s foot deep grass and pretty lush.

Should have just taken my medicine, penalty drop for unplayable and carried on. For some reason I thought it was playable and took my wedge to it. Didn’t get it out and the red mist descended, no idea what I was playing at but lost the plot and 9 shots later I appeared from the grass having finally hacked my ball out. Eventually made the green and sunk a 15ft putt for a 16 so could have been worse.

Still haunts me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a 10 on our 18th. Hit the green with 2nd shot and rolled off and stuck on the huge slope that runs into the big pit by the green. Chris Bonnington would have struggled to reach the ball, let alone play it.:eek:

Holed a 15 foot putt for a 9 on our 10th. It was my first hole in a 36 hole competition. It was a long a day.:(

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had an 11 on the 5th a couple of years ago, was 2 under gross, hit a good drive and only had wedge and duffed it into the front right hand bunker, plugged right under the face, couldn't get it out a real hamlet moment, kept rolling back into my foot prints or divot, when i eventually got it out i sank a 20 foot putt for 11, which didn't help my demeanour

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
14 in a monthly medal on our SI 1 (par 4). I was in a greenside bunker for 3, put it in the bunker on the other side, put it back in the first bunker, thinned it OOB, thinned it OOB, back in the other bunker, out to the rough, chip on and 2 putt.