Removing clutch from powakaddy

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The left clutch on my powakaddy has failed, so a new one has been ordered.

Looking at the YouTube "how to" video, a quick tap and out pops the retaining pin

Of course in reality, this is cobblers. Copious WD40 later, still no good.

Anyone managed a DIY themselves have any tips?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Over the years I've replaced a few clutches on several Powakaddys and never had any problems. What are you using to drive out the roll pin? It shouldn't be tapered as the taper will expand the pin and effectively tighten it's grip. Just be sure to put them on the correct side.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Over the years I've replaced a few clutches on several Powakaddys and never had any problems. What are you using to drive out the roll pin? It shouldn't be tapered as the taper will expand the pin and effectively tighten it's grip. Just be sure to put them on the correct side.

I've ordered some proper nail punches, but not sure what you mean about the taper.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've ordered some proper nail punches, but not sure what you mean about the taper.
Tapered pins can only go in one way like a tapered tip on a golf shaft.
Powakaddy don’t use these.
The pins are hollow .

leave the WD40 on overnight
Try a nail but it must be the correct diameter ,make sure you saw the point off first so it dosnt just insert into the pin.

It’s probably just rusted over time so might just need a good smack.
In work to get a rusted pin out we used to warm the steel up with a heat gun.
Try warming the shaft up . Let it cool before fitting the new one.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
In work to get a rusted pin out we used to warm the steel up with a heat gun.
Try warming the shaft up . Let it cool before fitting the new one.

If using heat be very careful you don't melt any plastic!

Nail punches are tapered so won't go all the way through to drive the roll pin out. What you really need is a parallel punch which is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the hole, or as C98 says, a nail with the point filed off.

NearHull

Visit site
If using heat be very careful you don't melt any plastic!

Nail punches are tapered so won't go all the way through to drive the roll pin out. What you really need is a parallel punch which is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the hole, or as C98 says, a nail with the point filed off.
I use these parallel punches when replacing worn parts on my 15/16 year old Powerkaddy . They are the right tools for the task.