Help for self employed

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it too late to apply? I wasn't going to bother as we were ok financially but now the car has gone bang the extra cash would come in handy.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If youve done a 2018/19 tax return already then no you can still apply until July 13th for the first grant and you dont need to have applied for the first grant to apply for the second grant

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...pport-scheme-and-confirms-furlough-next-steps

Just had a look and unfortunately it looks as though I can't make a claim due to this bit....

"You should not claim the grant if you’re a limited company or operating a trade through a trust."

I run my business through a limited company so looks like I'm out of luck.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had a look and unfortunately it looks as though I can't make a claim due to this bit....

"You should not claim the grant if you’re a limited company or operating a trade through a trust."

As I understand.. If you are a limited co, you won’t qualify for Self Employed scheme... but you can ‘furlough’ yourself and get some support. I know a few people who have done that. Get advice. Good luck

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I furloughed myself and also applied for the ‘Bounce Back Loan’. I’d have a look at the loan as the terms are very favourable albeit not like the grants that others have got.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those it will affect, the scheme has been extended for winter.

It will cover 2 seperate 3 month periods, starting 1st November and 1st February, you'll be able to claim 40% of previous earnings, capped at £3,750 for each claim, and the first claim should be available from Dec 14th on the HMRC site

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...loyment-income-support-scheme-grant-extension

With the light of lockdown, they are now increasing the 40% to 80% for the period of lockdown, will post better details when I can

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With the light of lockdown, they are now increasing the 40% to 80% for the period of lockdown, will post better details when I can

OK, the first of the two 3 month claims is being increased to a total of 55% (roughly the average on 80%, 40%, 40%) so a max of £5,160 for the 3 mths, and the claim date has been brought forward to November 30th, the 2nd 3 mths is still planned to be 40% to a max of £3,750

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What i had not seen before was that there is a grant for Feb & March 2021 coming
The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme Grant Extension provides critical support to the self-employed in the form of two grants, each available for three month periods covering November 2020 to January 2021 and February 2021 to April 2021.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...loyment-income-support-scheme-grant-extension

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I am right in my understanding - is it still the case that where you work part employed and part self-employed then your self-employed income must be more than half (or whatever it was) of your total income?

Has anything changed if you have lost your employed job due to the virus, but your self-employed work would still be there were it not for the lockdown and other non-lockdown restrictions? In other words - current income would be 100% self-employed but due to restrictions there is no work. Previously self-employed income was below the % threshold to qualify for a self-employed grant. I think a lot of 'freelance' workers are and were so impacted.

Not thinking there will be any support outside of UC as grant entitlement will be assessed on same basis as previous assessment - and so when employed as well as self-employed.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I am right in my understanding - is it still the case that where you work part employed and part self-employed then your self-employed income must be more than half (or whatever it was) of your total income?

Has anything changed if you have lost your employed job due to the virus, but your self-employed work would still be there were it not for the lockdown and other non-lockdown restrictions? In other words - current income would be 100% self-employed but due to restrictions there is no work. Previously self-employed income was below the % threshold to qualify for a self-employed grant. I think a lot of 'freelance' workers are and were so impacted.

Not thinking there will be any support outside of UC as grant entitlement will be assessed on same basis as previous assessment - and so when employed as well as self-employed.

As far as I am aware none of the eligibility criteria has changed from the first grant but will have a dig and see if i can find anything

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

There is nothing in any of the literature that would give me any hope that a claim would be successful, they are very clear that to be able to claim this time round you had to be eligible for the first two grants which is clearly not the case in the above scenario :(

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Goalposts moved again, December and January now also at 80% so the third claim with be for 80% upto a maximum of £7,500 for the 3 months (in the space of a few weeks its gone from 40% to 55% and now to 80%)

D

Deleted member 1740

Goalposts moved again, December and January now also at 80% so the third claim with be for 80% upto a maximum of £7,500 for the 3 months (in the space of a few weeks its gone from 40% to 55% and now to 80%)

This money tree is getting bigger and bigger......