Handicap Divisions

NearHull

Visit site
I am helping to rewrite our Terms of Competition. Within the document there is a reference to Handicap Divisions. I am aware of the WHS impact to handicaps and the demise of divisions for handicap purposes but we will continue to use Divisions to award prizes and also to set a handicap terms for one particular competition.
I have searched the EG and County websites with for any advice as to setting which HI values to use for three divisions but I haven’t found anything concrete. I could use the old Handicap break points and extrapolate back to a HI and perhaps round up/down, but I do wish to try to align with others. Using CH for each tee also seems a bit clunky.
Any advice please.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
How many divisions are you looking to have..?
Previous clubs have gone Up to 11, 12 to 20 and 21 up
Current club just has 2 and seems to split at 16.

NearHull

Visit site
I think, as in the pre-WHS days, we would want three but I have known them to go to two if the entry numbers are low. I believe we used your suggested numbers for the splits.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 2 Divs though the cut-off is different for Seniors, mid-week Comp & weekends in order to try & get an even split. Less than 25 entries overall or less than 12 in a Div then we go to just 1 Div. I don't think there is any right way for this, really.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are probably as may split division points as there are clubs. I have never seen a standard published.
However, I suggest you look at your comp entries over the last few years and make the divisions proportionally match the number of entrants. eg 3 Divisions split 33% according to handicaps and prizes to match.

We have a running sore in my club. The pro runs the sweep and insists on setting his rules. The divisions are something like <8, 8-12, >12. The entrant are approx 15%, 30% & 55% but prize money is 33/33/33%. The pro's justification is that 'winning the 1st division is more difficult and more prestigious than the 3rd division so the winner deserves more'

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are probably as may split division points as there are clubs. I have never seen a standard published.
However, I suggest you look at your comp entries over the last few years and make the divisions proportionally match the number of entrants. eg 3 Divisions split 33% according to handicaps and prizes to match.

We have a running sore in my club. The pro runs the sweep and insists on setting his rules. The divisions are something like <8, 8-12, >12. The entrant are approx 15%, 30% & 55% but prize money is 33/33/33%. The pro's justification is that 'winning the 1st division is more difficult and more prestigious than the 3rd division so the winner deserves more'

Who allowed the Pro to dictate in such a way? Does your committee not make decisions?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who allowed the Pro to dictate in such a way? Does your committee not make decisions?
The pro does most of the day to day management of competitions (not handicapping) and one of his perks (ie part of his remuneration package) is the optional sweep & 2s club which has to be spent in the pro shop. The club has no interest in divisions for club prizes/trophies etc

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

At my last club we reviewed the splits at the end of each year based on the previous years comps to try and ensure over the year we had roughly the same number of runners in each division. the first time we did it led to some big moves and after that it was tweeked by 1 at most each year. Think when I left it was upto 9, 10-14, 15+ which represented best the split of the members who played regularly in comps

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club handicap divisions are movable and are roughly set so that in any competition the numbers are roughly the same in each division
We have 3 in a full field event and 2 when there are about 30 and just one for small fields

The guidelines we use are 10 or better, 11-16, 17 and above.

The senior section, which generally are full field events, set their own divisions
17 or better, 18-20, 21 and above

We IG as our ISV and it is very easy to adjust a comp based upon the numbers.

NearHull

Visit site
I’m also interested in whether you will use HI as the measure and if so, will you extrapolate from the old handicap and round up or down or leave it as a decimal point.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m also interested in whether you will use HI as the measure and if so, will you extrapolate from the old handicap and round up or down or leave it as a decimal point.
Surely HI is the better option than CH or PH. It will then be consistent for all tees.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If using V1 the Comp reports/results print out using Playing H/cap. So do you then reprocessing to get HI Divs ??

NearHull

Visit site
If using V1 the Comp reports/results print out using Playing H/cap. So do you then reprocessing to get HI Divs ??

I don’t know, I’m just taking up the post, but I can now ask the Pro an intelligent question.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The pro does most of the day to day management of competitions (not handicapping) and one of his perks (ie part of his remuneration package) is the optional sweep & 2s club which has to be spent in the pro shop. The club has no interest in divisions for club prizes/trophies etc
Is the remuneration package the 'old style' of paying Pros?
I'm amazed he gets away with the 33% payout regardless of the number of people players are competing with.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As we adjust divisions according the number of players not particularly relevant.

However having done a quick check (cards are done by the manager) I would say we are are using Course Handicap. All players Course Handicaps are shown in the results and not there H.I..

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the remuneration package the 'old style' of paying Pros?
I'm amazed he gets away with the 33% payout regardless of the number of people players are competing with.
The pro is paid a salary for providing his services including the shop, coaching, managing competitions (ie entry, card/score returns, PSI advice). He gets the profits from the shop and coaching and gets a small commission for managing competitions.
The sweep and 2s are under his own initiative and are financially separate from competition entry fees. Neither the General Committee not the H&C Committee have any control over those optional fees and prizes. The prize monies for both are distributed to the players in full.
Members are aware of the disparity between entries and sweep allocation but have indicated they have no wish to change even though it has been raised at AGMs over the years.

NearHull

Visit site
As we adjust divisions according the number of players not particularly relevant.

However having done a quick check (cards are done by the manager) I would say we are are using Course Handicap. All players Course Handicaps are shown in the results and not there H.I..
I may be getting my knickers in a twist over nothing here, but I was thinking that players tend to think of themselves as in a particular division. In one of our Alliances a player enters according to their division and divisional competitions can be on differing days. Hence I was trying to find some sort of common ground.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may be getting my knickers in a twist over nothing here, but I was thinking that players tend to think of themselves as in a particular division. In one of our Alliances a player enters according to their division and divisional competitions can be on differing days. Hence I was trying to find some sort of common ground.

In the end you adopt what system for divs best suits your club. As to who goes in what div we will stick to HC Index as it’s what is used by all the clubs I’m involved with for setting limits for comps.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the end you adopt what system for divs best suits your club. As to who goes in what div we will stick to HC Index as it’s what is used by all the clubs I’m involved with for setting limits for comps.
Ah yes.... HI for this but will it work for Divs if you use V1 which prints Comp Results using CH?