Half-Way Hut

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Definitely an asset where run well. Folk need to be sensible about stopping or calling through..... my wife would comment that proper loos on golf courses are a huge plus! :D

At Sun City found out that it was the done thing to stop for a full lunch... and buy one for the caddy. I was worried that it might have been the only cooked meal he had that day. Never has a burger and chips been devoured so rapidly!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We have one open at weekends and some other occasions, my lad usually runs it on a Saturday. It's basically a shed that sells bacon and sausage baps, sausage rolls, pasties, tea, coffeee & soup. Occasionally they throw in some home made pies for variation. The food is cooked up in the main kitchen and ferried down, can be found to run out of food early on busy competition days. It doesn't sell chocolate and other drinks as the pro shop is right next door, and they're his domain.

We rarely stop to eat, unless the group in front are still in our way. Normally it's pick up and eat on the go. It's a handy option to have if you're feeling peckish half way round.

Japan is better, you're forced to take a one hour break halfway round and have a sitdown lunch with beer....

Not the best way to prep for the back 9 but I'm all for a good halfway hut in the UK sense.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love halfway huts. we have a good one by the 10th tee. It is handy that it is after a par three, so plenty of time to order, and either eat by the hut, or on the hoof. Tee shot on our tenth is probably the hardest on the course, so normally a natural delay before teeing off. Works perfectly for the male members, though the ladies hardly use it, as their tee is at the bottom of a hill, and not by the hut.:mad:

Think it is a good service for societies, and makes a few quid for the club. In the winter it is great being able to get out of the cold and have a warm up.

Only downside is that the lovely Katie has left.:(

I remember Katie, I think it was the first, maybe second time down for H4H and I remember Rick bless him finishing his butty and going back for seconds so he could grab a second glance, that's one memory that still makes me smile.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Filly course at Close House is getting a half way hut, it's actually between the 10th and 11th but well situated, I imagine it will get good business. The club did a vote asking what kind of pies and pasties the members wanted stocked and I think steak and ale was a first choice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Filly course at Close House is getting a half way hut, it's actually between the 10th and 11th but well situated, I imagine it will get good business. The club did a vote asking what kind of pies and pasties the members wanted stocked and I think steak and ale was a first choice.

It gets a lot of visitors playing there so they will use it as a novelty, as well as the members. An ideal course for a half way hut. I'm surprised at the decision to go for pies. They can be a messy eat, certainly can't eat one on the go.

Enjoying your time there or is it too early and too wet to judge?

D

Deleted member 15344

Halfway Huts are very good and they can be used and not stop the flow of play if everyone is sensible

Have played at courses where people stop for 5/10 mins to have a coffee or pint plus a bit of food , then courses where you take your food on the go

As with anything else in golf they can be very good if used with “common sense”

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our half way hut was run by the club for a while, it was never great, but on the occasions when it was manned a bacon roll was a welcome bit of sustenance on a winters morning. However, most members saw it as a missed opportunity by the club and so the decision was made to outsource it's running to a 3rd party.

Since this has happened, it's a lovely place to stop, clean and lots of stuff on offer. You can txt/phone orders through from the previous hole so if you are looking to keep moving it only needs a quick diversion to pick up your snack and move to the next tee.

We will often stop and have a chat with the lady who runs it while collecting a coffee and snack, and if we are being pressed let the next group go through if they are not stopping. It doesn't seem to be an issue with delays and has added a nice social feature to our course.

Hope yours goes well, good ones are very nice to have.

Thanks for this feedback - useful indeed. At first we are going to be running it ourselves - we put ads out for expressions of interest but nothing came back (as far as I am aware).

As much as I said we don;t use it at the moment - we do actually use it one weekend a year if - captains weekend. As a once off I enjoy a sit and a wee blether - but not so sure if I'm out for a comp aor social whack. I will use it though, as I am keen that we make our place as attractive as possible for visitors, societies and for attracting new members.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of golf here is played by visitors/tourists rather than members, few have a half-way-house, preferring to do the food/drinks cart option instead

Anyway if it’s just a trial period wouldn’t it be more cost effective just to get the food/drinks cart version of a golf buggy rather than set up a structure (if trial fails sell the thing)

Sorry I know its not an answer to your original question

The structure (hut) is already in place - it was funded by the Captain of three years ago - as his 'legacy'. So building is there with very nice ladies and gents toilets - and power and water all supplied. But inside the remainder of the hut is empty.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like when you get halfway houses and you can call ahead to order your food

Personally I only ever get a cup of tea and maybe an extra chocolate bar

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
10 minutes isn’t very long.

I spend at least that long every 3 holes looking for my balls :D

you post said 20, not 10

In theory it takes much longer on some of these busier resort courses.

Gleneagles for instance last time i played there it was supposed to be a 15 min stop, but more like 40, got fed up and went off in the end, just as well we did or wouldn't have got round while it was still light.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They suit fair weather golf. They are a godsend on a roasting hot day. Not so good when battling to keep your brolly up and will to live.

They aren't that popular in Ireland for some reason.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They suit fair weather golf. They are a godsend on a roasting hot day. Not so good when battling to keep your brolly up and will to live.

They aren't that popular in Ireland for some reason.

Not even when you've a bit of the poitin bubbling away in the back to stiffen thebackbone for the coming noine...:)

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
lovely option when you are having a social knock - I'm off to Suningdale on Wednesday with clients and will most definitely be having a sausage and a ginger beer!

hideous (for me anyway) during a comp if you are playing well (or at least not yet done your brains) want to keep your rhythm. My home course has one and the front 9 is 2-3 shots easier than the inward 9 so often get to the turn still in with a chance of playing to handicap or making buffer but need to keep the momentum going. If the group in front have stopped for a sit down cuppa, bacon bap and I've got a score going I might as well walk in there and then.

Conversely If I'm playing terribly and have to stop after 9, my second 9 is almost always much better!

Probably need to be mentally stronger

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
lovely option when you are having a social knock - I'm off to Suningdale on Wednesday with clients and will most definitely be having a sausage and a ginger beer!

hideous (for me anyway) during a comp if you are playing well (or at least not yet done your brains) want to keep your rhythm. My home course has one and the front 9 is 2-3 shots easier than the inward 9 so often get to the turn still in with a chance of playing to handicap or making buffer but need to keep the momentum going. If the group in front have stopped for a sit down cuppa, bacon bap and I've got a score going I might as well walk in there and then.

Conversely If I'm playing terribly and have to stop after 9, my second 9 is almost always much better!

Probably need to be mentally stronger

Rather my thinking also - playing well I want to keep going - playing badly I don't want to sit and glumly fume...:(

But hey...I'll give it a go for the club...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If your club has a starter and sensible spacing between groups it will work well. What's 10 mins at the end of the day?

If its already 5 hour rounds and multiple groups backing up on tees all over the course regularly then it can be a melting pot of frustration and a hot spot for confrontations. In other words a disaster.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you stop at a halfway hit you forfeit your place and have to join the queue to tee off on 10.

Quicker rounds for those who don’t stop, longer for those who do.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My friends course has a fantastic half way house, ran by a couple who make bacon sarnies, Home made cakes and a selection of hot and cold beverages.

It is superb, a great little place to stop for 5 mins to grab a snack and have a nice break. I would rather like my course to have one, alas no option for this unfortunately.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think MikeH makes a salient point. If I'm playing well I'd definitely be wanting to carry on and not stop and would be trying as forcefully as I could without ruining the entire atmosphere of the group to get my partners to agree to carrying on and then asking to go through the group enjoying a break.

There are some fantastic half-way houses about and in a social event, friendly club match or a society I'd have no issue stopping whatever the circumstances as the score is far less important