handicap ramblings

D

Deleted member 1147

I know I can play well below my handicap as, and this may sound big headed, I am a far better golfer than an 8 handicap. My usual playing partners, opponants in matchplay & winter league, club pro, teaching pro etc all tell me I should be off about 4 or 5 aswell.

But I just don't actually play to it very often.

In the last couple of weeks I've played to 5 several times in bounce games. Twice this was in spite of three putting on numerous occasions.

I now just need to get it done in comp's and sort my head out, as that is where my problems all come from.

So, after much waffle, yes I do expect to play to my handicap as it's too low.

nulassilb

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My playing ability seems to go in waves. Waves of good - followed by longer periods of poor. During the good periods, I am always confident of scoring 36 points. During the bad periods, I am happy with 30. Perhaps the lower handicap golfers play to their potential less often?

In any event, the earlier post suggesting that we play to our hcp about one in five times (when in matters - during a qualifying round) seems about right to me.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me when I'm in a good spell i expect to shoot a few over par. However when i am not playing too well I'm usually hoping not to go up 0.1.