Green fee prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

I don't think I'd ever pay more than £50 for a round of golf. Anything over that just seems way over-the-top to me. No matter how nice the course is you're still playing the same game. I know loads of you will tell me I'm wrong as always, but that's just how I feel. I don't have loads of spare cash so to pay three or even four times what I normally do for a round would leave a bit of a mark really.

I think it's over the top as well, but that's where we differ somewhat. I cry inside as I hand over the credit card. I think any green fee over £100 or so is rather ridiculous, but I could still pay it on the odd occasion, and appreciate not everyone can do that.

I'd love to go to Ireland for example at some point to play, but adding everything up, the sums are just astonishing (to me that is, just for clarity) in the wrong kind of way.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having been fortunate enough to play a lot of 'these courses' for nothing over the decades I don't have any great desire to play anywhere really; and whilst there's definitely no line in the sand I simply look at all opportunities in the same way I would a restauraunt meal, holiday, fishing rod, golf club etc

Who I was playing with would be as important as where I was heading nowadays.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
if it was a course I wanted to play then I don't think I would have an upper limit but then again I am not paying out golf clubs subs so its easier to justify the cost to Mrs D!

D

Deleted member 21258

Guessing that the thinking is that you'll revise it upwards, am I right?

No, downwards, as wife much prefers playing on cheap courses and am coming to that conclusion myself.

There is an element, that it doesn't matter how much money you pay it doesn't guarantee a good course or good experience or even top conditions on a course or all holes in play etc. I think I have played about 40 of the GM 100, and apart from forum/charity days none with a member, so get the 'full visitor green fee experience' which is different. Also played them with a women and a junior(sometimes it adds stuff or sometimes definitely not, which is an interesting twist to the experience.........). Yeah some go on about how great the top courses are, experiences and how great the listings are but the real truth is, that after playing quite a number of them on straight green fee basis I would not quite agree IMHO.

Got to the point of wondering how some of the 'top' courses are ranked so high, as the quality of the holes or course conditions or welcome/attitude are so pants of the club. And if paying £250ish for a green fee, I expect everything to be top notch or they need to explain before hand and discount according. Reckon I have walked away from probably 25%-50% of the courses almost shaking my head at the course or experience we have been given.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
£225 to play Wentworth West many years back before the changes, £220 for Sunningdale New and God knows how much for Kings course Gleneagles with a pro, paid for by the family!

It's like going out for a meal, you dont get Michelin Star food for Burger King prices

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£30

but there again I do get to to play a lot of quality courses for free or relatively little cost in matches or competitions, e.g. Burnham and Berrow, Parkstone, Broadstone, Ferndown

I seriously doubt that I would be willing to spend the sort of green fees that these place charge as a visitor. It is just a game of golf after all.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Including a caddy, somewhere north of £250 on the Old Course at St Andrews. Yes I would do it again, and again. For me, its about the whole St Andrews experience. Staying within a couple of mins walk of the course, pub crawling around some famous watering holes, having some fabulous meals and then playing some iconic holes well.

Would I pay more to play somewhere else equally iconic? Apart from Augusta, there's nothing else I'm that fussed about... maybe Muirfield, maybe Wentworth, maybe Gleneagles.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
After looking in another thread, that lead me to have a quick look at Trump Aberdeen to see that a green fee was £270 unless you're a Scottish resident. Now, I'm lucky in the sense that I can afford to play golf at all, but it is quite depressing seeing some of the prices out there for courses you'd really like to play as it would make a way bigger hole in the pocket than I could ever justify.

What's the most expensive green fee you've paid and at what price would you draw a line in the sand and not pay up?

I guess the most expensive one I've paid is the Sunningdale meet coming up now in July. And that's a real deal compared to the actual price! In plenty a thread I've gone on about Royal Cinque, and I'd love to go back there, but with premium tee times coming in at £185, it's a no from me.

Most expensive green fee I've paid was £190 to play the Old Course.

As far as I'm concerned that's the limit I would pay anywhere. The Old Course could double their fees and still sell out almost every tee time.

I've got no inclination to encourage any courses to charge more than that so simply no interest in playing them. There's hundreds of decent courses to play that will be hugely enjoyable and varied.

Appreciate some people get a kick out of playing high end / exclusive venues but this genuinely doesn't interest me. Would much rather save up that money to afford a second membership at a decent links course when I have time to play more golf.

Might make an exception if I was going to play the Open Rota.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'd ever pay more than £50 for a round of golf. Anything over that just seems way over-the-top to me. No matter how nice the course is you're still playing the same game. I know loads of you will tell me I'm wrong as always, but that's just how I feel. I don't have loads of spare cash so to pay three or even four times what I normally do for a round would leave a bit of a mark really.
I felt the same until I played at Turnberry. The step up was huge, it was different class. I've since played gleneagles and felt exactly the same. They are the only two biggies I've played and they were worth every penny.

The nearest I can compare is if you played Sunday league football and then you were given the chance to play at White Hart Lane, Anfield, Old Trafford etc. Same pitch size, same markings, same goals but an entirely different experience.

Clearly finances come in to this and some of the fees quoted on here are a little scary. However, I would not overlook playing at an elite place if you get the chance, it may open your eyes to the difference between them and regular courses.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Paid $180 for Hard Rock hotel course in the Dom Rep and will be paying $285 to play Teeth of the Dog when I'm back there in October.

Paid £115 for Formby a few years back.

Don't mind paying a bit more if it's something I want to do, you can't take it with you, LT's comparison to playing football at a premier league ground is spot on.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Hopefully you'll get chance if your finances improve, you'll really see the difference.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d pay whatever it was if it was a course I really wanted to play.
In my opinion handicap has to come into it as well, if you’re steady away you’re not going to have too many bad holes, but for the high handicapper you could get really beat up and I wouldn’t get the same enjoyment hacking it about.

D

Deleted member 25172

Say 10, perhaps 15-20 years ago, were the green fee prices as steep for the top courses as they are today, or has the prices climbed excessively the last years?

I'll try and make my way to St Andrews within the next 12 months where I will have no problem paying the going rate, but besides that I cannot see myself playing any other of the other more famous courses unless I've somehow have found a deal. Which is what is good with this place, and why I found it in the first place. :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Think the most I have paid is £125 to play Royal St George’s in the summer. Bought at charity do and
played with three good mates, so just about the perfect day. Think I might have won with my partner.:sneaky:

I have played around 50 of the top 100 GM courses, most in the last five years, and nearly all have been less than £100. Winter rates, twilight rates etc. Played Cinque Ports for £90 last year after 15.00 summer rate. Portrush end of April for £80, Old course St Andrews, New Course and Castle course for £225, and that included £20 food voucher.

Some great deals at Help For Heroes days, as well as Liverbirdie and Lincoln Quaker tours. Latest one Glyn has sorted at Sunningdale is a fantastic deal. Can’t wait.(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been lucky enough to play a lot of good course at less than full cost. It would have to be a special course these days (aside from the fantastic courses we can play cheaper on here thanks to the work of few very hard working individuals) for me to pay full price. There are still many I'd like to play including Royal Birkdale, Carnoustie etc so best I start saving the pennies as they aren't cheap

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I honestly can't remember but I've paid around £100 a few times for some really great courses and I have to say I've enjoyed them all but it's an occasional treat rather than a regular expenditure. Fortunately when I've spent money the weather has been good and I've played at least reasonably some of the time. Spending over £100 to hack around in the rain would not be a lot of fun.