Half-Way Hut

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can understand your frustration at this, normally there are Marshall who keep things flowing so can only assume that at this time of year they were not out and about and the course may have been full of choppers getting their monies worth.

Best days to play are Medal/competition days TBH

LOl there was def plenty of choppers on the course most of them PGA asst pro's getting a practice round for the Scottish PGA comp, and Me and Jim of course:rofl::rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the group in front stop and your group doesn’t want to, they have to let you through, after all, in a Comp the rules clearly state that not only should you not delay any other players but you should not unduly delay yourself either!!

Indeed - I am not at all for 'having to stop' - especially if playing in a comp.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have had a half way hut for many years now, its open most days and sells bacon baps, soup, sausage rolls et al. I mostly play on a Sunday morning (the only time we use a start sheet) and almost all of the guys stop to use it, if a group wants to play through then that's fine. It probably take no more than 10 minutes in total and imo its well worth it, I think the course would be worse off for not having it.

The lady members don't tend to use it too much but a Sunday am is generally male members so if everyone stops the natural flow of play is maintained.

I have not heard of much dissent against the hut at any other times/days of the week.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've never had reason to lobby against it, so always welcome them making a pit stop.

The Addington has a decent halfway house (when it's open). Played there a few summers ago on a lovely sunny afternoon. I think we ended up letting 2 groups play through because my group wanted a sandwich and a hot drink. No problems on my side with that. Golf is supposed to be fun!

Yes it does... but it's very expensive 😔

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
It gets a lot of visitors playing there so they will use it as a novelty, as well as the members. An ideal course for a half way hut. I'm surprised at the decision to go for pies. They can be a messy eat, certainly can't eat one on the go.

Enjoying your time there or is it too early and too wet to judge?

The course is a little wet in places and the greens are not the best at the moment, but hopefully this weeks wind and fine weather should start to see everything start to dry out. Looking forward to playing the course once the greens have recovered from the early maintenance, they have been rolled and mowed to a lower grass height, should make them very challenging.

I find I'm playing a little more often now, making use of the facilities etc, got no comps to speak of bar weekly sweeps, but that makes no difference to me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The course is a little wet in places and the greens are not the best at the moment, but hopefully this weeks wind and fine weather should start to see everything start to dry out. Looking forward to playing the course once the greens have recovered from the early maintenance, they have been rolled and mowed to a lower grass height, should make them very challenging.

I find I'm playing a little more often now, making use of the facilities etc, got no comps to speak of bar weekly sweeps, but that makes no difference to me.

Incidentally, my point regarding it being wet was not a criticism of Close House, just an observation that it has been so wet up here that no parkland course can be judged at the moment. The greens there are top notch, you are in for a real treat this season.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So it seems that for a Half Way Hut to attract it's down to the food being served - good quality and simple - if we just say standard of service is a given.

Enforcing a 'groups must stop and spend 10-15mins' policy sounds like a no-no. If a group arrives at the HWH and the group in front is still eating/drinking - then then the group not stopping can immediately go through to the next tee. If that group cannot tee off due to players in front - and by the time the way is clear for them to play - the seated group is now finished and ready to go. Has the group who stopped lost their place?

Anything else that might entice you to stop...?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
So it seems that for a Half Way Hut to attract it's down to the food being served - good quality and simple - if we just say standard of service is a given.

Enforcing a 'groups must stop and spend 10-15mins' policy sounds like a no-no. If a group arrives at the HWH and the group in front is still eating/drinking - then then the group not stopping can immediately go through to the next tee. If that group cannot tee off due to players in front - and by the time the way is clear for them to play - the seated group is now finished and ready to go. Has the group who stopped lost their place?

It will be the leapfrogging etc that will then cause slow play on the back nine. There should be a start sheet for the back nine based on that which started off on the 1st. Really simple and easy solution.

I see that many folk on here are on about competitions and how it would affect their flow etc. I disagree based on the 'I played today thread' and how many of us on here (including myself) play like utter chompers with a card in our hands. We are taking this game far too seriously

D

Deleted member 18588

In the same way that you should be free to use the HWH if you wish you should not feel or be obliged to stop.

If one group stops and the following group arrives whilst they are stopped and wish to continue surely they should be free to play through.

That's certainly the practice at our Club and on competition rounds the rule is that food purchased at The Hut should be consumed "on the hoof " thus preventing delays.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

You have put in that last sentence just to see who bites, who wants to score in front of the open goal? I will resist, I will resist :D.

I think you have summed it up pretty well. I would add, 'standard of service is a given' is unfortunately not always true. A smiling face at a half way hut doesn't half help and you are far more likely to stop if the person is friendly than if it is a surly person who doesn't want to look up from their phone. Seems basic but so often not the case.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
ours is mainly a buy and carry on affair, but I have played at courses where they have a practice of groups stopping for 10 minutes if they want to. Quick sarnie and a drink and then off you go. Doesn't add much time to a round and gives a little time for reflection on how the round is going. At Sunningdale, their half way hut is quite an institution and I guess everyone uses it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our kitchen now puts pies, pasties etc in a heated unit under a gazebo by the pro shop at the 10th and you simply put your bar card number on and they debit it. The pro shop serves tea and coffee so easy enough to get fed and watered and teed off again without any great delay and eat/drink on the hoof