Handicap Divisions

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why would we want to reward people for not playing well? That doesn’t make any sense and would further just encourage some to manipulate their HC to be higher.

Weighting towards lower HC might help to combat banditry and rewards lower gross scores.

Or is golf no longer about shooting the lowest score?
Thats the point. Golf is. Handicapped golf isnt. Handicapped golf has nothing to do with playing well or not absolutely, only about playing well or not relative to your personal reference point - your HI.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How about weighting HI towards the median HI, as that is where most golfer are ? If you have put in the work and reached two, surely that is the reward, and beating a 90 shooter means nothing to you anyway ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing a 29 capper in 1st Rnd of winter singles k/o. Giving him 20 shots it’s a truth that, as much as I know I can just play steady and chances are I’ll win, I also know he has the ability and shots to give me a total gubbing. But that’s just how it is when I play high handicappers and I wouldn’t have it any other way. For me it’s what makes handicap matches fun, and always a challenge.

Swango1980

Visit site
Playing a 29 capper in 1st Rnd of winter singles k/o. Giving him 20 shots it’s a truth that, as much as I know I can just play steady and chances are I’ll win, I also know he has the ability and shots to give me a total gubbing. But that’s just how it is when I play high handicappers and I wouldn’t have it any other way. For me it’s what makes handicap matches fun, and always a challenge.
In that sort of game, he may well get a few pars that simply win the hole outright, with little you can do about it (unless you are lucky enough to get a birdie and they don't get 2 shots. At same time, you'd imagine a 29 handicapper will also throw in several doubles and worse and so you'd hope to pretty much be given a bunch of holes. Therefore, the critical point will be those holes in between, and can your steady play beat them when they are scoring a few 2 and 1 pointers (if it has been Stableford).

The dream scenario is they shoot 150 and you win 10&8. The nightmare scenario is they go round in about 8 over par and win 10&8

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In that sort of game, he may well get a few pars that simply win the hole outright, with little you can do about it (unless you are lucky enough to get a birdie and they don't get 2 shots. At same time, you'd imagine a 29 handicapper will also throw in several doubles and worse and so you'd hope to pretty much be given a bunch of holes. Therefore, the critical point will be those holes in between, and can your steady play beat them when they are scoring a few 2 and 1 pointers (if it has been Stableford).

The dream scenario is they shoot 150 and you win 10&8. The nightmare scenario is they go round in about 8 over par and win 10&8
Indeed that is the name of the game. I have no real idea whether or not his handicap is reflective of his golfing ability - though a mate said he can actually play just that his handicap doesn’t really reflect what he can do on a hole-by-hole basis. But I’m not fussed.

I’m thinking that the tightening up the club has recently announced on the process for submission of General Play cards and the penalties that will be applied for frequent miscreants, has grounding in ’dodgy’ or ‘selective’ submissions not following process and suggesting manipulations. And that is likely to apply across the board and all handicaps.

Swango1980

Visit site
Indeed that is the name of the game. I have no real idea whether or not his handicap is reflective of his golfing ability - though a mate said he can actually play just that his handicap doesn’t really reflect what he can do on a hole-by-hole basis. But I’m not fussed.

I’m thinking that the tightening up the club has recently announced on the process for submission of General Play cards and the penalties that will be applied for frequent miscreants, has grounding in ’dodgy’ or ‘selective’ submissions not following process and suggesting manipulations. And that is likely to apply across the board and all handicaps.
I always find this is where a lot of golfers get confused. A 28 handicappers gets a par or birdie, and some say "you shouldn't be able to get pars or birdies playing off 28", as they think a 28 handicapper should get 8 bogies and 10 double bogies.

Of course, it is a ridiculous assessment. Because if a 28 handicappers gets a triple bogey or worse, the other player doesn't say "you shouldn't get triple bogies, you should only be getting bogies and doubles"

On a hole by hole basis, most high handicappers are capable of getting good scores. They can even be capable of birdies and possibly eagles. They may even be the type of player than can string 3 or 4 good holes together. But, assuming their handicap is correct, they play off a high handicap because they will inevitably go completely missing for many holes. I played with a high handicapper who had 21 points after 6 holes. He finished with 35. Just like you aren't surprised when a scratch golfer starts scoring a string of birdies and pars after a poor start, you also aren't surprised when a high handicapper has a horror show after scoring really well for a few holes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I always find this is where a lot of golfers get confused. A 28 handicappers gets a par or birdie, and some say "you shouldn't be able to get pars or birdies playing off 28", as they think a 28 handicapper should get 8 bogies and 10 double bogies.

Of course, it is a ridiculous assessment. Because if a 28 handicappers gets a triple bogey or worse, the other player doesn't say "you shouldn't get triple bogies, you should only be getting bogies and doubles"

On a hole by hole basis, most high handicappers are capable of getting good scores. They can even be capable of birdies and possibly eagles. They may even be the type of player than can string 3 or 4 good holes together. But, assuming their handicap is correct, they play off a high handicap because they will inevitably go completely missing for many holes. I played with a high handicapper who had 21 points after 6 holes. He finished with 35. Just like you aren't surprised when a scratch golfer starts scoring a string of birdies and pars after a poor start, you also aren't surprised when a high handicapper has a horror show after scoring really well for a few holes.
Exactly my point. Why I’m not fussed about giving him 20 shots.

He may be able to get a few pars here and there, but can’t sustain it over that many holes, never mind a round. Hence his handicap. And one of the main reasons for that is that his game doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny or pressure, so never mind the pressure he puts on himself, he will have much more coming from my direction. He might do great, I’m which case I’ll just have to do a bit greater 🙂

The biggest risk for me will be if there are many temp greens. Much of my game is build around a good and solid short game and good putting…and temps can really neutralise that strength. Anyway…that’s winter golf.

Swango1980

Visit site
Exactly my point. Why I’m not fussed about giving him 20 shots.

He may be able to get a few pars here and there, but can’t sustain it over that many holes, never mind a round. Hence his handicap. And one of the main reasons for that is that his game doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny or pressure, so never mind the pressure he puts on himself, he will have much more coming from my direction. He might do great, I’m which case I’ll just have to do a bit greater 🙂

The biggest risk for me will be if there are many temp greens. Much of my game is build around a good and solid short game and good putting…and temps can really neutralise that strength. Anyway…that’s winter golf.
Yeah, winter greens can have a negative impact on low guys, especially if it makes course a lot shorter. After all, slope normally goes down as length goes down, meaning higher handicappers get relatively less shots. But that obviously isn't reflected when we move to temp greens in our handicaps