Handicaps for returning golfers

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have 2 potential returning golfers, the first is a member who has let her handicap lapse due to injury and hasn't played in a qualifier for nearly 3 years. I know she has to put in 3 cards but I was wondering if her new handicap will be based on those 3 cards so if she cannot play to her old handicap will she just get 3 0.1 increases?

Similarly we have a new member who was playing for her county 5 years ago before stopping playing to go to uni, she didn't give any handicap details but I have looked her up and found that she has a CDH number and a last handicap of 9.2. I guess I should put in her cdh number but the same query applies as the first one.

Also would there be any problem in me changing any allocated handicaps if there appear clearly too low

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Louise - sections 26.3 and 26.4 in the CONGU manual answer all of your questions pretty well for the first person (has a handicap, no longer a (c)).
In the second case you have a straightforward new allocation (although you can tie into the existing CDH if it's there). Your task is to somehow take the result of the 3 cards and all the history you have and come up with the right initial handicap! Well, there is never a right answer, and you can only do what you consider right 🤔

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
ALTERING THE STATUS OF A HANDICAP 26.3 A player whose status of handicap has under the provision of Clause 25.1 or Clause 25.3 not been marked as a ’Competition Handicap’ can regain a Competition Status Handicap by submitting 3 qualifying scores which could be 18 hole competitions, nine-hole competitions or Supplementary Scores. Each of these scores shall be entered in the player’s Handicap Record and shall adjust the Exact Handicap in accordance with the provisions of Clause 17 or Clause 22, as appropriate. Once the requisite returns have been entered into the player’s Handicap Record the Competition Status shall be re-instated subject to a review by the Handicap Committee as detailed in Clause 26.4 below.
26.4 When a Competition Handicap status is being regained in accordance with Clause 26.3 and once the requisite scores have been entered into the player’s Handicap Record, the Handicap Committee should review the handicap in a manner consistent with the principles of an Annual Review. The options available are: • Re-allot the player’s handicap at a different level taking all information on the player’s previous handicap, current ability and previous golfing achievements into account; or • Re-allot the player’s handicap at the revised exact handicap; or • Defer the re-allotment for further consideration by the Handicap Committee. 26.5 The review under Clause 26.4 may not be used to reduce the Exact Handicap of a player to Category 1 without the approval of the Union or Area Authority if so delegated. England and Ireland delegate responsibility for approval of reductions of Exact Handicaps to Category 1 to their Area Authorities. `Scotland and Wales make no delegation under this clause.