Handicap too low

Oliviaboos

Hacker
Visit site
Is what I thought. How can you get consistency across the club.

At our club there is a ladies committee and a men's committee. The ladies committee doesn't have a handicap committee. The ladies committee sort out any handicaps in accordance to what the computer says once a year.

Oliviaboos

Hacker
Visit site
Qualifiers. I can see from the answers to my post that I need to play in more qualifiers and put extra cards in so the computer knows how I'm playing. Unfortunately I work full time and in the past broke my arm and damaged my back so could only play a couple of months of the year. I think I'll go for broke this year and see what happens!

D

Deleted member 23344

Me too. My best ever round of 94 last summer coincided with me playing with a member and putting in three cards ... I was given 20 and I’ve never played to it yet. Will be playing three competitions when the weather improves and so it will start going the other way ... unless my recent lessons bear fruit.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Qualifiers. I can see from the answers to my post that I need to play in more qualifiers and put extra cards in so the computer knows how I'm playing. Unfortunately I work full time and in the past broke my arm and damaged my back so could only play a couple of months of the year. I think I'll go for broke this year and see what happens!

Hi Oliviaboos,

you don't have to play in any qualifiers/competitions to be fair - like a previous post said you can enter a Supplementary Score when you having a regular game of golf.
From reading the posts - if you have not played any competitions or handed 3 cards into the club in 2017 your handicap should be inactive. I have serious concerns that the club are not handling handicap situations are your club.

For me personally, I think you should forget playing with your handicap and don't see it as a target to reach. see the challenge of the day as enjoy your golf game. You clearly have potential to play some great golf if you've previously been down to 14! I can more or less guarantee when you shot that good round you weren't thinking about your handicap but you were thinking about the next shot!

If you can't play regular enough your handicap will slowly rise up as it would for anyone else but I wouldn't get too hung up on it! Just enjoy the fact that your out on the course and not at work or stressing about home life. :) GOLF IS FUN!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the correct answer.....

No it's not. To play in comps you pay a fee, so you're just chucking money away. The handicap committee are not doing their job correctly and Oli should have been given some shots back by now. Thing is Oli, the ladies will be a little jealous and very wary of a lady golfer with a H/C that was down to 13.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No it's not. To play in comps you pay a fee, so you're just chucking money away. The handicap committee are not doing their job correctly and Oli should have been given some shots back by now. Thing is Oli, the ladies will be a little jealous and very wary of a lady golfer with a H/C that was down to 13.

how would they know you couldn't play to your handicap if you didn't play??

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eh ? Who has to pay a fee ? To play in a qualifier ?

every single club i have every been a member at had a fee for entering comps. thats where the prizes come from. although the muni by me does not charge a fee but also doesnt have any prizes

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have to pay to play in a medal or any other strokeplay competition ?

If you are a member of a proprietary club, then your only source of club income is likely to be from competition entry fees. A proportion of those fees goes to club funds which provides funds for administration costs, trophies and all other club expenditure.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
At our club there is a ladies committee and a men's committee. The ladies committee doesn't have a handicap committee. The ladies committee sort out any handicaps in accordance to what the computer says once a year.

Then your club is not operating under CONGU recommendations which is quite normal with some ladies sections unfortunately.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably the same way you get consistent handicapping across all clubs in the country?

Then your club is not operating under CONGU rules which is quite normal with some ladies sections unfortunately.

We can only do our bit and hope that other clubs get the message.

Our Handicap Committee meets every 2 months and comprises 4 men, 2 ladies and the Club Captain with the Club Secretary there as advisor. Both male and female handicaps are reviewed at each meeting.