Golf Societies & Official Handicaps?

D

Deleted member 15344

Not everyone wants to be a member at a golf club. Many reasons why not, cost being one, not wanting to play the same course every week is another. Golf can be much more accessible, but thats a whole other debate and topic.

You don’t need an official HC to play lots of different courses if that’s your wish - not having an official HC doesn’t stop the sport being accessible to all ?

Plus... there are too many golf clubs in this country. We could do with a few of them shutting down, especially the 90's farmer field courses.

What about the people who enjoy playing those “90’s farmers fields” - a lot of them are the pay and play courses that allow people who don’t want to be a member the ability to still play golf regularly - nice that you have decided we no longer need themm
To your questions, yes the society I'm part of would pay the governing bodies as many of our members are not members of clubs and would like an official handicap. Is that enough of a reason for you?

The ISV license software alone is around £1-2k a year - and why would they like an official HC if they are just playing society golf ?
I've not heard one person every say they joined a golf club because of the perk of having an official handicap.

I know a number of people who pay very small minimal fees at clubs who can maintain a HC for them - there are a number of clubs around the country that fulfill those needs.

OLgolfer

Visit site
You don’t need an official HC to play lots of different courses if that’s your wish - not having an official HC doesn’t stop the sport being accessible to all ?

What about the people who enjoy playing those “90’s farmers fields” - a lot of them are the pay and play courses that allow people who don’t want to be a member the ability to still play golf regularly - nice that you have decided we no longer need themm

The ISV license software alone is around £1-2k a year - and why would they like an official HC if they are just playing society golf ?

I know a number of people who pay very small minimal fees at clubs who can maintain a HC for them - there are a number of clubs around the country that fulfill those needs.

Wow you like to argue your point. All well taken, but maybe understand that not everyone has your opinion. (Farmers fields I said a few of them, not all)

I mentioned in my post that we have members who would like an official handicap but don’t have one because they are not a member anywhere.

Maybe the feeling of having an official handicap means and provides some form of belonging to golf as a game and sport. Maybe the fact that non club members cannot be ‘official’ golfers actually creates a barrier to the game and makes it less accessible. Think about it for a bit, try to see the other side before typing your next reply

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To my mind the biggest plusses for being a member of a golf club are being able to play pretty much whenever I want at no additional cost and the regular competitions (accepted that is only really possible with a handicap system). The handicap itself is just a byproduct of being a member.

I can't remember ever having been asked to give evidence of having a handicap when playing a different course.

Many people don't want to play the same course regularly, but without the financial stability that members provide, a lot of courses would simply have to close.

Love the flexibility on play

Playing tomorrow and Thursday

If it's a comp I'll make sure I'm about where possible

However for example next week I've booked weds and Thurs and we will decide on the Monday or Tuesday which day to play based on forecast