Gorse tips

devonlad

Club Champion
Visit site
Does any one have any tips on playing out of thick gorse? Its unlike any rougth I have played out of before and practically impossible to control the balls flight path

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer...don't go in it. Gorse bushes give a restricted swing. Are you actually referring to heather as you'd find on classic tracks like North Hants (venue for H4H this year) That's tough to get out of and I tend to grip it tightly as it will try to turn the club over and open the face to compensate and then swing aggressively. Not easy to play anything with too much finesse and so just aim to get it onto the fairway or the green depending where I am

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't be greedy. As above - lots of loft, I'd say no more than 8i and even that's pushing it.

Grip a lot tighter than usual, open the face a touch, ball off back foot and chop down on it as steep as you can. Works for me anyhoo.

D

Deleted member 15344

Would treat it as any area of thick rough - try not to be too greedy - take your punishment

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As said above take your medicine. Treat it as a fairway bunker and just view it as a shot gone and just knock it back onto the nearest safe part of fairway.

Or you could do the Lincoln quaker course management masterclass and hit 3 wood :D