Had a Driver Fitting tonight - with Flightscope data

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a Callaway demo at my club this weekend, they had a flightscope launch monitor, first time I had been on one. I hit a razr fit extreme and had good results. I had terrible stats with my 910D2. I was all set to order the Callaway but had nagging doubts all weekend so booked a flightscope fitting at a local range tonight to try out the competition to the callaway.

The results are in the attached image.

The clubs I hit were:
Titleist 910D2 9.5 with made for titleist 'ahina stiff (My own)
Titleist 913D2 9.5 with Axivcore xstiff
Ping G25 9.5 with TFC tour stiff, and with 'ahina xstiff from the the Anser
Ping G20 9.5 with TFC tour stiff (my own)
Anser 9.5 with 'ahina xstiff
Callaway Razr Fit Extreme with aldila trinity xstiff
Nike Covert Tour in 9.5 and 10.5, stiff and xstiff kurokage

Something that I found really surprising was the variance in clubhead speed average between different clubs. i didn't feel like I was swinging differently.
Top end clubhead speed was 118mph, low end was 100mph, averages as per the table.

The big shock for me was my existing G20 was one of the top performers, spin and launch a little high but it was straight as an arrow and just felt easy. It has been sat in my spare room but is going back in the bag until I decide whether to replace it or not.
My favourite was the G25 with the 'ahina xstiff shaft from the Anser. This felt easy like my own, but had better spin numbers and the good shots were better than the G20. It had the tightest dispersion.
Another surprise package was the Nike Covert tour. I couldn't get the SS numbers up as high with this for some reason but the ball speed was right up there, in fact I saw peak ball speeds in the high 160s with this club in the 9.5 and xstiff flavour, smash factor was consistently really high, almost like it was an illegally hot face. It was the longest average overall, just. And the best shots with this club were the longest of all.
Anser was very good too.

The Nike Covert Tour felt like it was quite hard work, compared to the Pings that were just easy. Loving the Ping drivers...

The Callaway i was all set to buy was way down the list.

Balls were Srixon AD333.

Average distances as you can see were all in the 250 carry, 260 total range. The longest were in the 275-280 carry range. Shortest were when I put a slice on it and were in the 230 range.

I'm going to play the G20 til I decide whether to order the G25 with the 'ahina.

Not sure what the point of this post is, I guess I thought I would share some actual numbers.

photo-14.jpg

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
G20 looks like the best - certainly for the pocket - on those figures, though spin looks rather high. Launch looks fine - others look a bit low.

But 'averages' can be deceiving and the SS and distance variation that you state is quite a but!

Did the fitter make a recommendation?

Last edited:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The ss was mostly right around 105-110. I hit a lot of balls which accounts for the big variance in upper and lower ss, the majority were pretty consistent. Exceptions being the callaway that was 110+ and the Nike that was 104ish (hit that one last though).

He said that there wasn't a compelling case to do anything more than put the G20 back in the bag particularly easy on the wallet, though he felt the launch and spin were both higher than optimal, the fact that I hit it so straight outweighed those factors. I'm definitely upper end of being able to use this shaft, but I can use it. He said the tour stiff Ping shaft comes in between a typical stiff and xstiff, which was why it was ok and performed a lot better than the two different stiff shafts I have for my titleist and the stiff shafts I tried last night.
If I wanted to change he said it was between the g25 or the anser with ahina shaft, but the Nike threw a bit of a spanner in the works at the end, But I was concerned about the low launch and felt I would really have to work hard with the nike, tried putting it up to 10.5 but my results got worse.
The g25 was lowest spinning, even than the anser and covert. There were a couple of loose swings in there affecting the average for the g25, it was actually better than the averages show on the majority of shots.
The g20 was the same every time, a little high, a little spinny but really consistent.

He was looking for a launch in the 11-12 degree range as ideal, why do you say the launch is low? Most are above that?

Last edited: