Golf Random Irritations

Jason.H

Visit site
If you’re referring to the Trilby Tour comment, that was quite clearly a joke.

Yes, I shot 73 on Sunday and also 79 a few weeks ago. However, I have also said that we are on a shorter course in the winter which is making scoring easier, and is therefore preventing us from putting cards in. Our par is 69, but CR is 66 so even the 73 would only be playing to 7.
At our club it is playing slightly shorter because of winter mats/tees. We are still having stablefords and recording scores.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing badly and getting soaked. Three of the group wanted to walk off the 14th and down the last as we weren't in the hunt for the roll up pot and most of the others had called it a day. We had one guy ticking along so we stayed out to give him a chance. One point, one point, one point, two points he scored on the last four for a measly 33 points. Nowhere near the 40 needed to win and he'd have lost on 39 on countback. We made sure he got us a beer and some chips to ease the chill

Tinkerman

Visit site
Buying a pocket ball cleaner during the week and then forgetting to take it with me yesterday.
Although given the amount of mud the ball left on my towel it would have been useless after a few holes ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hitting a ball yesterday and getting sprayed head to toe in mud droplets. Normally I'd laugh as the ridiculousness of how I looked but I was wearing my waterproof jacket which up to that point was pristine ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Great pro at Brora, really nice chap

Lovely course and v pleased to have walked off with a birdie at the last ?
Those are rare as hens teeth on that hole, many s the times I've had a good score ruined by the 18th. Was going to join as a country member this year but, done these things before and me joining usually culminates with me not playing where ever again while I'm a member?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the legs coming detached from my bag halfway through the round.

Looks easy enough to fix just need to find somewhere to order the screw fitting.

Anyone got any ideas?

2EBB995C-1605-4D7B-8C6C-B978CC97F8A0.jpeg

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I haven't been able to play for over two weeks, either the course has been closed or I haven't been able to fit it in. Today was the day.

Today the sky was blue, sun shining, wind down, and it wasn't too cold, and I had slept badly. My neck and left shoulder were so sore and stiff I couldn't turn my shoulders without turning my head.

It must have been a joy for my playing partners watching me hit half shots with my head turning so far right I lost sight of the ball and found myself guessing where the ball was on my downswing. All while in pain.

I lasted 10 holes before walking home gutted.

I'm supposed to be playing tomorrow. If there is a golfing god I'll wake up in the morning feeling fine.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went to the club for a game. Was expecting a full 18 but as soon as the others rock up and say "we're only doing 9" Why not let me know upfront so I can make a decision if I want to go out with you or swap for a later slot or wait and go out on my own for 18 later

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know it's hard enough to get people to fix pitchmarks on greens but it's even harder to get them to fix pitchmarks on fringes...
OK, you can't fix it until you've played but some of the deep furrows I've seen over the last few weeks are ridiculous
I'd come up short on a hole with a front pin.
I wanted to putt but 3 inches in front of my ball was a hole the size of Wales made by someone's ProV...
It meant I had to chip..a much harder shot to cover the 6 yards to the pin...
Annoying....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Went for a few hole this afternoon but before going out I spent maybe 45mins on the range. Very successful, finishing up with really good 15min session with my driver.

And so immediately to the 1st tee full of beans - to find three ladies about to go out - they let me go before them. Of course my BIG mistake, after thanking them, was saying that I couldn't promise I'd hit the ball very far...I topped it...it went about 75yds. I smiled my best smile...and said...ah well...my next will be a lot better than that.

Golf...:rolleyes:

Mike79

Visit site
Being organised and getting a Saturday morning tee time when the 15 day window opened, inviting other new members along and both of them bail on the Friday (one in afternoon and one at 8pm).

I’ve now got a solo round tomorrow and nobody to sign the card for handicap.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it's hard enough to get people to fix pitchmarks on greens but it's even harder to get them to fix pitchmarks on fringes...
OK, you can't fix it until you've played but some of the deep furrows I've seen over the last few weeks are ridiculous
I'd come up short on a hole with a front pin.
I wanted to putt but 3 inches in front of my ball was a hole the size of Wales made by someone's ProV...
It meant I had to chip..a much harder shot to cover the 6 yards to the pin...
Annoying....
Is your club not on winter rules? If you're on the fringe surely you can move the ball 6" sideways?
(But I do agree that people should repair pitchmarks on the fringe, of course)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is your club not on winter rules? If you're on the fringe surely you can move the ball 6" sideways?
(But I do agree that people should repair pitchmarks on the fringe, of course)
We are and I could have moved it but I was only playing solo and not really scoring..similar scenario very possible when WRs are off..

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played an away day with the society today in Northumberland, drove the ball like an idiot but chipped and putted like a god, walked in with 39 points.
The software has cut me from 13 to 8 ?
Does that mean I can now class myself as a single figure handicap golfer ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had a big issue with my chips on Sunday

I suspect the oil was old or not hot enough, anyway had to send them back for another load