Golf Random Irritations

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
being told off for my golf clothing by Mrs D.

apparently having 14 pairs of trousers is too much - she hasn't counted the ones in my main wardrobe

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
being told off for my golf clothing by Mrs D.

apparently having 14 pairs of trousers is too much - she hasn't counted the ones in my main wardrobe

I solved that problem, used to buy a nice pair of trousers to wear on a night out so as I can look smart for her then next day they went in the golf drawer where I always intended them to go.

sunshine

Visit site
I realise that, for example, the ProV1 has different markings for each variant but if you don't know what the markings refer to you've no idea what you have.
The last ProV1 was almost completely redesigned, almost nothing carried over from the previous ball...it was a ProV2 at the very least....

Completely redesigned? Really? Or is that marketing speak for a different colour dash?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It irritates me when Golf manufacturers release new equipment with the same name/numbers as the ones being replaced......
This goes for balls - how many AD333s or ProV1s have there been? And if they're different then call the something else or put a year in the name.
All clubs - the new TM 7 series....there's been 3 now. If they can come up with Sim, Stealth, Rocketballz and SLDR they can come with something new...
Some companies manage it...Mizuno and Ping spring to mind.....we're not on the 4th series of G25 for example...
I realise that, for example, the ProV1 has different markings for each variant but if you don't know what the markings refer to you've no idea what you have.
The last ProV1 was almost completely redesigned, almost nothing carried over from the previous ball...it was a ProV2 at the very least....

Agreed, it's a pain in the bum, if you want to check just how old that ProV1 that you've just found actually is though;
https://www.titleist.co.uk/teamtitl...ll-which-year-your-titleist-golf-ball-is-from

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Completely redesigned? Really? Or is that marketing speak for a different colour dash?
If I remember rightly they changed the formulation of the core, the inner cover and the cover itself.
I think they even tweaked the dimple pattern.
If that's not a new ball I don't know what is....thats what they tell us...

D-S

Visit site
If I remember rightly they changed the formulation of the core, the inner cover and the cover itself.
I think they even tweaked the dimple pattern.
If that's not a new ball I don't know what is....thats what they tell us...
I think they also a few years ago changed the ProV 1 x and ProV1 spin round so now an x spins more than the 1, this wasn’t the case earlier.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agreed, it's a pain in the bum, if you want to check just how old that ProV1 that you've just found actually is though;
https://www.titleist.co.uk/teamtitl...ll-which-year-your-titleist-golf-ball-is-from
I read that and nearly split my sides laughing. The average club/pay and play golfer isn't going to notice any difference year on year. It's as bad as let's change the colour of the driver from black to white (and back to black again). Still, it obviously works with the number of golfers being taken in.

Imurg

Visit site
This bloody weather..
Not that the cold bothers me, it's that ground is becoming frozen which makes playing a waste of time..
The Greens freeze so you can't stop a ball and the fairways and approaches thaw and stop the ball on a dime..
You can't pitch up to the pin and you can't roll it up...
Coupled with the thought of any damage done to the turf.
Since I "retired" at the beginning of November I've played less golf than I did in the whole of October.....
That wasn't the plan:oops:

Mandofred

Visit site
This bloody weather..
Not that the cold bothers me, it's that ground is becoming frozen which makes playing a waste of time..
The Greens freeze so you can't stop a ball and the fairways and approaches thaw and stop the ball on a dime..
Since I "retired" at the beginning of November I've played less golf than I did in the whole of October.....
I played yesterday....might be it for a week. I just used my mat everywhere just because I couldn't be bothered with ice balls of worm casts etc. I kind of think it's a hoot to play a couple of times like that.....putting like playing pinball, no idea where it's going. Last hole I hit a perfect wedge onto the front edge of the green and boing boing boing into the beck about 30 feet past the temp green. I was laughing, but I also pointed out to the guy I was playing with that if I was playing for money/comp....that really would have pissed me off.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rain forecast for todays round and I forgot my rain jacket when I left the house today... So annoying...luckily I didn't need it as the temp stayed around 30

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Supposed to play the winter comp at Nairn Dunbar this morning. Got a load of emails at 8am from the others all wanting to.pull out as it was raining hard in Nairn. So we all cancelled only for it to clear up by 9.30 and be sunny the rest of the day ☹️?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had our Gents Christmas comp & lunch today (texas scramble). Course heavily frosted so 18 temp greens but (but still better than many a real green I've played on). Golf was a bit of a lottery with ludicrous bounces etc but it was an absolutely glorious day weather-wise and the company was good so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Came in with a gross par for every hole - pretty good considering the vagaries of the frosted putting surfaces. A gross even par score won it - cos they had a very high handicapper giving them a rather better handicap. But who cares - it was our fun day out ....

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had our Gents Christmas comp & lunch today (texas scramble). Course heavily frosted so 18 temp greens but (but still better than many a real green I've played on). Golf was a bit of a lottery with ludicrous bounces etc but it was an absolutely glorious day weather-wise and the company was good so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Came in with a gross par for every hole - pretty good considering the vagaries of the frosted putting surfaces. A gross even par score won it - cos they had a very high handicapper giving them a rather better handicap. But who cares - it was our fun day out ....

At least it wasn’t won with a 46 like a scramble in the US recently

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This bloody weather..
You just have to laugh it off really. Several holes at my place on Saturday the options were bounce it miles through the back or leave it short in the bunker. Nothing else possible. ? I stopped caring about the score after about two holes.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You just have to laugh it off really. Several holes at my place on Saturday the options were bounce it miles through the back or leave it short in the bunker. Nothing else possible. ? I stopped caring about the score after about two holes.

It’s good for getting out in the fresh air, practice for playing different shots and just having a laugh at the comical bounces.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Believe it or not, a few years ago someone scored 45 points in the Grims Dyke Rabbit Run (3 clubs + putter) in similar conditions.

Imurg

Visit site
Maybe it's because I did the playing in all weather bit back in the 90's........
Certainly for the last 10-15 years I've not been one for playing in frozen conditions just for the want of playing...
Just doesn't float my boat anymore....