handicap scoring question... why the asterisk?

boywizzard

Visit site
HI all, first post for me so sorry to start with a question but im confused!

ive only had my official handicap for a few months and I put in a round today to be added to the calculations.

One of the holes where i had a shocker has been reduced from an 8 to a 7 with the lower score in brackets, and the score at the bottom of the card has been changed form 96 to 95, in brackets with an asterisk... why?

i realise that actually trying to understand the new handicap calculation is next to impossible but can anyone tell me why the score should be changed like this?

D

Deleted member 23270

Any score higher than a nett double bogey is rounded down for handicap purposes. What is the par of the hole in question how many shots do you get on it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Essentially scores for handicap purposes are based upon stableford scoring.

Any hole where you would score zero points for a hole is always reduced to the score where that is the minimum score to score zero points.

If you do not know what scoring for a stableford round is - it is based upon your nett score for any hole, (your nett score being your gross score minus your handicap for that hole using the stroke index)

Nett 3 under par scores 5 points
nett 2 under par scores 4 points
nett 1 under 3 points
nett par 2 points
nett 1 over par 1 point
nett 2 over par or worse zero points.

If you are putting a score for handicap purposes (or in a Stableford Competition) you are allowed to pick before you finish the hole when you reach the point at which you would score zero points and record the score for the hole as NR.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Also the score which was changed from 96 to 95 is probably the 95% calculation which applies when you enter a qualifying competition.

So you score a 96 but didn’t really as your score is 95 under the new system, they made it that way so it was simple to understand ??

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also the score which was changed from 96 to 95 is probably the 95% calculation which applies when you enter a qualifying competition.

So you score a 96 but didn’t really as your score is 95 under the new system, they made it that way so it was simple to understand ??

The 95% calculation is purely for competition purposes and has no place in WHS calculations.

Swango1980

Visit site

I don't think he said anything about playing in a competition, and the reduction has already been identified as a nett double bogey reduction. Besides, best not confuse him further with Playing Handicaps and playing allowances for different competitions. Leave that until he becomes a golfing nerd and really wants to understand the "simple" system more fully :)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think he said anything about playing in a competition, and the reduction has already been identified as a nett double bogey reduction. Besides, best not confuse him further with Playing Handicaps and playing allowances for different competitions. Leave that until he becomes a golfing nerd and really wants to understand the "simple" system more fully :)

He did say “I put a round in today to add to the calculations”.

So I assume it was a general play round.

He might a bit more confused the more he looks into it ?