Have GI irons changed much over the last 3-5+ years? If so which models to look out for?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the backs are what you see in your bag!

I can't understand anybody who would sooner have ugly GI clubs in their bag just so that they can score better instead of a nice set of blades that look like a proper golf clubs.

It is what they look like when put in to position behind the ball that is important to me. Looking down on any of those 3 is not much different to looking down on a blade club, except for a very slightly wider head. The middle one I still carry in the bag (6 iron).

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine are the Tour Preferred CB forged (if it makes any difference)

Not GI but nowhere near blade either. Anyway, a few lessons I might be ok with them, if the pro recommends GI then I will go with that and try some out.

Wolf

Visit site
But the backs are what you see in your bag!

I can't understand anybody who would sooner have ugly GI clubs in their bag just so that they can score better instead of a nice set of blades that look like a proper golf clubs.

Because it's more enjoyable to score better and feel good about the game than it is what you look like. But then I guess we're different...

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Because it's more enjoyable to score better and feel good about the game than it is what you look like. But then I guess we're different...

It's not what I look like but what my clubs look like.
And luckily we are all different. :)

Maybe you can answer a question I've posed on numerous occasions but never had a reply from anybody:

How much help from a club would you be prepared to accept?
I'll split this into two questions.
Accuracy - Going from a scale of zero, represented by an out and out blade, to 100 represented by a club that always hits the exact target that you're aiming for?
Distance - Your current clubs representing zero and clubs that hit the ball twice as far representing 100?

Wolf

Visit site
It's not what I look like but what my clubs look like.
And luckily we are all different. :)

Maybe you can answer a question I've posed on numerous occasions but never had a reply from anybody:

How much help from a club would you be prepared to accept?
I'll split this into two questions.
Accuracy - Going from a scale of zero, represented by an out and out blade, to 100 represented by a club that always hits the exact target that you're aiming for?
Distance - Your current clubs representing zero and clubs that hit the ball twice as far representing 100?
That’s the thing isn’t it we are all different and I much prefer function over aesthetic.

To answer you questions as much help as the rules would allow me to have if that was scaled 0-10 and I was allowed to maximise that then I’d pick the 10 every day because it’s still the tool at the grip end that makes the most difference.. me being that tool

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
But that's what I'm saying, the 100 club guarantees that whatever swing you put on it you'll hit your exact target and go the exact distance, the tool on the end (no offence!) makes no difference.

So where would you draw the line?
Is there a stage where the game would the game become pointless?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Srixon 545’ tick both boxes of form and function.

My 4,5,6 irons are blinking easy Peasy. 4 iron goes miles

And they are cheap currently 2nd hand

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally couldn't look down at a gi club they are big, ugly, take spin off the ball, launch too high. I think people would probably benefit from using smaller profile clubs in the scoring irons because it's easier to play shots and control the launch. Gi have too wide a sole and too low a cg to really control ball flight, especially from 7 iron down to wedge. They should just ban GI irons they are that ugly, also limit driver head size to 400cc bring back the importance of ball striking

D

Deleted member 15344

Personally couldn't look down at a gi club they are big, ugly, take spin off the ball, launch too high. I think people would probably benefit from using smaller profile clubs in the scoring irons because it's easier to play shots and control the launch. Gi have too wide a sole and too low a cg to really control ball flight, especially from 7 iron down to wedge. They should just ban GI irons they are that ugly, also limit driver head size to 400cc bring back the importance of ball striking

Remember for 99% of club amateurs the game is fun for us - average HC is around 18 , GI irons are there to help people enjoy the game a little more the same with big head drivers.

Importance at our level is enjoyment

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Remember for 99% of club amateurs the game is fun for us - average HC is around 18 , GI irons are there to help people enjoy the game a little more the same with big head drivers.

But youl never know what it feels like to strike a proper golf club out the middle, hit it with the flight you wanted and watch it go. Gi irons feel awful, in fact they don't feel like irons they feel like hitting rescues, just wrong

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

And here's an off the wall thought; the decline in the number of golfers is in line with the advance in GI clubs, maybe they're sucking the satisfaction out of playing the game and people are leaving because of it. aaaaaaaaaaa semi-;)

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I just don't see the satisfaction in not being very good at something, I've got the sort of personality where I'll go out and work at it and work at it until I can do it and if I can't do it I'll keep going until I can do it. I have to know how things work etc, use real golf clubs not irons on steroids they are awful in every sense lol

D

Deleted member 15344

I just don't see the satisfaction in not being very good at something, I've got the sort of personality where I'll go out and work at it and work at it until I can do it and if I can't do it I'll keep going until I can do it. I have to know how things work etc, use real golf clubs not irons on steroids they are awful in every sense lol

The good thing about sport is there are levels for everyone - golf is a great sport for bringing all those levels together under one and still allowing people to be able to just enjoy it

GI irons are real golf clubs - it’s boarding on elitism and snobbishness to suggest they aren’t - there are far better ball strikers than you out there using GI clubs from Club high HC to pros on the tour.

The great thing about golf is you can have people whose sole aim is to be the best they can , but you have a lot who just go out and enjoy it regardless of what happens or how well they play - that’s sport but it’s even better in golf when they play together

Now if people are only interested in serious Comp golf then scratch county etc golf is for them but the heartbeat of our game is the mid HC golfer hitting his Ap1 or G400 to 4 inches for a tap in birdie and telling everyone about it for weeks - it doesn’t matter what club you use as long as you enjoy it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd love to know any scratch golfers or tour pros using GI irons, can see it in the 2 3 4 irons but definitely no higher, I'm not elitist but there should be stricter rules and regulations regarding what a golf club should be in my opinion

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd love to know any scratch golfers or tour pros using GI irons, can see it in the 2 3 4 irons but definitely no higher, I'm not elitist but there should be stricter rules and regulations regarding what a golf club should be in my opinion

Doesn't Lee Westwood play i210's?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Agreed, but manufacturers are far too strong when it comes to reigning in club design.

But at the end of the day the rules are there and people can play whatever conforming club they like.

My point of view, which seems to be a minority one, is that while new technology will help a player lower their handicap it won't improve their skill as a player, in fact it will probably lessen it as they rely on technology to mask their bad shots.

And don't get me started on putters......

D

Deleted member 15344

Over the years the following players have used GI irons of some variety in their bag

KJ Choi
Steve Stricker
Ben Curtis
Lee Westwood

Spieth at some stage has put a couple of Ap1 into the bag , Zach Johnson a combo of Ap1 and Ap2

Ye Yang

I suspect there is a good number more

I know a 1 HC still using G15 , a Scratch player using TM SpeedBlade

It’s all about what works for people

It still take a lot of skill to hit the ball whatever club someone uses and it’s not right to look down on peoples ability based on the club they use