Green fee prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

After looking in another thread, that lead me to have a quick look at Trump Aberdeen to see that a green fee was £270 unless you're a Scottish resident. Now, I'm lucky in the sense that I can afford to play golf at all, but it is quite depressing seeing some of the prices out there for courses you'd really like to play as it would make a way bigger hole in the pocket than I could ever justify.

What's the most expensive green fee you've paid and at what price would you draw a line in the sand and not pay up?

I guess the most expensive one I've paid is the Sunningdale meet coming up now in July. And that's a real deal compared to the actual price! In plenty a thread I've gone on about Royal Cinque, and I'd love to go back there, but with premium tee times coming in at £185, it's a no from me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The most expensive green fee I've ever paid was probably about £30 I think, or maybe £35. Can't really remember but I've definitely never paid more than that.

D

Deleted member 25172

Not what you asked, but you can get on Trump Shoulder season for £95 i think they even do twilight for that too

Yeah, no it was more a general thing when looking at some courses and what they charge at a premium. There's always deals to be made, or usually anyway. :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it's about £90
To be honest I find it hard to justify paying over 100 notes to chase a little ball around a field - no matter how good the field is..or where it is..
Not saying I wouldn't or couldn't but it would be tricky to justify.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You probably wouldn't fancy The Grove then - even with it being quite local!

Not played it myself (because of cost - both Golf and non-Golf!) but at least 1 member of a previous club enjoyed a Black on Black day there. He did shoot a very good score though!

Most expensive for me has been Sunningdale - several times! Wasn't convinced of its' value initially, so only played Old Course. However, went back and 'topped up' for the full day 1st time there! Always played 'full day' after that! Just a great experience all round!

Had some 'bargains' too mind! Member's guest @ Muirfield being best, closely followed by Gullane #1! Several bargain Day at Berkshire days (quite possibly actually better than Sunningdale from several respects!) and guest of a member @ Rye (particularly) and Walton Heath! Both these clubs (particularly Rye) have the 'Scottish' approach to Member's Guests that a 'return invite' will happen, so guest rate is fairly token!

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The most I have paid is 75 euro when in Portugal. That was a twilight time with a shared buggy.

In the UK the most I have paid is £50 and that was to play Royal County Down in an Open comp (massive reduction from the full price)

I did pay 50 euro to play the Portmarnock hotel course in a winter open which was a bit more than i'd have liked but I was fed up of walking around in mud and fancied a new course during the winter. Was also qualifying which was nice.

I would not pay much more than that to be honest unless it is a special occasion or a great opportunity, for example if I am in St Andrews. I'd probz pay full whack to play the old course as I wont be there very often.

Most of the courses in Northern Ireland have open competitions which I take advantage of. Malone is £30 for an open and is normally £95.

Just got to keep an eye out.

D

Deleted member 25172

You probably wouldn't fancy The Grove then - even with it being quite local!

Not played it myself (because of cost - both Golf and non-Golf!) but at least 1 member of a previous club enjoyed a Black on Black day there. He did shoot a very good score though!

Most expensive for me has been Sunningdale - several times! Wasn't convinced of its' value initially, so only played Old Course. However, went back and 'topped up' for the full day 1st time there! Always played 'full day' after that! Just a great experience all round!

I'd love to play The Grove, but not for the money it costs. :)

My mate met a guy in Hong Kong a couple of months back who was just about to start working at The Grove as a Junior PRO (perhaps there's no such thing as a junior pro, but he wasn't gonna be head pro anyway) there, so hopefully we have some sort of discounted round there on the horizon.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd love to play The Grove, but not for the money it costs. :)

My mate met a guy in Hong Kong a couple of months back who was just about to start working at The Grove as a Junior PRO (perhaps there's no such thing as a junior pro, but he wasn't gonna be head pro anyway) there, so hopefully we have some sort of discounted round there on the horizon.
Note my editing!

Having worked/played in Scotland for several years, I perceived a completely different approach to Golf between Scotland and England - at least in the new and/or premium clubs 'darn sarf' - at least to member guest rates!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I paid £98 to play Gleneagles, Kings course, and it was worth every penny. I may have paid more to play Turnberry but as it was bundled up for 2 rounds, one night in the hotel I don't actually know what the green fee was.

I suspect around £120 would be my top level, don't know why that figure but there you go, but it would have to be somewhere special.

These sorts of course / prices are once a year, once every two years etc type of things, special occasion courses. For regular courses I would not pay over £30 and thankfully due to booking websites I do not have to.

D

Deleted member 21258

I paid alot to play Loch Lomond with prizes/food etc(iirc £400 a head plus I sponsored something for charity).

Would have paid euros 375 for old head, but they had compulsory caddies and I would now never play a course that I had to have a caddy on, as I would rather not.

Normally £250 would be my ceiling and currently relooking at my thinking of this.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'd ever pay more than £50 for a round of golf. Anything over that just seems way over-the-top to me. No matter how nice the course is you're still playing the same game. I know loads of you will tell me I'm wrong as always, but that's just how I feel. I don't have loads of spare cash so to pay three or even four times what I normally do for a round would leave a bit of a mark really.

D

Deleted member 25172

I paid alot to play Loch Lomond with prizes/food etc(iirc £400 a head plus I sponsored something for charity).

Would have paid euros 375 for old head, but they had compulsory caddies and I would now never play a course that I had to have a caddy on, as I would rather not.

Normally £250 would be my ceiling and currently relooking at my thinking of this.

Guessing that the thinking is that you'll revise it upwards, am I right?

D

Deleted member 21258

I don't think I'd ever pay more than £50 for a round of golf. Anything over that just seems way over-the-top to me. No matter how nice the course is you're still playing the same game. I know loads of you will tell me I'm wrong as always, but that's just how I feel. I don't have loads of spare cash so to pay three or even four times what I normally do for a round would leave a bit of a mark really.

I don't think there is a right or wrong to this question. Some of the most enjoyable and memorable golf courses I have played have been on less than £30 golf courses.