Green fee prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

Been lucky enough to play a lot of good course at less than full cost. It would have to be a special course these days (aside from the fantastic courses we can play cheaper on here thanks to the work of few very hard working individuals) for me to pay full price. There are still many I'd like to play including Royal Birkdale, Carnoustie etc so best I start saving the pennies as they aren't cheap

I played Carnoustie this year on a fantastic deal where I payed £275 for 3 rounds (one on each course), including 2 nights at the golf hotel with buffet breakfast, and it was on a weekend. Really hope I can find a similar one next year and hopefully add a few more stops while up there.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve only ever played one top course, West Hill in Surrey. Didn’t particularly enjoy it though. The golf course was ok but felt totally out of place in the clubhouse, got the impression everyone was looking at us in a what are you doing here type of way. Seem to remember having lunch outside sat on a wall because we weren’t allowed in the dining room for whatever reason. Only good thing about it was free as my mate won 2 rounds of golf and lunch as a prize but would never visit that sort of “posh” club again.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Carnoustie this year on a fantastic deal where I payed £275 for 3 rounds (one on each course), including 2 nights at the golf hotel with buffet breakfast, and it was on a weekend. Really hope I can find a similar one next year and hopefully add a few more stops while up there.
That is good where did u see that ,I would fancy that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve only ever played one top course, West Hill in Surrey. Didn’t particularly enjoy it though. The golf course was ok but felt totally out of place in the clubhouse, got the impression everyone was looking at us in a what are you doing here type of way. Seem to remember having lunch outside sat on a wall because we weren’t allowed in the dining room for whatever reason. Only good thing about it was free as my mate won 2 rounds of golf and lunch as a prize but would never visit that sort of “posh” club again.
That’s sad to hear .
Thought them days were over.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think I'd ever pay more than £50 for a round of golf. Anything over that just seems way over-the-top to me. No matter how nice the course is you're still playing the same game. I know loads of you will tell me I'm wrong as always, but that's just how I feel. I don't have loads of spare cash so to pay three or even four times what I normally do for a round would leave a bit of a mark really.

What about on a trip? Say the belfry on an overnight stay bed, breakfast 2 rounds of golf like £200 or whatever it is these days?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That’s a shame, as I found them quite welcoming both times I visited. St George’s Hill though completely up themselves. I’d also rate West Hill above St George’s Hill.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think people look for different things in golf. I am no golf historian, hardly watch it on TV so the history of a course, the famous rounds etc mean little. Yes I know a bit but really does not worry me if I am walking in the footsteps of the greats. Might be because golf was not and will never be my true sporting love, that will always be rugby

These days golf is all about the company so as long as the course is decent (and £50 pretty much guarantees that) then it is who I am playing with that matters.

I can see why people pay to play these courses, have lists of courses that they want to play but it is not really for me.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think I'd ever pay more than £50 for a round of golf. Anything over that just seems way over-the-top to me. No matter how nice the course is you're still playing the same game. I know loads of you will tell me I'm wrong as always, but that's just how I feel. I don't have loads of spare cash so to pay three or even four times what I normally do for a round would leave a bit of a mark really.
I’m with you to a certain extent I’ve managed to get on some pretty decent courses for free or nominal rates through club matches and reciprocals. If I am going to have to pay most likely it’s going to be a society or part of a package so the green fee comes down though that. Celtic Manor this year is the most I’ve ever paid £380 for 2 nights inc breakfast and dinner & 1 round on each course. I’d struggle to justify more than £50 for golf only.

D

Deleted member 25172

That is good where did u see that ,I would fancy that.

That was through Golf Travel Centre. Found it on their Facebook-page and almost took it for a scam at first, but no, totally legit. This was a drive they had for April though, and I booked it all the way back in September last year. I’m gonna keep my eyes out to see if they replicate it for next year!

D

Deleted member 17920

After looking in another thread, that lead me to have a quick look at Trump Aberdeen to see that a green fee was £270 unless you're a Scottish resident. Now, I'm lucky in the sense that I can afford to play golf at all, but it is quite depressing seeing some of the prices out there for courses you'd really like to play as it would make a way bigger hole in the pocket than I could ever justify.

What's the most expensive green fee you've paid and at what price would you draw a line in the sand and not pay up?

I guess the most expensive one I've paid is the Sunningdale meet coming up now in July. And that's a real deal compared to the actual price! In plenty a thread I've gone on about Royal Cinque, and I'd love to go back there, but with premium tee times coming in at £185, it's a no from me.
Most expensive 18 holes to date for me is Royal Lytham at £145 and that was an online special.

Did I think it was worth it, not a chance.

Sunningdale £265 for 2 rounds inc food, hell yes, would I pay the full green fee with no food, nope I wouldn’t.

It’s a fine line, I want to play the top courses but it needs to be a deal and a good value deal.

The west coast of Ireland has priced Itself out for me. I can’t justify the costs so I guess they will just stay off my list.

I guess the best way to get a deal is a forum meet with a top organiser 😉 or twilight or perhaps an open but the top top courses don’t have accessible opens unless you play off scratch.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
The most I’ve paid was at Sandy Lane in Barbados. Think with club hire it was around 450ish.

In the uk I’ve paid £100ish for burnham and barrow

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Paid £170 for Prestwick as it was the home of the first Open. Great experience and I reckon reasonably good value. But can't see me paying that sort of money on a regular basis. Think we paid about £90 for each of the PGA and Kings at Gleneagles, and £100 for Royal Dornoch - absolute bargains but they were "special deals" done by picking a time csrefully. Worth considering that at some places, day tickets are often not much more than a single round - so "price per round" goes from "a bit steep" to "pretty good value".

Just to make a few folk jealous, I'll lob in that next week I'm playing Royal Cinque Ports - gratis 😁

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Don't think I ever paid more than 50 €. I did play a few courses which normally charge more, but I was always lucky enough to either be a guest of a member or to have found some kind of special deal for it. When on holiday, I think I would pay up to 100 € for a nice course, but that is the absolute max for me. The reason is simply that my golf is not good enough to appreciate a really good golf course. It does not fit my game. With the distances I usually hit the ball, my game is much more suited for a shorter course. To be honest, I enjoy golf the most on par 3 courses, academy courses and the like, especially when I find one which is well maintained. So paying a lot more just so I can say "I paid course X" does not really make sense for me. I can appreciate the views, the landscape and meticulous greens to putt on, but the challenge harder and more prestigious courses provide is lost on me.

Wolf

Visit site
I think for me my top end for what Id pay is around £50, I simply couldn't justify spending more than that in a single round, as I'd feel I was being selfish as I could out the money to more meaningful and useful things for the kids or family. Especially if I'd paid that money out and then played crap.

There's lots of course I'd love to play that I sadly never will at least not until maybe I'm retired and a lot better off but by then they'll be even more costly so doubt it'll happen. I think the only way it could possibly be justified for myself is a big birthday treat maybe where we do a stay an play for a few nights and have the golf thrown in as part of the deal.

But I've been lucky enough in my life so far to play choruses like Woburn, RCP, RSG, Princes, Wentworth West, Lahinch and a few others for free thanks to Junior events, Forces golf comps or other reasons.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I was told I could have a special rate of £180 to play a og standard course in Thailand. Don't know what the Thai word for " shove it" is.
Top price could well be Il au Cerf or Anahita in Mauritius. About £130 inc buggy and yes I would. There was a comment on the golf in Australia thread I started that in Australia they won't pay over £40 without moaning. Yet for courses that are nowhere near as good in the UK they want £80. Our TWATS day yesterday was £18 and the guys thought it was a steal. Maybe that's why our place is not struggling. Good golf at a good price.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the UK, probably about £50 for a single round. Can't see me ever paying more than about £75 here.

Elsewhere probably about €150 in Portugal. We go every year and play 1 or 2 expensive courses and 2 or 3 cheaper courses. The prices in Portugal are definitely going up and the VFM definitely going down. The first time we played €100+ courses they were clearly better than the others. Now not so much.

Don't know why I'm willing to pay so much more abroad. I think it might be that I'm paying for a whole holiday with golf included. If you asked me to hand over that much cash on the day for one round I'd probably say no.