Green fee prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17920

Can't remember.... most trips overseas are packaged fees. Have paid too much a few times

I did refuse to pay £240 for Kingsbarns in 2016, as would have been paying for Donna too....and she wasn't fussed about playing. I thought they were taking the mick...
Get it booked for next year Ian.

It’s only £314 for one round 🤣🤣🤣

Siolag

Visit site
I have promised myself a round at a course with every significant handicap cut. Don't mind the odd big fee, and if I can get good deals at non peak times all the better. I get married in St. Andrews next year and it is already a place with special meaning to my Fiancé and I, so we are going to have a few rounds there.

D

Deleted member 25172

£314!??? Even the price setting is stupid. Why not 310, 315 or 320? Nah, 314 sounds good. I’ll never buy into that there’s an actual reasoning behind that price. It’s simply a matter of: ok, people keep on coming regardless of our current prices so let’s hike them up a bit more. What shall we charge next year, anyone? £314? Yep, sounds good. Decided.

D

Deleted member 17920

£314!??? Even the price setting is stupid. Why not 310, 315 or 320? Nah, 314 sounds good. I’ll never buy into that there’s an actual reasoning behind that price. It’s simply a matter of: ok, people keep on coming regardless of our current prices so let’s hike them up a bit more. What shall we charge next year, anyone? £314? Yep, sounds good. Decided.
I am guessing it’s based around the dollar and a quick google search it’s $398 so

I think they are basing it on a $400 green fee 😱

I have spoken with Kingsbarns about a forum meet. Needless to say the discount on offer wasn’t good enough for a forum meet. Even out of season they don’t need the money. Whilst the Americans are coming over in droves get are reaping the exchange rate and we are been priced out 😢

D

Deleted member 25172

I am guessing it’s based around the dollar and a quick google search it’s $398 so

I have spoken with Kingsbarns about a forum meet. Needless to say the discount on offer wasn’t good enough for a forum meet. Even out of season they don’t need the money. Whilst the Americans are coming over in droves get are reaping the exchange rate and we are been priced out 😢

Oh, look who’s stupid now with my assumption... :)

But still a silly price. I figured as much as the prices are being pushed up by Americans. They were out in force when I was in Carnoustie, and I overheard a conversation between 2 of them coming out from the shop and one of them had bought a vest (amongst many other things as he had 2 bags in his hands filled). “Well man, it was 180 bucks but you know, you just got to have one, don’t you?”

That comment alone says a lot I think.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would guess as a vat registered business, it is :-

this year 240+vat = 288
Next year 260+ vat = 312

edit just realised that isn't 314, ignore me:LOL:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Jesus it hurts enough losing a brand new TP5 @ £4 lt alone forking out £200+ for a round. I guess my max limit is £100, I've played a lot on the Costa Del Sol, Dom Rep, Cuba, and the States but I'm sure there only £60 max (memory loss) also if it's not a a proper comp I'd spend nothing these days, no point shelling out for friendly golf.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

KB is another that really did nothing for me. A few very good holes surrounded by a lot of mediocrity. Nice course, nice location and good condition but you can say the same for lots of "classic" Scottish links. Would never entertain KB's green fee.

dronfield

Visit site
In the past i have played Turnberry, Carnoustie and Muirfield, all on good value winter deals, and whilst the experience was enjoyable, i wouldnt do it again.

It was nice to be able to say that you have walked on the same fairways as the greats, but now my view is that i am simply not a good enough golfer to justify the costs.

These days i would prob only pay £30 max green fee.

Rich

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has anyone forked out these big amounts of cash to play a top course and be bitterly disappointed. Was it the quality of the course that let you down or the welcome/service in the club. If I am paying a huge (three figure green fee) amount of cash, I want my day to be memorable for the right reasons. If you have had a poor experience, did you complain and what was the outcome?

sunshine

Visit site
The most I’ve paid was at Sandy Lane in Barbados. Think with club hire it was around 450ish.

In the uk I’ve paid £100ish for burnham and barrow

I wandered into the clubhouse at Sandy Lane, but when I saw the prices I wandered out again. I'm sure it's a lovely course, but I'm not paying that much for something that isn't even on my bucket list.

Most I've paid would be Kapalua, which was almost $200 with a buggy (compulsory) and club hire. Pound was a lot stronger back then so maybe £150 max, but the real cost was much higher cos I had to buy the wife a massage at the spa while I was playing. It was definitely worth it, stunning course, stunning views, great memories watching the PGA tour event on the course every January.

sunshine

Visit site
I have promised myself a round at a course with every significant handicap cut. Don't mind the odd big fee, and if I can get good deals at non peak times all the better. I get married in St. Andrews next year and it is already a place with special meaning to my Fiancé and I, so we are going to have a few rounds there.

That's a great idea, rewarding yourself for good golf.

Congratulations - Enjoy St Andrew's with your new husband! Wish my wife liked golf as much as I do!

sunshine

Visit site
Don't know why I'm willing to pay so much more abroad. I think it might be that I'm paying for a whole holiday with golf included. If you asked me to hand over that much cash on the day for one round I'd probably say no.

Does the weather have an impact?

In Portugal etc, it's easier to spend the money because you know you're going to enjoy the game in lovely warm weather. In Britain, you can fork out for a top course and end up getting battered by torrential rain and howling gales. I remember playing Royal Liverpool and it was an endurance test rather than fun, just 4 hours of misery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have promised myself a round at a course with every significant handicap cut.
If I did that I should have been going somewhere very expensive when I got cut from 15-12 in January. Sadly those days seem a long time ago and on recent form a trip to a local muni as a reward for a good round still seems out of sight. As I shot buffer on Saturday perhaps I deserve a trip somewhere modest!

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
I wandered into the clubhouse at Sandy Lane, but when I saw the prices I wandered out again. I'm sure it's a lovely course, but I'm not paying that much for something that isn't even on my bucket list.

Most I've paid would be Kapalua, which was almost $200 with a buggy (compulsory) and club hire. Pound was a lot stronger back then so maybe £150 max, but the real cost was much higher cos I had to buy the wife a massage at the spa while I was playing. It was definitely worth it, stunning course, stunning views, great memories watching the PGA tour event on the course every January.

The course was stunning and it was a big trip so thought it was worth it all in all. I played Royal Westmoreland, Apes Hill and Barbados Golf Club while I was over there too. Did you get to play anywhere or did you just leave it after Sandy lane?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone forked out these big amounts of cash to play a top course and be bitterly disappointed. Was it the quality of the course that let you down or the welcome/service in the club. If I am paying a huge (three figure green fee) amount of cash, I want my day to be memorable for the right reasons. If you have had a poor experience, did you complain and what was the outcome?
Sawgrass was disappointing.
Greens were slow .
They made us start on 10th so build up to 17th was not what I expected.
I asked to start on 1st but they just said no.
Clubhouse is awesome and very welcoming.
Played better greens on a $45.00 courses.

sunshine

Visit site
The course was stunning and it was a big trip so thought it was worth it all in all. I played Royal Westmoreland, Apes Hill and Barbados Golf Club while I was over there too. Did you get to play anywhere or did you just leave it after Sandy lane?

No, it all seemed too pricey. If they were world renowned courses I would be happy splashing out, but I hadn't heard of any of these courses.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played The Emirates Faldo course 18months ago, and at £150 for the round that is by a long way the most I have paid for a round of golf. Only reason I paid that amount was simply that I was in Dubai - and not likely to return for some time - and I staying with my cousin and he could sort out decent clubs for me from a friend.

In the UK - not sure - doubt I've paid any more than £50 and I can't actually recall me doing that.

D

Deleted member 25172

Bump.

For some reason I was browsing around checking some courses and noticed that Sunningdale will raise their green fee to £275, up from £230 this year. Dredding what the cost will be when/if a new meet is to be arranged in another years time.

Hope there’s still a decent deal to be made when the time come.