Have you ever lobbed a club

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We'll have you ever thrown a club in anger frustration, smashed one on the ground etc etc.
A PP on Tuesday duffed a little chip shot on a par three, he had strained his finger again fatting a shot a few holes earlier and was bogged off with himself. He lobbed his 56 wedge 10 yards and putted out. Next hole is a par five, he smashed his second shot to the bottom of the hill into some naughty rough and proceeded to look for his 56 wedge. It dawned on him it was still where he threw it, 600 yards away. Made me smile.
So have you ever lobbed a club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a kid I was terrible for club throwing but as you get older you realise you look like an idiot and so I stopped. Have been known to relapse once in a while especially when I duff another chip or pitch

D

Deleted member 21258

No, but would be lying if I said I have never wanted to ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played with a guy who horsed his 4I into the trees, took him ages to retrieve it, naturally no one helped (diff rules to a lost ball search :ROFLMAO:)

Wolf

Visit site
In a word yes.. I was 14 years old had just missed a putt for par on our Par 5 15th hole from about 2 foot, was feeling angry as it was about the 4th putt of that length I'd missed that day in comp. Tapped putt in and launched my putter, only to feel like a right knob when I picked it up because as it landed the head had snapped off. Finished the round putting with a wedge and putted well enough to win the comp by a shot. But that victory was short lived as I had to explain to my dad what happened who promptly banned me from playing for as long as it took me to save for a replacement putter as a lesson that it's not acceptable. Took me 3 weeks of washing pots and pans 4 days a week in the club kitchen as a pot boy to save up. Knowing I was at the club but not able to play was torture. I have never ever done it since not have I been tempted to, was a valuable lesson that as a kid.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, but never a proper helicopter launch. Quite often when I hit an absolute stinker I kind of drop the club behind me after the followthrough, in disbelief/frustration. I don't even know why I do that, it's not even conscious sometimes, I just let go of it in the heat of the moment as I'm watching my horrendous shot unfold.

I have broken a club once ever, but in fairness it was a cheap Dunlop wedge. I badly thinned a chip miles over a green, sort of lobbed the wedge underarm towards my bag & trolley, and it bent in half like it was made of tinfoil. :ROFLMAO:

Never a proper overarm launch of a club into the trees or anything, that would be insane.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only done it once.
Duffed a tee shot, and it petulance did a "windmill" with the driver and let it go deliberately. On hitting the ground, the head went one way and the shaft another. Cue untold laughter by my 3 fellow players, I had to laugh at my stupidity.
Got the driver reshafted thankfully, and never even tempted to do it again.;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not personally, but have witnessed so great throws.a guy i played with some 13 years ago who was the regimental SM of of a regiment based at Fort George.

SW stuck up an oak tree at Fairways some way up and didn't come down, Putter in one of the ponds and a driver into someones garden.... which he didn't try and get back.:ROFLMAO:
Also a driver in the sea at the 3rd at Nairn in the King Trophy, never to be seen again:ROFLMAO:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Yes, playing the Duke's up at St Andrews about 6 years ago. Tried to play a hybrid from one of the fairway bunkers and made a hash of it, lobbed the hybrid, which actully turned into a massive helicopter and flew off into the bushes about 30 yards away. Had to sheepishly run over to retreive it :oops:.

Don't generally "throw", but can let go of a club to "drop" it on occasion.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No they cost me too much! I normally throw a few swear words, then try to remember my handicap, the reason I'm playing, and that I'm not at work/shopping with the wife/seeing the inlaws/doing DIY etc

I have played with someone who tossed his scotty cameron into a tree 30 yards up and it got stuck :ROFLMAO:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, thrown a few, broken a few, lost a couple up trees. Try not to, but golf can be frustrating, andon some days I have very little patience.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, I fume internally like any true Brit :D.

Thinking on I don't think I have ever actually played with a club thrower. I've played with some who swear badly after a bad shot or smack the ground but never actually a club thrower.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Yep as a 15 year old in county finals with my parents watching.

Tomahawked my 5 iron into the ground which put a deep cut into the otherwise pristine fairway.

Old man was furious with me but didn't let it show. As i was junior captain I had to make a speech post meal and he insisted I apologise for my actions and disrespect displayed to the green keepers that had made the course immaculate for our game. I didn't make mention of this in my speech as i felt it was embarrassing (which was the point of his lesson)

As a result of this he then made me write a letter of apology to the head greenskeeper, my opponent and the junior organiser, he was good friends with the pro so also had a notice made and laminated which looking back was hilarious but at the time I thought he was an idiot who didn't understand that 'everybody does it'.

At the time it hurt my ego but looking back I can't help but applaud his parenting, i've never thrown a club since and I pride myself on sportsmanship and integrity in any match despite whatever frustrations I encounter.

My dad could write a book on his parenting techniques, he was exceptionally creative to keep me on the straight and narrow.

D

Deleted member 15717

it's rare, but yes I have. It can be a good way to release some frustration. Feel much better after it..and I will do it when playing with people I know and we can laugh about it.

Actually have thrown in practice too...thats next level frustration. Empty practice ground aside from one flying club and a forlorn, fed up golfer!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep. In Mauritius. Got the shanks, was in a perfect position hitting a 7 iron in and shanked the ball into a hazard. Turned around and threw my 7 iron down and it snapped clean in half. First and last time I ever do that.