Golf Random Irritations

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
WHS. Shot 38 points yesterday off the yellows (score diif = 12) and lost and 84 (presumably off the whites as it was May last year after lockdown and score diff of 12.6) and stayed exactly where I am handicap wise. Frustrated as I played really well in windy conditions and straight after a lesson and really worked hard to post a score especially not scoring on 5 and only one pint on 6 and to get no handicap reward has cheesed me off. At least under the old system I would have got cut for being under CSS and had that gone up because of the conditions the cut would have been even higher

I guess a benefit you can take is that all the work you're putting in now should pay real dividends once the weather and conditions improve. A friend of mine had a similar winter improvement a few seasons ago which continued through to the spring / summer and a real drop in his handicap. Hopefully the same for you

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Blatant ageism by golf clubs only running senior opens, unless you play in a mixed event.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess a benefit you can take is that all the work you're putting in now should pay real dividends once the weather and conditions improve. A friend of mine had a similar winter improvement a few seasons ago which continued through to the spring / summer and a real drop in his handicap. Hopefully the same for you

That's the plan. Got a short game refresher booked for mid-March so I'm looking to carry over the improvements from Thursdays lessons and then blend in a tidier short game. I put the Anser Cadence back in the bag which worked well and in the process of getting my original Ping Anser 2 reshafted and regripped (Triggers broom) and the plan is to go back to that solid faced model. My putting has been improving with the work I put in each summer on the putting green with my Vision template and gates so hoping using a blade (preferred) rather than a larger putter like my Odyssey 2 ball fang will generate confidence on top of a grooved stroke. My current PH is 13.4 (14 off the yellow and 15 off the white in general play and 13 and 14 respectively in comps) and the aim is to get the PH down to 12 this season and then kick on

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the day off today with a mate and a round booked at Ealing. Never played there before - and still haven't as we've cancelled it due to the miserable weather. Oh well. Off to Big Shots instead, not quite the same. ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
A new set of Mizuno MP 20 mb arrived this morning, along with a notification from the club that due to yesterday's rain the course is closed, and although the sun is currently shining the rest of the week looks pretty grim.

Thank you storm Dudley (said in a West Mid's accent) and Eunice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Already scratched the rest of the week...
Biblical rain all morning....we'll be lucky to be open tomorrow let alone carry only..
And then the 40-70mph gusts come in
Anything over 35 and it's pointless playing in my book.
Looking possible for next Wednesday though.....

sunshine

Visit site
Had the day off today with a mate and a round booked at Ealing. Never played there before - and still haven't as we've cancelled it due to the miserable weather. Oh well. Off to Big Shots instead, not quite the same. ?

The course at Ealing is situated on the flood plain of the river Brent. The land all along that part of the river from Perivale down to Brentford is just parks, football pitches and golf courses because it's liable to flood and is not suitable for anything else. Planning to play golf on any of those courses at this time of year (and taking a day off!) is very optimistic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The course at Ealing is situated on the flood plain of the river Brent. The land all along that part of the river from Perivale down to Brentford is just parks, football pitches and golf courses because it's liable to flood and is not suitable for anything else. Planning to play golf on any of those courses at this time of year (and taking a day off!) is very optimistic.
We had about 2 weeks without any rain not so long ago. Anyway, wouldn't have wanted to play anywhere today in the end, absolutely chucking it down all day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had about 2 weeks without any rain not so long ago. Anyway, wouldn't have wanted to play anywhere today in the end, absolutely chucking it down all day.

You won't be playing Ealing for a good few weeks now after Dudley and Eunice have done their work. My course had been drying up nicely in recent weeks but the prone spots will get soggy again before the weekend and with the winds forecast it'll be an round of attrition. My only faint hope (as us golfers do) is the strong winds will help dry it out again

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
That's the plan. Got a short game refresher booked for mid-March so I'm looking to carry over the improvements from Thursdays lessons and then blend in a tidier short game. I put the Anser Cadence back in the bag which worked well and in the process of getting my original Ping Anser 2 reshafted and regripped (Triggers broom) and the plan is to go back to that solid faced model. My putting has been improving with the work I put in each summer on the putting green with my Vision template and gates so hoping using a blade (preferred) rather than a larger putter like my Odyssey 2 ball fang will generate confidence on top of a grooved stroke. My current PH is 13.4 (14 off the yellow and 15 off the white in general play and 13 and 14 respectively in comps) and the aim is to get the PH down to 12 this season and then kick on

Sounds like you need a handicap challenge in the lead up to H4H. Highest index on the day outs £10 in the pot?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
And you were having a pop at me, didn't you shoot 73 or something the other day?? ?

If you’re referring to the Trilby Tour comment, that was quite clearly a joke.

Yes, I shot 73 on Sunday and also 79 a few weeks ago. However, I have also said that we are on a shorter course in the winter which is making scoring easier, and is therefore preventing us from putting cards in. Our par is 69, but CR is 66 so even the 73 would only be playing to 7.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you’re referring to the Trilby Tour comment, that was quite clearly a joke.

Yes, I shot 73 on Sunday and also 79 a few weeks ago. However, I have also said that we are on a shorter course in the winter which is making scoring easier, and is therefore preventing us from putting cards in. Our par is 69, but CR is 66 so even the 73 would only be playing to 7.
Haha, no worries, I was also joking - 7 still a fair bit better than 16 though! I think my best ever was about 10 over par. But I guess we should both be coming down this year anyway. (y)