Handicap Divisions

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah yes.... HI for this but will it work for Divs if you use V1 which prints Comp Results using CH?

As does IG

Not being responsible for results I too do not know if there is an option but CH is an easy thing for all to understand and as all the numbers are round figures it makes it easy to see where the division breaks were when the results are published.

IanMcC

Visit site
CSI Divisional print offs are based on Playing Handicap.
For info, we have 2 divisions. 14 and lower, and 15 and above. Looking back briefly on our summer comps, this is quite an equal split.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah yes.... HI for this but will it work for Divs if you use V1 which prints Comp Results using CH?

That seems a bit strange to me. I would have thought that comp results would be based on Playing Handicap - otherwise, what's the point of the 95%?

Or am I completely missing the point?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That seems a bit strange to me. I would have thought that comp results would be based on Playing Handicap - otherwise, what's the point of the 95%?

Or am I completely missing the point?

Comp results are decided by Playing Handicap.

The thread is mainly about how to set divisions
Options
H.I.
CH
or
PH

IanMcC

Visit site
Interesting questio. Not had a Q yet but I hope that results will, and should, still sort the winners as per the HI even though the CH will show on the results.
I looked back to a comp in early November to check. One chap has a HI of 13.1, giving him a Course handicap of 15, and a Playing Handicap of 14. He was shown as Division 1 in the ClubV1 print off. Another guy has a HI of 14.2 giving him a Course handicap of 16 and a playing handicap of 15. he was in division 2. So it allocates division by Playing Handicap. Hope this helps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I looked back to a comp in early November to check. One chap has a HI of 13.1, giving him a Course handicap of 15, and a Playing Handicap of 14. He was shown as Division 1 in the ClubV1 print off. Another guy has a HI of 14.2 giving him a Course handicap of 16 and a playing handicap of 15. he was in division 2. So it allocates division by Playing Handicap. Hope this helps.
I can see why V1 might thing it logical as PH is intended for competition results. However it is becoming ever more likely that the convention of handicap limits for entry will be based on HI. (As recommended by CONGU). I'm sure it would (should) only be a minor change for V1 to make to provide the option in the software.

It would be interesting to know what IG and HM do.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Comp results are decided by Playing Handicap.

The thread is mainly about how to set divisions
Options
H.I.
CH
or
PH

I don't need telling that comp results are decided by Playing Handicap - I mentioned that because Dave said V1 prints comp results using CH, which I found a bit strange. I also don't need telling what I should or should not comment on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't need telling that comp results are decided by Playing Handicap - I mentioned that because Dave said V1 prints comp results using CH, which I found a bit strange. I also don't need telling what I should or should not comment on.

Then for clarity

Both Dave and I said the results are printed out showing CH neither of us said it printed out the results order using CH.

NearHull

Visit site
As posters are providing information, I’m finding that the division definitions are becoming more cloudy.

Barry E

Visit site
The whole divisional thing can be a little controversial. In my experience, based on my club’s senior section, for comp entries of between 30 & 50, it is proven best to use HI throughout <19.9 Div 1, >20.0 Div 2. This can be dealt with by presetting in V1 fixture parameters. V1 will also allow you to elect CH or PH if preferred. What is difficult to manage is when there is an imbalance of entrants. This we deal with by proportioning the prize values. It’s too much faff to amend the divisional line (nor I believe should we anyway).
Yes, reports will be based on PH on the day but this is just a uniform converting formula based on slope & handicap index. HDID produces divisional results, & overall winner (handy if you have a special prize or trophy being played for).
At end of year, data can be collated to produce statistics for re-evaluating divisional cut-offs.

Swango1980

Visit site
At our club, in the old days, we had 2 divisions in medals. 0-18 in Div 1, everyone else in Div 2. It was a bit of a nonsense, as we'd often have about 30-40 players in Div 1 and about 5 players in Div 2.

So, it was then changed to be flexible. The Competition Secretary looked at the entrants a day before the competition, and selected the Div 1 cut-off handicap to a number than ensured equal fields in both. So, one week Div 1 might have been 16 and under, another week 14 and under.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Surely HI is the better option than CH or PH. It will then be consistent for all tees.
Can't agree. Saw an open locally here last year that used HI as the division splitter, ended up farcical as there was a 9 handicap winner in both division I & II.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
How is it possible to be in 2 Divs?

It is certainly possible depending on the settings. Handicapmaster has an option to auto-balance using HI for results in divisions. We do not use this option as it can result in 2 players with the same PH ending up in different divisions. I didn't relish trying to explain this every time it might happen.