Great Lesson today

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This guy sounds like he's delivering what us golfers need. The 30 mins with a pro on a grass range getting 'eye tweaks' (then helping him pick the balls up) are a thing of the past........or should be.

Pity he's/I'm so far away from him

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry about all these questions, would you recommend the workshop as the best place to start with Alastair?

It suited me as its a bit of a drive so I wanted to justify the journey a bit more. It worked for me, just seemed to better to me that you get your follow up to see how the changes and drills are starting to work so you get much more sense of progress than in a traditional lesson set up where you dont get any real feedback on progress until you have another lesson. Might not be everyone cup of tea because its quite a long session compared to a normal lesson but I wouldnt hesitate to repeat and getting the instant feedback with trackman/video made a huge difference for me

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers fundy, I'll definitely be looking to get onto one of his long game workshops, thanks to your review.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fundy, how you getting on with the pitching/short game with Alistair? I know he's got his technique for this.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fundy, how you getting on with the pitching/short game with Alistair? I know he's got his technique for this.

I did his group pitching session, was excellent and is definitely paying dividends after some practise. His technique as such is not radical in anyway just based on sound fundamentals

Session was 4 of us for 3 hrs (i was the high hcapper). First 45 mins or so was skills test, hitting 2 balls from 5 different stations and going round 5 times so 50 shots in total. Scored as 4 pts for holing it, 2 for inside 3ft and 1 for inside 6ft.

We also then hit 10 or 12 50 yard pitches which were put on camera and trackman. We then reviewed the data, discussed the improvements needed and then practised for an hour or so with various drills with Alistair going round the 4 of us. We then retested our worst stations from the earlier test.

Technically I had a huge error in that my whole left side, especially my leg is collapsing ahead of impact so I have been working on various drills to keep the base solid and allow the top half to rotate against it and this is making me far more consistent. (he had me hitting balls eyes shut, cross legged, weight on one leg etc)

The data was very enlightening and highlighted a small issue with launch angle which has been addressed but mainly a complete inconsistency in clubhead speed (10mph difference between fastest and slowest from 50 yds - quite scary data!) Was nice to compare the stats to those of the +2 lad in the group too, gave a very decent idea of what Im trying to achieve ultimately!

He also gave me drills and a basic routine to use when practising and im now spending a lot of my short game practise on getting some consistent distance control. Biggest hurdle left for me now with it is trusting it on the golf course, and thats slowly starting to come too

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fundy, he sounds top notch. How is this translating onto the scores on the course or haven't you played since?

Still a bit in and out but it doesnt all feel totally natural as yet. Did have a 74 in a comp to come down from 7 to 6 and also had 77 off the whites at Brocket Hall Melbourne the other day, but also still having the odd bad day as well (including Sunday in the horrid weather). Still some areas to work on for sure, a large part of which is fitness related (ive spent years protecting my knackered knee which makes it very hard for me to rotate my left hip, but ultimately thats needed to take things further forward so doing a fair bit of stretching and strength stuff targetted to the areas my body needs)

Games in an ok state and I actually have some structured practises to do (rather than the aimless bits i used to) and practising is actually becoming more fun again. Club champs in a couple of weeks so be an interesting barometer to see where my game is :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will he give you some specific exercises for the fitness or you sourcing them elsewhere. Seems like the winter programme!! That's some good scoring so soon especially getting cut too

He does have a physio that he works with him but I wanted someone closer to home, so I see a local woman who has golf specific experience. I have an initial plan of daily stretching, a pre game warm up and post game stretching. Shes also had some input on my posture and where my movement limitations are having videod and watched me hit shots live. Gonna be quite a long process to reverse 15 years of protecting the knee in the way I have