Harold Swash - Vintage Align putters, (circa 1960/70s

Shanker69

Visit site
I have inherited a putter from old friend who passed away a while back.

I didn't know much about it until recently and now I've ended up against a brick wall up a dead end!

What I do know from the wording on the back of the head is that it is an "Align 1" and made in England.

I have broad understanding that was designed and produced by Harold Swash and is one of the original four head designs. They were simply named, Align 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I believe they were all mallets. Mine certainly is and I know Align 3 is a mallet too - I've seen one on eBay!

The Align 1 is made from BeCu. I have no idea regarding the others. It is face-balanced, I am assuming the others are too.

Evidently, later on Swash introduced some more to the line. A 5 and a 6 were produced and possibly a 7 and an 8. The 5/6 according to Duncan Swash, (Harold's son), the face was removable enabling the loft to be changed which was quite innovative for the time.

That's it. That's all I know. I have no idea on age, rarity or value. I'd like to see more information/pictures of what the rest of the range looked like. In fact any information would be welcome, but I think it will be a case of looking in the back if garages, sheds and lofts or barrels in Pro shops that haven't yet taken the minimalist stock principle up yet, (i.e. Aladdin's Caves!).

So has anybody got any information to share?

Shanker69

Visit site
Really informative. I've now identified the first four numbers that were produced.

I've still to identify how many more were designed and made including the 5 or 6 that featured the removable face enabling the user to change the loft.

But thanks to you I'm getting there!

Shanker69

Visit site
I got some of this information from Harold Swash's son.

A researched HS and found out he was a member of Hillside near Southport. I have a mate who plays there so I asked him if he knew anything. He came back saying he actually plays with Harold's son.

The company went years ago and Harold died some years ago too, but his lad was a fountain of information.