Handicaps of your Captains

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yet to meet a captain who is not thoroughly worn out by the end of their year.
Haha. Fair enough. My club has fallen into a weird situation where two blokes have alternated it for some reason. Let's call them Pat and Paul (because that's their names). Pat did it in 2016 (the year before I joined), then Paul took over in 2017, my first year as a member. Then it was Pat in 2018, now this year it's back to Paul again. :D

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
At one place I was at, it was a case of whoever the previous Captain could get to do the job! No one can be bothered with it. By all accounts last years Captain was hardly seen around the place, which is no surprise to be as he was hardly seen when I was there. (Brilliantly funny speechwriter though).

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our last few captains have been mid-teens handicaps

We use the Captain, Vice-Captain route, normally in recognition of service to the club

This years Captain plays off 11, next years 15 (not much of a golfer but a thoroughly nice chap ;))

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our current captain, who leaves the post on the 3rd April is off 17, and the next captain, who will be officially appointed at the AGM on the 3rd is off 8. I know, coz it's me!

I have already chosen my Vice Captain for the year too, who will follow me as Captain in April 2020. He plays off 23ish I think. Handicaps are irrelevant I think.

sunshine

Visit site
This is the first I've heard of the vice captain being next year's captain. That doesn't happen at my club, hence my confusion chaps.

But it is how it is supposed to happen at your club. Your captains have been let down and ended up in the hot seat again!

sunshine

Visit site
As others have said, ability irrelevant in my experience.

In practise, it's someone who's up at the club quite a lot so plays quite a bit of golf. The really good players don't want the job because they want to concentrate on their golf so it tends to be someone off 5-15.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our last few captains have been mid-teens handicaps

We use the Captain, Vice-Captain route, normally in recognition of service to the club

This years Captain plays off 11, next years 15 (not much of a golfer but a thoroughly nice chap ;))
I thought the captain, vice-captain route was a general default at most clubs. The incoming captain will choose his vice and both will get accepted at the AGM. The vice then chooses his successor when he moves up to the captaincy and so it continues

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
The Captain and Vice ha always been what I've seen before. Best Captain I've had the pleasure meeting was Ray Reardon at Churston GC. Absolute gent, and true ambassador for churston GC.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought the captain, vice-captain route was a general default at most clubs. The incoming captain will choose his vice and both will get accepted at the AGM. The vice then chooses his successor when he moves up to the captaincy and so it continues

This is the route we follow with the addition that the outgoing Captain stays on the committee for a further year to provide additional support/guidance to the new Captain and his Vice.