Have GI irons changed much over the last 3-5+ years? If so which models to look out for?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am currently using Taylormade tour preferred CB's. When hit well they go great but as I am effectively starting again with lessons/swing changes I was looking at getting some GI irons to restore some confidence and hopefully consistency. I used Ping G10's a few years back and they were so easy to hit albeit ugly as sin and chunkier than a very chunky thing so I got rid.

I am keeping the cb's as I really like them and once I am playing ok they will go back in the bag but wondered whether something along the lines of G10's would be a good cheap option or whether newer model irons would be a better option and improvement also suggestions of ones to look out for.

Oh yeah, I will probably be getting off Ebay :)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
oh yeah, I would also be happy to just stick with the CB's and work through it but feel GI irons might be more beneficial short to medium term.

Over to you guys and gals

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would like to ask which model of the TP CB

Top middle or bottom (note the top is not quite the TPCB of about 5 years ago but the RSI version of the same)

001.JPG

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They all look pretty clunky to me, so I can't really see what is to be gained by buying another clunky set, apart from then having two sets of uglies to choose from.:eek:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
There was a new set of Mizuno JPX900 on second hand shelf in AG the other night circa £350..... or a set of Ping EI for £194

But going through a complete swing rebuild myself at the moment, I have Callaway Apex clubs, going to stick with them for now.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those are more on the forgiving side than real GI irons. This goes for all the TP heads.

Slightly smaller heads with less offset.

Probably why you found the G10s easy!

The real answer to your question is probably comparing those irons with today's true GI offerings (not SGI....) or even those and yesterday's true GI ones - then again another relevant question is whether your game is ever truly going to benefit from those TP heads. I suspect you know the answer...

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I started a year ago, I wanted GI's to inspire confidence.
So went for Ping G400's.
Handicap has gone from 22 to 14 in 10 months now, so starting to look for something not quite as chunky, get used to them in the winter ready for next season to hopefully push on.

Intend to sell the G400 on ebay or Golf Bidder - am sure looking on those you will find lots of similar GI irons to buy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I started a year ago, I wanted GI's to inspire confidence.
So went for Ping G400's.
Handicap has gone from 22 to 14 in 10 months now, so starting to look for something not quite as chunky, get used to them in the winter ready for next season to hopefully push on.

Intend to sell the G400 on ebay or Golf Bidder - am sure looking on those you will find lots of similar GI irons to buy.

I'm surprised you are looking to move them on so quickly. Lovely looking irons. If they have taken you down 8 shots why do you feel the need to move them on? (not criticising by the way (y))

Wolf

Visit site
I'm surprised you are looking to move them on so quickly. Lovely looking irons. If they have taken you down 8 shots why do you feel the need to move them on? (not criticising by the way (y))
What he said.....

I think problem with golf and I am generalizing here, players get to a certain level and think they have to go for a more "players" style look in clubs because they believe it's the next step in handicap reduction and status..

If a club has helped you drop 8 shots in a year, keep them and use them to drop a few more.

I've got a set of Cobra s2 forged had them since new and was lucky enough to be bought them by my dad as present for leaving the forces, think he was glad to have me back. I love the look of them and how they play but in all honesty if I had the money I'd trade up for and even more forgiving set especially in the long irons because my methodology has changed to looking less at aesthetics and more at what gives me the best chance of hitting it better eveytime, regardless of what handicap I get to.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those are more on the forgiving side than real GI irons. This goes for all the TP heads.

Slightly smaller heads with less offset.

Probably why you found the G10s easy!

The real answer to your question is probably comparing those irons with today's true GI offerings (not SGI....) or even those and yesterday's true GI ones - then again another relevant question is whether your game is ever truly going to benefit from those TP heads. I suspect you know the answer...

Function over form is definitely my response Gordon. I will have my 1st lesson next week, speak to the pro and take it from there. Its at Custom Lab golf in Hitchin so those guys will definitely know the best option.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Then I would stick with them for the time being.

They certainly would be no different to G10 s in terms of playability and in my opinion would be an improvement.

They all look pretty clunky to me, so I can't really see what is to be gained by buying another clunky set, apart from then having two sets of uglies to choose from.:eek:

The pictures of the backs only do not these justice. They are all great clubs but the bottom ones are a bit clunky compared to a blade in the short irons (8,9 PW) but know different to any GI club I have seen.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The pictures of the backs only do not these justice. They are all great clubs but the bottom ones are a bit clunky compared to a blade in the short irons (8,9 PW) but know different to any GI club I have seen.

But the backs are what you see in your bag!

I can't understand anybody who would sooner have ugly GI clubs in their bag just so that they can score better instead of a nice set of blades that look like a proper golf clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

I used to play with those middle set and they are the Muscle Cavity ones not the CB - and they are little bit less forgiving , more players clubs than GI. The TP CB’s were the cross between the GI and Players

They look a lot smaller in real and the top line is quite nice