Handicaps of your Captains

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just something I was randomly curious about. This is only my third year at my club, and the captain has always been someone off single figures. Is it typical that the club captain would usually be a good player? Or does it vary and that's not necessarily the case?

What handicap is your club's captain? Will be interesting to see what the highest is. Our current captain is off 6.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just something I was randomly curious about. This is only my third year at my club, and the captain has always been someone off single figures. Is it typical that the club captain would usually be a good player? Or does it vary and that's not necessarily the case?

What handicap is your club's captain? Will be interesting to see what the highest is. Our current captain is off 6.

In my experience this has varied and doesn't really matter.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

our current committee is dominated by high handicaps, i'm not sure there is even anyone on since the last AGM that's even single figures

Current is 12 i think.

LGC2019

Visit site
Captain this year plays off 3. Last years captain played off 12. Like others have said I think it's more to do with popularity and choosing someone who will best represent the club.

D

Deleted member 21258

Last years was 11. Don't know who this years captains is.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I first joined, 14, last year was 10, this year is 18-20, next year is single figures.

I suspect some of the grander clubs may choose based on golfing ability, not even sure about that to be fair, but for many it is a tough gig and getting anyone to do it is a job well done.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The club I used to play at elected a club President who could not even score 27 points playing off 28. It was an utter embarrassment when he played in events at other clubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The captains handicap is fairly irrelevant, ours have been anything between low single figure and high 20s.

The main requirements for a Captain is that he should be a good communicator, somebody who lead others abut also listen to others.

It also needs somebody willing to be the Captain as it is quite a time consuming post where I play.

Our next Captain is our current vice Captain, this years vice Captain selects his vice captain before the next AGM (September)where both have to be approved by the members.

Vice Captain have to have been a member of the club for 3 years and should have served on the Captains committee but the second requirement has gone by the wayside due to difficulty in getting elected eg there was only one vacancy this year.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
My old club have elected the same captain for two consecutive years now, which i've personally not know at any club myself prior to this.

He's off 9 i believe but most past captains were high teens generally.