Health scares latest

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely it depends on your condition when you were 21.

If you were obese at that age and are still now then you pass the test, the jeans bit, but I guess the diabetes risk is still there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be able to know if I can fit in the same size jeans from 37 years ago I would have to know what size I was then...
Somewhat surprisingly there are more important things to remember than that.....
Like the Mrs birthday

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Isn't this just another way of saying that being fat is bad for you? Which in turn costs us a fortune in medical treatment and lost productivity.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Isn't this just another way of saying that being fat is bad for you?

I eat plenty of fat and I'm one of those people who can't put on weight and keep it on, no matter how much I eat.

Here are some advantages of fat:
"A small amount of fat is an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet. Fat is a source of essential fatty acids, which the body cannot make itself. Fat helps the body absorb vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E. These vitamins are fat-soluble, which means they can only be absorbed with the help of fats."

So for me this is just another health scare and not a universal fact and possibly another conspiracy to get food manufacturers to reduce fat.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I eat plenty of fat and I'm one of those people who can't put on weight and keep it on, no matter how much I eat.

"A small amount of fat is an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet. Fat is a source of essential fatty acids, which the body cannot make itself. Fat helps the body absorb vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E. These vitamins are fat-soluble, which means they can only be absorbed with the help of fats."

So for me this is just another health scare and not a universal fact and possibly another conspiracy to get food manufacturers to reduce fat.

Lucky fellow,! A rare breed.
Most people, as they get older, find that their bodies don't burn off all the fat and they start storing it.
Waistbands expand!
Not eating enough fat usually not a problem for nearly all.

Obesity is a western civilisation problem, which any Dr will confirm

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Lucky fellow,! A rare breed.
No. Like me people have been to the doctor about not being able to put on weight.
Usually because like me they were teased or even bullied at school.
Life is about predators and prey and I was the prey.

The usual explanation for not being able to put on weight is insufficient calorie input.
Yet I've tried eating 4 or 5 meals a day, and it makes no difference.

Austerity Britain had a very different food culture to now and I remember hardly anyone was overweight.
It's also been proved that exercise or commercial diets do not take weight off you.
So the gym industry is a con.

So what to do if you are overweight?
No easy answer to this.
Genetics may well play a big role.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

You didn't read what I wrote did you?

But on your point about fat. All fats aren't created equal. Some are quite bad for you, others have health benefits.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The comb I had when I was 21 doesn't seem to work any more.

The new thinking is that fat and fit is better than skinny and inactive.

Fat also helps in car accidents. Really, it does. Up to a point, but a very well fed one.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
No. Like me people have been to the doctor about not being able to put on weight.
Usually because like me they were teased or even bullied at school.
Life is about predators and prey and I was the prey.

The usual explanation for not being able to put on weight is insufficient calorie input.
Yet I've tried eating 4 or 5 meals a day, and it makes no difference.

Austerity Britain had a very different food culture to now and I remember hardly anyone was overweight.
It's also been proved that exercise or commercial diets do not take weight off you.
So the gym industry is a con.

So what to do if you are overweight?
No easy answer to this.
Genetics may well play a big role.

Interesting comments re the schoolmates actions.
Could be different eras?
At school in the fifties, almost no one was overweight. Don't recall any teasing about someone being thin.
May have been different In later years.