Gym...

mono217

Journeyman Pro
i707.photobucket.com
I have recently joined a gym and am in the process of writing out a workout and diet any help or suggestions.

Also has anyone used protein supplements and whats your opinion on them.

thanks connor :D

algar5

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just as has been said. You should have an induction/interview with an instructor and he/she should ask you what you want from the gym. Together you should come up with a programme for you and that can also include diet advice. The instructor if he/she is doing their job properly will be best placed to offer you advice.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What are looking to acheive from the gym ? gain muscle, more flexibilty, better cardiovascular fitness ? How many days a week can you train ?

Really need to know what you want before anyone can make recommendations.

doc17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Connor, the only advice i would give is that you still have a lot of natural growing to do so don't over do it or take supplements. Like the others are saying eat healthily (plenty of fruit and veg and lay of sugary foods), plenty of water to keep hydrated and if you are really serious about keeping fit so you can improve your golf then get some expert advice from a PGA Pro. Good luck. :) ;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
you dont want to be putting anything extra into your body,

there is no quick fix, you are young and have a lot of development to do naturally, yes eat well, exercise, tone, But lay off the supplements, Before you know it you will be on steroids and then you will have a body like a bulldozer, but a microscopic dick (yeah, just like Little Britain)

As my old man says "Moderation In Everything"

DCB

Visit site
Mono,

As others have said, you should get an induction when joining the gym. There should be discussion as to what you are trying to achieve and how you see yourself achieving the target. There should be a review in a few weeks to see how you are progressing. The instructors should then review and alter if necessary your programme to help you achieve your targets.

I don't think you really need to look at geting too bulked up at the moment, you've still got some natural growth left at your age. Leave off the supliments as well. A well balanced diet should help you along at the moment.

For your golf, good core strength, flexibility and good CV endurance are what you should be looking for imo. I work for an organisation that operate our local councils sports facilities (although not on that side of things !) and what I've described above is what our provision would be for new gym members.

If your gym staff aren't helpfull then maybe it's not the right place for you. If they do help and you go regularly, you will get to know the staff, they will help you and answer your questions.

Just remember you're the customer, they need your membership, you do have some leverage nowadays. no-one wants to lose their customers in this cut throat industry.

Hope this helps.

Stivk in and let us know how you get on. :D

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
What are looking to acheive from the gym ? gain muscle, more flexibilty, better cardiovascular fitness ? How many days a week can you train ?

Really need to know what you want before anyone can make recommendations.

Spot on, the amount of people who go to the the gym and they just done know what it is they want to get out of it.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I will be training at least 5 times a week.

In this gym as our counsil are crap I used to me a member you dont get an interview.

Core exercises?

STOP NOW

3 times a week is plenty
Ask the instructor about "Core Muscle Exercises"

Do not do too much as you will just bulk out and that will bugger up your swing

How many tour pros look like Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Just curb your enthuasiasm and play Golf

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I will be training at least 5 times a week.

In this gym as our counsil are crap I used to me a member you dont get an interview.

Core exercises?

STOP NOW

3 times a week is plenty
Ask the instructor about "Core Muscle Exercises"

Do not do too much as you will just bulk out and that will bugger up your swing

How many tour pros look like Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Just curb your enthuasiasm and play Golf

There is more to the gym than bulking up. Mono might fancy a bit of cardio?

Daily exercises increase stamina and flexibility, I say go as often as you want. I usually manage about 4 days a week, and my gf goes 6 days a week. Neither of us are huge x

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I were you I would concentrate on exercises that increase stamina, after all you are going on a 5 mile hike every round. Cross trainer, bike,rowing machine,swimming,these all build up your endurance so you will be as fresh on the 18th as you were on the 1st. This is more important than muscle mass at your age. Pumping iron won't do you any good. Eat healthy meals, fruit and fresh veg, leave out the biscuits,crisps and chocolate and you will feel and play better.