Help for self employed

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the headline is that you can claim 80% of profit up to £2500 a month (as per employed people), albeit no money will be paid until early June when you will receive one lump sum

To claim this, you have to have submitted a tax return for 2019, if you havent done so you have 4 weeks from today to do so

If anyone hasnt submitted theirs and needs any help/support then feel free to message me and I will help wherever possible (I am a qualified account, albeit not a practising one currently)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-gives-support-to-millions-of-self-employed-individuals

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I assume that will be the case and without doubt the form will be on the gov.uk website at some point, more will be known when they release the full details
Cool
And the 2019 tax return they're on about is for work done 2018-19 isnt it....did one last year and paid in Jan.
I always get confused with the years...o_O

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
"It offers some parity with the employee scheme - 80% of profits up to £2,500 a month for three months initially. Unlike the employee scheme, the self-employed can continue to work. It is targeted at up to 3.8 million of the 5 million people registered as self-employed, who earn under £50k. The money, backdated till March, will arrive directly into people's banks accounts from HMRC as a lump sum for all three months, but not until June. The grants will be taxable, and will need to be declared on tax returns by January 2022.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@fundy I'm self employed and I've got Mrs Colch on the books of my limited company. Am I right to assume that I would get a single payment to the company rather than something to each of us?

Edit - just seen that it doesn't cover us as we pay salary and dividends so it looks like I'm stuffed in terms of getting any government help.

D

Deleted member 1740

It’s a step in the right direction. i fear for those that have to wait til June like but nevertheless.

D

Deleted member 1740

Completely up to date.
The Old Man was a tax inspector- couldn't get away with anything......

They’re the best ones, I always pay the tax man, through gritted teeth though.

D

Deleted member 1740

How does it work for me my financial year ends in May?
Not that I've got any work.

You can’t claim for 2019-20 this years, it’s going to be based on the previous 3 yrs. 16-17/17-18/18-19.

if you’ve only just registered for SE you’re goosed, it’s universal credit only for you.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
@fundy I'm self employed and I've got Mrs Colch on the books of my limited company. Am I right to assume that I would get a single payment to the company rather than something to each of us?

when you say self employed do you mean youre the director of your own limited company?

If so this is the poignant part from the limited info available

"those who pay themselves a salary and dividends through their own company are not covered by the scheme but will be covered for their salary by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme if they are operating PAYE schemes."