Half-Way Hut

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
Can't live with them, can't live without them.

As a member of a club with one, I dislike the added delay. Usually its the old boys who have been holding everyone up on the front 9 anyway!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ours is superb open 4 days in Winter 5 days in Summer. Funnily enough it’s not used for societies so much as they’ll have breakfast in Club House and a meal afterwards.

Etiquette is that if a group is not wanting to stop they must ask to play though. On comp days everyone is expected to stop.

It’s so ingrained in me to stop I really miss it on other courses or days where ours isn’t open

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
we have one next to the 1st/10th tee, rolls and hot drinks, the lady who serves us has the kettle ready for each group as they pass, so it's litrally a few minutes to pour hot water into a cup

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think a halfway but only works for me on a social knock. As a visitor, I've stopped at a few very decent establishments and enjoyed them thoroughly.
But if I was playing a match or competition, I'd rather keep going, especially if I was on a roll...
I would feel quite aggrieved if I was forced to stop when I didn't want to, if I wasn't hungry enough to want/need a butty I would have to stand around and wait for people to sup up before playing on..
So...
Social - yes
Competition - No.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have one and pretty much all groups stop for a bacon roll etc and drink. But if groups want to carry on they are allowed to go through

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fairhaven has a great half way house!

:thup:

We're very fortunate, it really is good and open 5 days in winter, 7 in summer.

Works well at ours, 9th is a par 4 so when you're walking to the green they come out and take you're order so being prepared while you putt out. 10th is a long/difficult par 3 so by the time you go in, get you're order and walk round to 10th tee there is no interruption at all really.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
lovely option when you are having a social knock - I'm off to Suningdale on Wednesday with clients and will most definitely be having a sausage and a ginger beer!

hideous (for me anyway) during a comp if you are playing well (or at least not yet done your brains) want to keep your rhythm. My home course has one and the front 9 is 2-3 shots easier than the inward 9 so often get to the turn still in with a chance of playing to handicap or making buffer but need to keep the momentum going. If the group in front have stopped for a sit down cuppa, bacon bap and I've got a score going I might as well walk in there and then.

Conversely If I'm playing terribly and have to stop after 9, my second 9 is almost always much better!

Probably need to be mentally stronger

If the group in front stop and your group doesn’t want to, they have to let you through, after all, in a Comp the rules clearly state that not only should you not delay any other players but you should not unduly delay yourself either!!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hate half way huts at my own course.

Usually 2 groups still at the hut when we get there on a Saturday, which means a 20 minute wait :(

And the option to just play through very rarely happens, as the group before had to do the 20 minute wait also...

Would rather have a shorter round and sit chatting afterwards.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate half way huts at my own course.

Usually 2 groups still at the hut when we get there on a Saturday, which means a 20 minute wait :(

And the option to just play through very rarely happens, as the group before had to do the 20 minute wait also...

Would rather have a shorter round and sit chatting afterwards.

Not to do with the presence of the hut itself more the way it is used/managed though :thup:

Nobody stops and sits down at ours during comps so rounds carry on as if it wasn't there, wouldn't be without it myself. Especially for a stiff drink if I've made a mess of the front 9!!

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Read the first two pages, but cant be bothered reading the rest, so apologies if this has been covered.

Would a half way hut in competition golf not fall into the category of undue delay or discontinuance of play?

D

Deleted member 15344

Read the first two pages, but cant be bothered reading the rest, so apologies if this has been covered.

Would a half way hut in competition golf not fall into the category of undue delay or discontinuance of play?

Not if used sensibly

For us it’s - arrive on tenth tee , one person orders , one is teeing off then once he is done goes to pick up what he wanted and it follows that method and you are prob on the tee for an extra couple of minutes

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not if used sensibly

For us it’s - arrive on tenth tee , one person orders , one is teeing off then once he is done goes to pick up what he wanted and it follows that method and you are prob on the tee for an extra couple of minutes

OK, so its used more like a shop, as opposed to a place to have a seat for a while to eat your roll and get a few whiskies down you.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The halfway hit is a great addition for visitors and open days etc. If not managed properly though, they can be problematic for members, especially on comp days when some will be willing to pause, others not so keen.
We have a strict rule that no matter what, when the game behind you leaves the green you get up and leave the halfway hut. If the group behind want to go through they say so and are allowed to do so.
Over the years we seem to have found a system that works for everyone and it’s enjoyed by most if not all. Rather than causing a hold up, it actually has the effect of resetting the pace if needed.
Generally I would say it’s the Cat 1 guys who are less keen on it but to be fair as the system works, everyone is quite relaxed about it now.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
A previous club had a really good halfway hut, plenty of choice, always open, and everything available really quickly. Most groups just grabbed their bits and carried onto the 10th, but sometimes a group would sit, and if they did this the group behind could go ahead. I never had any issues with it, and sometimes we even used to let a group through/get ahead of a group.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
you post said 20, not 10

In theory it takes much longer on some of these busier resort courses.

Gleneagles for instance last time i played there it was supposed to be a 15 min stop, but more like 40, got fed up and went off in the end, just as well we did or wouldn't have got round while it was still light.

To be honest the one at Gleneagles works well if used correct, there is a phone on the 10th tee on both the Kings & Queens course and a menu next to the phone so you simply phone your order in and it's ready for you getting there, simple. Great for when you need a quick bottle of Bud to get you back on the straight and narrow

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours is a grab and go hut. Beers, soft drinks, pasty’s and pre made bacon/sausage cobs under a hot plate. No sitting. Works well.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
To be honest the one at Gleneagles works well if used correct, there is a phone on the 10th tee on both the Kings & Queens course and a menu next to the phone so you simply phone your order in and it's ready for you getting there, simple. Great for when you need a quick bottle of Bud to get you back on the straight and narrow

At Sun City, there is a person on the 9th tee with a menu. You order what you want and it is waiting for you when you leave the 9th green. You sit down and enjoy your meal and drinks and then are told when you are expected to be on the 10th! A beer definitely goes down well on a hot day!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

sure but on this occasion it obviously wasn't there must have been 10 groups plus waiting( some would have been from the Queens) there wasn't even any room in the Hut to sit down and there were a couple of groups queuing to get served . Then the 3 groups behind us arrived, so we were all kicking our heels waiting and only one group tee's of in the space of 30 mins. its was end of Sept to light was an issue many of those wouldn't have got round.

This is not a dig at Gleneagles, i just don't think an enforced wait is the right way to do it

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sure but on this occasion it obviously wasn't there must have been 10 groups plus waiting( some would have been from the Queens) there wasn't even any room in the Hut to sit down and there were a couple of groups queuing to get served . Then the 3 groups behind us arrived, so we were all kicking our heels waiting and only one group tee's of in the space of 30 mins. its was end of Sept to light was an issue many of those wouldn't have got round.

This is not a dig at Gleneagles, i just don't think an enforced wait is the right way to do it

I can understand your frustration at this, normally there are Marshall who keep things flowing so can only assume that at this time of year they were not out and about and the course may have been full of choppers getting their monies worth.

Best days to play are Medal/competition days TBH