Golf Random Irritations

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That's just as insane, surely they should be stamped 1-7 ? :sneaky:

Below are the specs.
If you shifted the iron number by two, making the 5 the 3 etc, then the lofts follow pretty much what I call the optimum for a sensible set:
SW 56°
PW 52°
9i 48°
8i 44°
and so on with 4 degree gaps to the 3 iron of 24°

This is why so few people carry a 3 or 4 iron nowadays, because their 5 and 6 irons have the lofts of 3 and 4 irons of yesteryear.

1656416568778.png

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Does this mean that the 3-iron would be 18d and a 2-iron 15d ?
What the heck would the 1-iron be?
Or have the numbers 1, 2 and 3 ceased to exist, just like the numbers 2 and 4 for woods?

25 years from now, will there be a 13-iron with sets starting at 6-iron?

Am I babbling for nothing or just not embracing the changes (or both) ?

Well, I didn't "just leave it there" did I?

I feel better now, however.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To my mind, all manufacturers should just put the loft figure in degrees on irons, then everyone would know where they stand. I realise they won’t, as they like jacking the lofts for numbered irons to make gullible buyers think they hit the ball further with them. Ooooo, I’ve just hit this 7 iron 20 yards longer than my current 7 iron … must buy these. But it has 4 degrees less loft!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To my mind, all manufacturers should just put the loft figure in degrees on irons, then everyone would know where they stand. I realise they won’t, as they like jacking the lofts for numbered irons to make gullible buyers think they hit the ball further with them. Ooooo, I’ve just hit this 7 iron 20 yards longer than my current 7 iron … must buy these. But it has 4 degrees less loft!
Cleveland do this, I used to have some CG16 irons. I think they stand alone though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Cleveland do this, I used to have some CG16 irons. I think they stand alone though.
Hogan and Tommy Armour had loft specified on the clubs back in the early days of their clubmaking ('50s?). Wasn't a great success. Others have printed loft on the toe and I have heard of one mfr who did loft only that a Pro used. Can't remember who, as it was eons ago.

It's a marketing swizz that doesn't actually matter to me until someone claims their new irons are much better than min as they are hitting them a club or more further than mine. Not so cocky when I point out that their 7i has he same loft as my 5i!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
People who enter knock outs but are never available to play.
Through to the 3rd round in both ours without playing a single game?.
Knockouts at my place are now poorly supported, the higher handicap pairs event only had 2 pairs enter, straight to the final then !
I no longer enter the singles or pairs, simply can’t be arsed with all the faffing around with available / unavailable / late withdrawal dates.
There may be case for putting aside days and tee times in the diary for the rounds to be played on ? But no doubt this will create as many issues as it solves…

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Range open until 2200, get there at 2000, only to be told it's closed - nothing on the website or any social media platforms.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Being 8" away from a hole in one on Saturday. Would have been my first.
Was annoying for a couple of reasons - it didn't go in and it was the only par 3 that didn't have a NP prize.

On the plus side, I got a share of the 2s pot and also doubled my money in the Beat the Pro comp.
Every cloud.....:p

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The England Golf app via HDIDO/ClubV1 not allowing me to sign in on my phone.....
It let Fragger in - obviously it knows he's a power-hungry Mod - but I even logged out and back in again and it still kicked me out.
Still able to sign in via the terminal....
Me no unnerstan:oops: