Golf Random Irritations

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Course closed for the 2nd time in a week.......I think the End is Nigh.......
Although they are having an inspection at 11 so might be able to carry this afternoon.
And to think...3 months ago the course was browned to a crisp......:cautious:

theres an odd looking yellow circle in the sky now its stopped raining :eek:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It used to be that golf was viewed as a summer activity, with the course closing for even the mildest of frosts, and obviously for snow.

It has been years now since our course did away with winter greens and any restrictions due to frost. In fact for years the course has only ever closed for snow, and even then they didn't really close it. So we came to enjoy and embrace winter golf in a different way to the summer variety but just as much.

It has all change over the last few years, the summers have been better but what now constitutes a winter is turning golf upside down. Whereas the frost could be tolerated causing little or no damage, this constant rain means no choice but to close the course, or suffer the consequences.

Today's rain is only just hitting the North East now and the course is open, but the consequences for tomorrow and Friday, no matter how nice Friday is, are bleak.
We were forcast rain overnight and above freezing temps last night. Woke up to heavy frost and minus temps. Didn't bother going to go to golf as it would have been winter greens and blooming cold

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Watching the golf from SA and one player just hit a massive duck hook..
Loud shouts and arms raised....
The ball hits what looked like one of the on-course reporters - he didn't move a muscle..
If you're watching a golf tournament you need to keep an eye on what's going on...
If you're an on-course reporter and youre not paying attention...why are you there?:unsure:

Imurg

Visit site
random irritation

why don't golf clubs put on their website the cost of membership, I don't want to talk to you about it, I just want to know if I can feasible afford it, and from there then maybe I can join.

Why so secretive
And it's not just the " if you have to ask you can't afford it" clubs.....ordinary clubs fail on this.
Whilst we're on the subject of club websites...some of them are so dire.
It's nearly 2023 for Christ's sake....some of these sites look like they were designed by the local primary school.
No info, rarely updated - there's one close to me that still has the Covid rules shown and they have no course status....
Really poor.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Watching the golf from SA and one player just hit a massive duck hook..
Loud shouts and arms raised....
The ball hits what looked like one of the on-course reporters - he didn't move a muscle..
If you're watching a golf tournament you need to keep an eye on what's going on...
If you're an on-course reporter and youre not paying attention...why are you there?:unsure:

i liked the commentator saying Mark Warren missing the green from the middle of fairway while 150 yards out was a terrible shot. I've missed greens from 5 yards so would love to hear what he thought about that

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
random irritation

why don't golf clubs put on their website the cost of membership, I don't want to talk to you about it, I just want to know if I can feasible afford it, and from there then maybe I can join.

Why so secretive
I used to write them off as being too expensive, but I actually think it's because they reserve the right to do a deal for certain people or groups of people so not everyone is paying the same. I'd still rather they put a flat rate on there though so you know whether to even consider them or not.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I thought about playing, went to the club for a bit of lunch before deciding, then it started pouring and I decided…to stay dry…but I had a nice bit of lunch and a nice chat with an ex club chairman and fellow Scot…just chewing the cud.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went for a hit of the practice ground at the kings, you use your own balls. A guy wondered over with a carrier bag with balls, he raced through his and then announced he was going to collect his, I let him do so as I wasn't in a rush. He got his and disappeared across the field. Hit the rest of mine and went to collect my balls which were all prov 1 with marking on. The bugger had taken a fair few of mine and left all his Dunlop/pinnacles/ top flights.
Cheeky bugger

Imurg

Visit site
Currently unable to play due to an arthritis flare in my knee so sitting watching golf and footy.....and plotting what golf clubs I'm going to buy next....?
Hate being injured...:mad:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Currently unable to play due to an arthritis flare in my knee so sitting watching golf and footy.....and plotting what golf clubs I'm going to buy next....?
Hate being injured...:mad:
Probably worse ways to spend a late November day..
(Currently resting an aching shoulder)