Have you ever lobbed a club

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not for many years, worse i did was as a kid, missed a green with a wedge and then hit my prone pencil bag with the wedge, managed to damage several shafts in the process and played the rest of the round with only a few clubs

Visit site
Reminds me of a funny incident at Dartmouth. The 10th is a real tough hole. Playing partner had basically put a few out of bounds. When he holed out for a 12, and I was putting, I basically heard his putter go over my head, the club spinning into 12 ft high bushes and brambles. Off he went into said bushes, throwing out expletives like they were going out of fashion. After 4 minutes we said we best get in there to help him look for it. With that he shouted ‘don’t worry, I can see the club’. We turned round and walked to next tee he he shouted us back with ‘ it’s a putter, but it’s not mine’. He came out with his own and a nice looking odyssey that someone had also launched in there some time before....

mister v

Visit site
Yes and I've done the wood chop with a club into the fairway, the level of frustration that i was feeling in my life at that moment was off the charts...... wife, kid's, recession, business, money, and then to relax you go golfing and have a nightmare.......
However i then played with someone who snapped his putter over his knee after missing from 6 inches and thought "what a dick!" i quickly realised that it's how my playing partners perceived me and i haven't done it since.

U

User62651

Once, duck hooked a 4 iron OOB after a great drive and frustration got the better of me. Slung club quite hard in direction of ball. Only PP as witness fortunately, embarrassing behaviour never repeated.
Normally just seethed a few moments and called myself whatever under my breath, bottled it up for the next drive.:giggle:

D

Deleted member 25172

I have. Only one that sticks in my mind though where the driver first was the offender, sending the tee shot straight out to the left and the provisional going the complete opposite direction with an impressive super-duper-mega-slice. He quickly turned into a victim after that as he somehow made hits way into the bushes and tree's to the right off the tee. The driver had the last laugh though as I looked like a complete donkey trying to find it again. It took me 15 minutes to find it dangling up in a tree.

Proud of it? No. Looking back at it I can only laugh about it, behaving like such a tool. Something good came out of it as I've started to meditate to calm myself, and it actually works quite well. The occasional fit comes out every once in a wild, but I can keep it somewhat civilized now.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
many many moons ago when i played in my first mens competition i threw a club after missing a short putt ,the pp was a director of Brighton FC and a close freind of my dad ,he didnt say a word to me but told dad what i did ,,dad then in front of everyone in the clubhouse gave me a right bollocking ,i have never felt so embarrassed ,and have not since ever thrown a club.

mister v

Visit site
just remembered a good one when a PP after a really poor shot smashed his driver into his bag, broke the driver, broke the shaft on a 3 wood inside the bag and ripped the bag............ and lost money on the game

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
No but I've seen a few thrown in my time. I've occassionally let a club drop to the ground in disappointment but I don't see that as lobbing.
I'm too mean and would be worried about damaging the club. Also, I think I'd look a bit of an ass.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No I've never thrown a club but have witnessed a few, 2 that stick In the mind are a driver that went into a loch a good 40 yards from the tee ,and probably the best one from a friend who had a very short temper who through a 7 iron sideways and in his temper was oblivious of the cliffs 30 yards away and club went sailing into the sea.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Lots if angels on this forum.

I've witnessed some right old tantrums and some from people I wouldn't believe had such a temper.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hundreds of times but never in anger, usually just when I am too lazy to walk back to my bag while practicing on grass and I have a couple of clubs with me.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Yup, numerous times I'm afraid. I'm a big fan of the flat, helicopter throw but always make sure it's in the direction I'm walking in next.

But, I have to say - it's something that makes me cringe when I think about it and is absolutely something that I've worked hard on eradicating from my game - by that I mean letting bad shots go and not letting them get to me. My golf has improved massively with this approach.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Years gone by, I’d shamefully say yes. More than I’d like to mention too. (Snapped lots of PW & 7 iron shafts too)
Calmed down a lot after a change of Playing partners thankfully.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Yup, 4 and 5 irons have both had the treatment. New shafts required in both. 5 iron was angry toss back to the bag, which just happend to get all the forces aligned and did the shaft, the 4 iron was a proper head off smash it around a tree. Not really pleased with either event, but the 4 iron was a bit of a watershed for me. I had been having a lot of lessons was playing ok, but the issues I had prior to the lessons and what I wanted sorted were still there. After that, I dumped the lessons and did my own thing and have improved dramatically. Never had even the slightest inclination to do the same again.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Got one playing partner who likes a very enthusiastic putter swing after leaving his putts short, he's yet to take a divot but he's been warned many times.

My dad always tells me one story from his last club which always gets a chuckle.... Player A has been having a torrid time with the driver all round, on the 17th he hooks one OOB, grabs another ball from his bag whilst muttering all expletives under the sun. Tees it up and smashed it in the exact same place but this time the driver follows quickly after lodging itself in some thick bushes meanwhile Player B has grabbed another club from Player A's bag, handed it to him and said "think that ones gone OOB you better chuck another one.