Handicap Divisions

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We changed our divisional split this summer with the Div1/Div2 split being at 12 - reduced from 14. Reasoning was that analysis of handicaps of players in competitions showed an uneven split with many more in Div1 than Div2 - and that was considered inequitable given the prize fund split was 50/50 between divisions. Also highlights that many 20+ handicap golfers don't play in that many club competitions...are their handicaps largely maintained using GP cards?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Divisional Split is the hardest thing to set as folk will go up & down more easily with WHS & besides that who knows who will be entering Comps...... playing habits on a Sat, at our place have seemed to have changed in recent times.
The best solution I have experienced is to have just one Div and then split the field equitably after. However, the sad complaint is that "Folk won't know which Div they are in". So the most inequitable solution that resulted is that all winners in each Div get the same payout regardless of the number they have competed against. Mind you they are at least happy that they know which Div they're in. Last week Div 2 had 12 players whilst Div 1 had 24 & both got paid the same...... Heyho!!!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
How is it possible to be in 2 Divs?
They'd set the divisions by handicap index, but obviously instead of taking account where this would work into PH they simply made a random split, so without trying to go back and see what they did, let's just say they went Div I 0-9.4 HI (old school), however this meant that some PH 9s were in Div I while other PH 9s went into Div II

It was an admin error on their part, but another pointer to the complexity & stupidity of WHS

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It is certainly possible depending on the settings. Handicapmaster has an option to auto-balance using HI for results in divisions. We do not use this option as it can result in 2 players with the same PH ending up in different divisions. I didn't relish trying to explain this every time it might happen.
That's what happened

wjemather

Visit site
If the handicap system is designed to create an even playing field where everyone has an equal chance of winning, why do they need divisions?
The handicap system is designed to provide a level playing field in individual match play and small field stroke play.

No handicap system can account for the increased likelihood in larger fields of exceptional nett/Stableford scores that are (practically) unattainable for lower handicappers. The playing field is either unbalanced by allowing the lower handicappers chances to diminish or by substantially reducing equity for higher handicappers (by means of punitive allowances).

Divisions are the most sensible mitigation; handicap limits are also an option.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The handicap system is designed to provide a level playing field in individual match play and small field stroke play.
I've never read that anywhere.

''Whether competing in stroke play or match play competition, the World Handicap System, and the handicap allowances within it have been designed to create a level playing field for all amateur golfers.

Whatever competitive event you tee up
in, the handicap allowances should mean you have the same chance of prevailing as the other entrants.

And from the R&A...

Purpose of the World Handicap System​

The World Handicap System includes the Rules of Handicappingand the Course Rating System. Its purpose is to enhance the enjoyment of the game of golf and to give as many golfers as possible the opportunity to:
  • Obtain and maintain a Handicap Index,
  • Use their Handicap Index on any golf course around the world, and
  • Compete, or play a casual round, with anyone else on a fair and equal basis.
CONGU
A golf handicap allows players of all levels of golfing ability to compete or play a casual round against each other on a fair and equitable basis. CONGU®

wjemather

Visit site
I've never read that anywhere.

''Whether competing in stroke play or match play competition, the World Handicap System, and the handicap allowances within it have been designed to create a level playing field for all amateur golfers.

Whatever competitive event you tee up in, the handicap allowances should mean you have the same chance of prevailing as the other entrants.

And from the R&A...

Purpose of the World Handicap System​

The World Handicap System includes the Rules of Handicappingand the Course Rating System. Its purpose is to enhance the enjoyment of the game of golf and to give as many golfers as possible the opportunity to:
  • Obtain and maintain a Handicap Index,
  • Use their Handicap Index on any golf course around the world, and
  • Compete, or play a casual round, with anyone else on a fair and equal basis.
CONGU
A golf handicap allows players of all levels of golfing ability to compete or play a casual round against each other on a fair and equitable basis. CONGU®
There are fundamental limits to what handicapping can achieve; these limits are well documented.

Handicap allowances enable fields that are not small to be as close to equitable as possible, but there are limits to how equitable that can be - one end of the handicap scale will always be disadvantaged, and the larger the field gets, the larger that disadvantage becomes. It's an unavoidable fact for any handicap system, hence the advice to implement divisions in larger fields with a wide spread of handicaps.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the handicap system is designed to create an even playing field where everyone has an equal chance of winning, why do they need divisions?
It is ore about the numbers of players in each 'region ' of handicaps and nett /highest number of Stableford points deciding the winner if you have say 50 mid handicap players and 20 low handicap players probability is that the winner is more likely to come from the 50 than the 20.

When it comes to stableford only comps the likeleyhood is that higher handicap players will score more points that the low handicap players. I run an eclectic and will see 4 pointers from the higher handicap players but exceedingly rarely from a low handicap player. Think in terms of the chances of a low handicap player getting a hole in one compared to a high handicap player getting a birdie. When I was a 6 handicap I never won the stableford eclectic but was best gross on several occasions

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
the larger the field gets, the larger that disadvantage becomes. It's an unavoidable fact for any handicap system, hence the advice to implement divisions in larger fields with a wide spread of handicaps.
So if the handicap system does not create a level playing field, why does it claim it does?, that's my argument.
It's either ''a level playing field for all amateur golfers'' or it's not fair and they recommend divisions to make it fairer for the better players. They can't have it both ways.

wjemather

Visit site
So if the handicap system does not create a level playing field, why does it claim it does?, that's my argument.
It's either ''a level playing field for all amateur golfers'' or it's not fair and they recommend divisions to make it fairer for the better players. They can't have it both ways.
(Most) handicap systems aim to create a level playing field, and WHS does a better job than anything that has gone before.
Divisions simply mitigate exceptional scores, that fuel a perception of inequity.

IanMcC

Visit site
I looked closely at our Divisional splits at the end of the 2022 summer season. We currently use PH, and the 2 division split is 14 and below, and 15 and above.

Approximately 63% of the field is in Div1, and 37% in Div2. This would suggest moving the figure, but as we pay a best gross prize in our summer comps, and that money always goes to a Div1 player, we decided to leave it as it is.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
"The World Handicap System has three main objectives:
(i) to encourage as many golfers as possible to obtain and maintain a handicap;
(ii) to enable golfers of differing abilities, genders and nationalities to take their handicap to any course in the world and compete on a fair basis; and
(iii) to indicate with sufficient accuracy the score a golfer is reasonably capable of achieving
on any course around the world, playing under normal conditions."

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In my place I don’t think the divisional split is much to do with the actual scoring…rather, in general, we have one or two divisions according to the total number entered, and when two, by splitting the prize pot equally between the two more players will win something. Yes we could always have one division and give some of the pot to someone coming in, say, sixth, but no…I’m not sure many would really want that.

ETA…checked our comp handbook. The field is divided into two Divisions if the field size is greater than 60 - and this is done for Prize purposes only. The actual scored competition is a single field.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Proving the WHS doesn't do as it claims which is what I said in the first place.

given you post #47

There is no difference between the UHS and the WHS

Like all statistics they only have the projected norms and there will always be exceptions

We run two major Stableford comps. As a lowish handicap player I have won one of them twice and have been runner up in the other being beaten by someone whose handicap was about 3 shots lower than me.