Healthy Competition v Lessons

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
Without a doubt the time when I improved most at Golf was when I had a regular game with a good mate of mine who then buggered of to live on the other side of the country (you know who you are A_F), I believe the good natured competition and bragging rights spurred us both on.

Since then, despite playing more, joining a club and having a few lessons I cant honestly say that my game has improved all that much.

What do we think? It might not give us better technique, but does healthy competition spur us on to use our natural talents better in a way that lessons can't match?

Your thoughts........

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Without a doubt the time when I improved most at Golf was when I had a regular game with a good mate of mine who then buggered of to live on the other side of the country (you know who you are A_F), I believe the good natured competition and bragging rights spurred us both on.

Since then, despite playing more, joining a club and having a few lessons I cant honestly say that my game has improved all that much.

What do we think? It might not give us better technique, but does healthy competition spur us on to use our natural talents better in a way that lessons can't match?

Your thoughts........

Can't really argue with that. Perhaps if you are lucky enough to afford/ have the option of playing lessons then that might be the best of both worlds.

A bit of friendly rivaly and maybe a little £5 nassau on the side with a few friends (who aren't bandits) must be nearly as good as it gets.

Is there no one at your club who can step in where your old mate left off?

good luck

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
Dormie, I think a combination of the two is best. The compotion spurs you on to better your game, and lessons give you the tools to do it. I think by just playing without the knowledge of what you should be doing will in the end limit yourself as a golfer, also cement bad habits. However whats the point of having lessons if you cant put it in to practise with a worthy opponant.

Have I just sat on the fence again?

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
Billyg;
Still quite new at my course, don't really have what you could call a regular Saturday partner for medals or weekday partner for bounce games, certainly not one of the same standard as my mate.
The other problem is that I joined this course when I moved to this area a few years ago, so none of my mates who play or would be involved in the sort of bragging rights available to long term friends are around.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am the aforementioned mate in this discussion and I can sympathise with Dormie on this one as I too have felt the effects of not having a regular game. When we played together regularly the sheer will to win (or rather will not to lose) would drive our scores down and it's not a coincidence that we both have identical handicaps.
In fact, although we now live at opposite side of the country, that desire to be better than the other still drives me on (as I'm absolutely positive is the case for Dormie as well) and instead of just beating him on the course (got a bit bored with doing that to be fair) I now simply have to have a lower handicap than him. So the rivalry continues albeit on a different level.

But getting back to the original question..... I agree with Gasp.

I WILL be single figures next year. I WILL!!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's what makes juniors so good nowadays, too, Atticus. Boy can they play. All my mates were off 5 or better by the time I took up golf when I was 13. And most of the juniors at my club now play off scratch or better because they're feeding off each other.

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
A_F
My Lawyer will be in touch; how dare you spread the malicious lie that you have ever beaten me to the good members of this forum! The truth will out!
I now not only own you on the course, but will take your house, pension and car........
Bragging Rights!

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
Dormie, it sounds as though you need to buy a large mantlepiece to sit Atticus on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Various parts of him strewn around the house in cupboards and such like; you're right Andra I probably should invest in a mantlepiece!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow wow wow there Andra. Steady on there. Don't give him delusions of grandeur. It's bad enough getting it from him.
Its not enough for us simply to beat each other. We have to destroy each other both physically and mentally.
The man's a born loser. Don't build his confidence. It's just cruel.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see Ladbrokes are offering 10-11 on Atticus having the lower handicap by the end of this year. Evens that either ends up in hospital with depression. Any takers?