Health scares latest

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interesting comments re the schoolmates actions.
Could be different eras?
At school in the fifties, almost no one was overweight.
Best explanation I have is Neo Darwinism where genetics underpins evolution.
As you probably know, evolution is driven by natural section which means a variation if found useful will be preserved.
When food is scarce as in the war years it's found that people whose appetite is dulled by certain genes switched on or off are more likely to survive the austerity.
When peace and prosperity returns and food becomes in greater supply there is no advantage in having the genes for 'skinniness'. This is why today you have the obesity crisis.
Should we ever go back to a time of serious food shortage then the 'skinny' genes will be advantageous again.

It's not so much that I was a bit underweight, but very underweight and my parents got the blame and I was threatened with being taken away from home.
The double whammy came when kids of my age started to notice I was an easy target and made my life hell.
No doubt this continues today but little attention seems to be paid to it.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Still 15 1/2" collar that I was at school.

Tend not to try to button it up now days though - it's a tad tight (but I can still breath - just) :giggle:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My weight, and waist, stayed the same until 46 years old. A nasty accident leading to a very different lifestyle saw the weight creeping up.

Last week, a month before my 63rd birthday, saw the unwanted diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. The diet sheet given to me by the doc is pretty much identical to what I eat apart from portion sizes. Getting used to the meds isn’t fun.

Do I wish I’d been more careful? Hell, yes!! This isn’t fun.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
And the diet in general contained more fat. Sugar is the friend of obesity.

I was in the office yesterday for a sales meeting, the admin emailed asking about food choices, I asked for her not to cater for me. (long story)

Anyway, they had the breakfast delivered, pastries from Pret and she goes 'oh I ordered you a healthy Yogurt and muesli pot' LOL what part of don't cater for me! Anyway, I looked at it (was never going to eat it) The perceived healthy option, 31g of sugar!!! That's already over the recommended amount for the whole day!!!

Don't get me started on the Pret sandwich selection they got delivered for lunch!! I ate my reheated chicken and lentil risotto and it was lush!

And on fats which were mentioned earlier, Fats can be good!! There are good fats and bad fats, fat from olive oil, avocado, fish, nuts can be very good as part of a balanced diet! Its the crap fats you want to try to avoid.

Oh and my old jeans wouldn't fit. Not without a belt to hold them up!!