Handicaps of your Captains

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our captain is usually someone who has served on committee or has given a lot of time to the club in one way or another. The vice captain is also elected the same time so gets an idea of whats required, helps the current captain and gets themselves ready for when they take over.
Their handicaps are irrelevant

D

Deleted member 15344

The club I used to play at elected a club President who could not even score 27 points playing off 28. It was an utter embarrassment when he played in events at other clubs.

It’s a shame when people suggest other people’s game are an embarrassment- that’s a really poor thing to say

Does it matter what the game is like ? I have played in many club games ranging from scratch or pros to high handicaps who wouldn’t break 100 - but their attitude when playing was superb and it was just about enjoying the company and the course and being welcomed

We have had captains ranging from single figures to 28 I think but they to man regardless of what they could score have represented the club well

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is the first I've heard of the vice captain being next year's captain. That doesn't happen at my club, hence my confusion chaps.

D

Deleted member 1147

This is the first I've heard of the vice captain being next year's captain. That doesn't happen at my club, hence my confusion chaps.
It doesn't happen that way at my current club - but it did at my previous one.

We know who will be captain when the past captains get together, to choose the next one, late on in the season (October I think).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to show how difficult it can be to get volunteers - This year there is no Lady vice captain so they expect not to have a Lady Captain next year.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At ours the Captain is chosen on his contribution to the club and not his golfing ability so it varies quite a bit:
  • 2019 - 12
  • 2018 - 11
  • 2017 - 12
  • 2016 - 7
  • 2015 - 8
  • 2014 - 18
I've known other Captains locally with handicaps in the 20's but as I said, it's what they do for the club that counts.
For reference our Vice Captain becomes the next Captain but he isn't chosen by the current Captain but by the one before him. I think the idea is to stop people just asking their mates all the time. The proposal still has to be voted for by the members though. Our Captain's tenure starts 1st March and his Vice Captain is announced at our Turkey Trot in December by the Captain who's tenure is coming to a close.
I hope that makes sense. o_O

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have posted, handicap is irrelevant, ability to remember members names is an asset and, contrary to popular belief (or so it seems with some Forumers), they are not necessarily the font of all knowledge rules wise.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't happen that way at my current club - but it did at my previous one.

We know who will be captain when the past captains get together, to choose the next one, late on in the season (October I think).
Yea, we didn't know who this year's captain was until December when they announced the 'nominations' at the EGM (and there was only one nomination). It was then confirmed at the AGM in January.

Wolf

Visit site
Absolutely no idea what his handicap is all I know is he's a decent fella with the clubs best interests at heart and does a lot for the good of the members so that's all that really matters.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
They’re usually aging old chaps of varied ability from a select group of people from their secret handshake club.
Usually like to the introduce themselves as the captain or captain (insert year).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being the vice means they can shadow the current captain and see what they need to do whilst being in the background. I think it works really well and the captain's I've spoken to appreciated that year to learn the ropes pfiof to taking over.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Captains aren't selected based on handicap criteria at my club and so it has varied from the high teens to low single figures over the years. I think of the top of my head this years is about 12 or 13 and the vice is 18 or so. Being captain is far more than being a competent golfer and does a lot of work to drive the club forward

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Between 12 and 25 over recent years.

As others have said, it's more to do with who can best represent the club as "figurehead" - which isn't necessarily related to golfing ability.

D

Deleted member 17920

We now have joint captains and both are selected on how they are as people.

Ability doesn’t even come into it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Coming up to 2 years at my club and the only time I think I've seen one of the Captains was at the "interview" meeting...
Handicaps are in the 10-16 bracket

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being the vice means they can shadow the current captain and see what they need to do whilst being in the background. I think it works really well and the captain's I've spoken to appreciated that year to learn the ropes pfiof to taking over.
Yeah, it's a decent idea. But also, if the captain was doing a great job and happy to carry it on, why wouldn't you want him to continue as captain over successive years?